Can Someone Tell Me the Good Stuff?

Unfortunately there are plenty of expats that are tired of so much venting. I lived in 6 different countries and I would not have dared to complain half as much without having learned the language of the host country. I took the time to read, research, learn the language and spend quality time with local folks before coming to such quick conclusions. While I do agree there are many chaotic issues in the city, we need to be realistic and admit that if you are here; and not in you home country, there has to be a reason. We need to be individually candid about that and I bet some of those negative points, obviously not all, might fade away.

CDNinBA said:
The friends i've made in Argentina will be friends for life.

You will be in for a big dissapointment.

Try to don't contact for a week and see if they care

Argentines(with very few exeptions) are just very self-centered and basically only care about there family and life-long friends. Argentines do have good friends but they are normally not foreigners, even not if you are living here a long time and intend to stay

I by the way NEVER pick up the tab, I easily could but I just won't. Some times I do invite a good friend for a drink but that are the kind of friends I know that they are not taking advantage of me, do have a steady income and if I get something in return(like begin able to crash at there place or he picking me up from a train station with a car and stuff like that)

People in Argentina are very nice. But everywhere you'll find bad people. You just have to be careful and do not trust in everyone.

Hi there
You will be surprised to hear from me here, I'm actually Argentinean but I left my country many years ago. I live in London now but I'm moving back to BA soon with my family. I have 2 kids (aged 5 and 1, born in France and UK) and I feel anxious about them. However, I'm sure if you learn where you can go and where you can't things will run easy.
I'll be very happy to meet other expats with young kids in the Nunez/ Belgrano/Saavedra area, where we will live. We can exchange feelings and experiences. And of course, kids can make friends easier (you will notice that sometimes in BA is a bit hard to make friends if you do not speak spanish!).
Hope to hear from you soon, we are arriving in November
cheers

Sailing on the Rio de La Plate , anchoring up in the Delta for a nice alfresco lunch , taking a nap onboard.

Trying to get the thread back on the OP question. Not sinking into another sad complaint filled rant. if you are not happy , it is your own fault.

BAwithkids said:
After reading the very sad post by Ptolemy about the horrendous thing that happened to him and his family, ..

What happened? I tried searching for this but couldn't find what you are referring to?

Don´t get scared off by the people who complain, or scared by the news. There is crime here, but it is as safe (or unsafe) as New York. I would dare say there is more robbery in Argentina and more violent crime (rape, assault, masacres with guns) in the US.
Whatever you do, don´t:
drive around in a new car, or a somewhat new car. Get a car that is banged up but runs well.
Don´t leave your notebook computer unattended, ever.
Flash your visa gold card or a wad of cash.
brag about where you live or how much money you make (being from the US, it is natural for me to tell people about the projects I am doing or how well things are going. My husband is always telling me to keep a low profile.)
Trust the police, or expect them to help you. I called 911 once and got no answer. Don´t invite them into your home or even expect them to give you directions (most cops have no idea where they are, except for some friendly tourist police running around San Telmo on Sundays).
It is all relative: in Buenos Aires people will entrust random taxis to deliver valuable stuff or wads of cash (in an envelope). Would I ever do this in New York? Hell no!

Back