Can I work with a student visa?

Yes you can work legally. Just make sure you have the DNI. The employer is not going to investigate how you have you DNI or residency as long as the DNI is not expired. All they want is DNI and CUIL. I have lots of friends with expired student visas, but since their DNI is not expired, they still work with zero issues(TAM Airlines, TeleTech, Garbarino, Galicia).....yes, the irony LOL
But how do you get the DNI, do they give you it along with the student visa? Or do you have to apply for residency using your student visa, and the residency will allow you to get a DNI?

Richard is right, to become a foreign student at the UBA and get a visa that way, you will have to first request a voucher/coupon from the Argentine Consulate in your city.

Or you could enroll in a private university, but that has a significantly higher price tag (not free).

As for working on a student visa, I am pretty sure you can.
What's the coupon for?

What's the coupon for?

I don't know what he's referring to. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

I know this an old thread but for the benefit of future searchers of relevant keywords who might end up on this thread, I'll leave this here:

The most straightforward and fastest way to get a temporary residency (colloquially referred to as a visa) as a student is to enter Argentina as a tourist, having already sent pre-registration materials and documentation to your university in advance. Then once you are registered with the university you can request your Constancia de inscripcion and certificado de alumno regular and request a turno at Migraciones with the other necessary documentation as listed on their website. (Of course it is likely that they will request additional documentation or you'll be missing a stamp, but you should anticipate this and go with at least what you know they officially require! This is your first lesson in Argentine bureaucracy. :) )

Yes, you can work with temporary residency obtained for being a student. Your DNI expires when your temporary residency expires and you have to request a new one when you go and renew your temp residency. ( If you have permanent residency your DNI expires but not for
10 or 15 years)

Yes, you can change your residency obtained for being a student from temp to permanent at the third renewal.

All this information is clearly on the website of the Direccion Nacional de Migraciones. I'm not trying to be provocative but I seriously think that anyone considering studying in university here (especially the UBA) who cannot locate and understand this information on the Migraciones website should seriously evaluate whether they have the language skills and resiliency necessary to pursue a degree here. :(

That's good info Kettle - seems you can try to get the student visa before or after coming, which is good to know.

That said, I would hardly consider the Migraciones website easy to understand or very specific. If I had to rely on the migraciones website to get my permanent residency, it would have taken me no less than 15 years with all the back and forth and I understand Spanish perfectly. :p

The question "Can I work with a student visa?" has been asked several times. I believe the answer has always been yes, but I don't remember if anyone posted whether or not the employer must be registered with migraciones to hire foreigners.

Cerati posted that "The employer is not going to investigate how you have you DNI or residency as long as the DNI is not expired." but isn't there still a risk to the employer if AFIP investigates?

If you are already here, there is really no such thing as a student "visa". You simply make an appointment at migraciones and take all the required documents, including those your school needs to provide, and a few weeks later you get your DNI (you'll get a "precaria" the same day - please note you won't be able to get a CUIT/CUIL with that precaria, you need to wait for your DNI to arrive). But you don't get a "visa", you get a temporary DNI, which is just like everyone else's, except it says "Temporario" in red letters and it expires after your first year of college (you have to renew it every year). You can go to AFIP or Anses to get your CUIT/CUIL with that, and you'll be able to work legally

As many here have said, UBA is too complicated unless you enroll for a Master's degree, which of course, is not free. I suggest you check out the Carreras de 2 años offered at UB (Universidad de Belgrano). It's not as expensive as a regular degree, it's just a 2-year commitment, you only go to class 3 hours from Monday to Thursday (in the morning or in the evenings), and in 2 years you'll have an extra degree in something that might actually be useful (it's similar to a "terciario" degree but provided by a university, consider it a minor): small-business administration, travel agent, programming, etc.

But most importantly, you'll get your student visa and you'll be able to stay and work here legally.

The question "Can I work with a student visa?" has been asked several times. I believe the answer has always been yes, but I don't remember if anyone posted whether or not the employer must be registered with migraciones to hire foreigners.

Cerati posted that "The employer is not going to investigate how you have you DNI or residency as long as the DNI is not expired." but isn't there still a risk to the employer if AFIP investigates?

It is my understanding that the employer does not need to be registered with Migraciones / "eligible" to hire foreigners to employ a foreigner who has temporary residency as a student. You just need a CUIL and a DNI so they can register you with AFIP and make the necessary tax contributions (aportes) in your name. Migraciones and AFIP are pretty separate; however, temporary CUILs may eventually expire in the system and cause problems, I don't know.

However, if an employer wants to petition on your behalf (via a pre-contract to be presented at Migraciones) for your application for temporary residency as a "trabajador migrante" they will have to be registered with the ReNURE of the Dirección Nacional de Migraciones. (Just as any educational, degree-granting institution who wants to "sponsor" foreigners for residencies as students. I had an issue once renewing my temporary residency because the UBA hadn't renewed their registration yet.) This requires being in good standing with AFIP, having your bookkeeping and actas in order, as you have to present the most recent documents to register. So it's maybe not something a business that does a lot of off-the-books stuff would want to bother with (restaurants, for example, hostels, or language institutes).

Basically I think the issue is that most small businesses are not really interested in taking this trámite on because it's not worth it to them. And medium/large businesses, unless they work with a lot of non-Mercosur foreigners because they are a multinational or the local branch/subsidiary of a US or European corporation, aren't educated on this issue and would rather not take on the hassle of petitioning on your behalf. They just see a foreigner and think, ugh, paperwork, what's in it for me??

Anyway, here are the requirements for getting residency as a "trabajador migrante" here: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexN.php?nomercosur_temporaria (Click on the section entitled "Trabajador Migrante")

In my opinion the website is fairly straighforward, but I guess it's a matter of opinion. If you have a question regarding specific details of your immigration status/application, unfortunately, like many things, it's best to go and inquire personally! A pain in the neck, but if you factor into your timeline, at least you don't have to rush. :(

The residency is like the green card: a permit to live and work here.

Afip has nothing to investigate, if the employer pays the 931, that's Ok,

The employer only cares about if you have precaria or not.

Back