Can someone please tell me how to turn on this oven?

RogueTango

Registered
It is an old one.. prob from seventies? it's got one dial with for symbols and anouther with #'s
this may seam like a silly question but there is no one here to ask. and im starving ...

If it's like mine, turn the gas dial on and press in...

as you try to light the oven with a match...or lighter...

and don't release the button for about 30 seconds...

BE CAREFUL!!!

Mine lights like Steve described. I usually need a match though. I lighter wont get in to the little indentation to get at the gas.

as mini posted, the little indentation equals the hole in the bottom of the oven...

or if there is a "broiler" and another door below...

open it and light from below..

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!!!!!

Yes there is a broiler, thats how it lights. Weve got a sparky thing to light it. Trick was there is a valve on the wall next to it (its a wall oven) that turns the gas on. DING ding ding!

Thanks guys..

RogueTango said:
Yes there is a broiler, thats how it lights. Weve got a sparky thing to light it. Trick was there is a valve on the wall next to it (its a wall oven) that turns the gas on. DING ding ding!

Thanks guys..

Aha........!

I have learned how to cook without the oven... it's all stovetop for me because I hate (and am actually incapable of) lighting the damned stove!

Good on you, Rogue. Way to stick with it. It really is amazing how much you can do on the stovetop though...

ask for help to the doorman of the building, usually he will give the best way to do it, also take into acount if there is an extra key to let the gas in just for the oven if it is not part of the stove

The valve at the wall is called "llave (valve) de paso". Argentines usually close it when they leave for a few days or some even before going to bed. It is a precaution just in case there is a leakage or malfunction of the oven. And also it is the valve you close whenever the oven needs maintenance.

Back