Can the following be found in BA?

I personally miss bloody marys the most! I have been all over the city and have found only 1 store that sells tomato juice and forget about finding bloody mary mix!

Carrefour sells V8 juice. Only just started importing the stuff.

Can also buy tabasco, worcester sauce, lemons, salt, pepper and any other things you want to put in your bloody marys.

Rejoice!

How about Ketchup...yes, you can find ketchup here, but the quality is horrid (or at least not what I'm used to). I actually found a bottle of Heinz at Disco, but it was like $5USD for a small bottle. boooooooo

And I just admit, the jars of jelly on the shelves look so lonely without the jars of peanut butter next to them :-(

jp said:
Carrefour sells V8 juice. Only just started importing the stuff.

Can also buy tabasco, worcester sauce, lemons, salt, pepper and any other things you want to put in your bloody marys.

Rejoice!

Yes, we saw a 16oz bottle of V8 once at Coto too but had to pass on it considering it was US$7 - we love our V8, but come on...

after eating the ice cream here, you will find some stores with more than 28 flavors. it's almost as many flavors as Jelly Bellys..

You will substiture dulce de leche for peanut butter.

The chocolate at Bonafide is BETTER than Hersheys.

And yes you will find the USA beers but you will also like Quilmes, "the Bud" of Argentina.

You will have to make mac and cheese from scratch...

Gum...... the gum here is not very good.... My sister-in-law supplied me with 2 years worth so if you need some, let me know! :)

The ice cream is AWESOME here if you go to the right places.

Bring good walking shoes and if you wear a baseball cap, prepared to stick out in the crowd as a United States tourist (or statesor as I call them).

The tap water in BA is very yummy but you can not order it at restaurants (usually), they will give you bottles (which is ok, but sometimes expensive) and unless you like seltzer water, ask for agua "sin gas" not "con gas".

MAKE 5-8 COPIES OF YOUR PASSPORT BEFORE YOU ARRIVE. You do NOT want to carry your actual passport so it will not get stolen, but you need to have some identity. When you exchange dollars for pesos, you may need to have your passport but some of the....lets say "non official" money changers do not require it.

A great hostel is El Sol in Recoleta. Very secure and very cool owner!! He is an expat as well.

For cab rides from the airport, ONLY get a ride from a taxi that actually has a counter in the airport, unless you like to take chances with your stuff, bodily organs or your life.

Well thats some of what I have learned from being here for 2 days so far.....

Good luck!!

gsi16386 said:
How about Ketchup...yes, you can find ketchup here, but the quality is horrid (or at least not what I'm used to). I actually found a bottle of Heinz at Disco, but it was like $5USD for a small bottle. boooooooo

And I just admit, the jars of jelly on the shelves look so lonely without the jars of peanut butter next to them :-(

I agree about the jam but not the ketchup.... Im ok with the ketchup..

:)

The skippy that sells in Jumbo is only about 10 pesos, if I remember correctly, but the only brand is Skippy creamy, and you can definitely find Hershey's chocolate around (even the one with almonds!). What I miss from the states most of all are the bed sheets. Here a top quality sheet is 250 count, MAYBE 300, and expensive!!! It's like sleeping on cardboard. Definitely bring Cayenne Pepper if you cook, as well as quality Maple Syrup if you think you'll be missing pancakes or french toast, and I bring corn tortillas with me every time. There are other things I miss, but one has to 'learn' that sort of thing as it is all personal preference. Oreos you can find here, but to me they taste different (worse, sweeter, strange) so even though you can get them, you might want to bring your own pack.

If I were to go home right now, besides bed sheets I would bring back a box of See's Chocolate, the nuts and chews box, dried fruit (it almost all has sugar added into it here, and it is expensive), beef jerky (can't get it here), sea salt (I saw it once available and then never again), and underclothes (as the quality of women's intimates is horrible, all polyester).

Good luck!

BA Bound Jan2010 said:
Yes, we saw a 16oz bottle of V8 once at Coto too but had to pass on it considering it was US$7 - we love our V8, but come on...

All part of the confusing magic of BA.
A bottle of V8 costs the same as a bottle of smirnoff.
A kilo of steak costs the same as a kilo of rice.

I'd agree its too expensive, but given that there's nothing else like it, its a happy luxury.

SaraSara said:
Maple syrup would be very welcome - pecan pie is just not the same without it.
Hold on here...............are you saying that you like to put maple syrup on pecan pie? Now there is a real sweet tooth. It has to take at least a week to recover from that one.

Back