Can the following be found in BA?

ghost said:
Hold on here...............are you saying that you like to put maple syrup on pecan pie? Now there is a real sweet tooth. It has to take at least a week to recover from that one.

No, no....! I meant that I use maple syrup to make make pecan pie. Tried using molasses but it is a very poor second, in my opinion.

SaraSara said:
No, no....! I meant that I use maple syrup to make make pecan pie. Tried using molasses but it is a very poor second, in my opinion.

Have you thought of trying miel de caña? I've never made a pecan pie but being familiar with both molasses and maple syrup I would say that miel de caña is closer to the taste and consistency of maple syrup than is molasses.

jp said:
Carrefour sells V8 juice. Only just started importing the stuff.

Can also buy tabasco, worcester sauce, lemons, salt, pepper and any other things you want to put in your bloody marys.

Rejoice!

I haven't seen horseraddish anywhere though.

flippinkittin said:
I haven't seen horseraddish anywhere though.

There definitely is horseradish. I have a jar of it in the fridge. Of course I can't remember where I bought it. Probably at the Jumbo, if not at the Disco.

What's the point of finding all those things in BA ? I mean, you are living in BA and Argentina for God knows how long. Why don't you use the chance of trying new things you can't get (or at least not so easily) back at home? This is something I really don't understand.

Malbec..it is just you get used to having certain things.. It would be like going to the USA... after living and growing up in Argentina... and giving up duche de leche, mate, malbec, and empanadas..... sure you could be fine without those things.....
but if you like them you like them.. so some of us here like to have certain foods we grew with.. and are used to...
trust me I enjoy many things here that are made here.. but every once and a while it is nice to have something with some spice or make food that you cant get here....

Malbec..it is just you get used to having certain things.. It would be like going to the USA... after living and growing up in Argentina... and giving up duche de leche, mate, malbec, and empanadas..... sure you could be fine without those things.....
but if you like them you like them.. so some of us here like to have certain foods we grew with.. and are used to...
trust me I enjoy many things here that are made here.. but every once and a while it is nice to have something with some spice or make food that you cant get here....
Exactly that is what I mean. I grew up with dulce de leche, alfajores and all those things. I've spent 10 years living in Europe and was happy of not having dulce de leche and alfajores! Things that were boring after so many years of overdose.
Isn't it enough to bring a jar of peanut butter if you fly once a year back to the US?

Is it really an awful thing for people to be homesick and want comforts that remind them of home? Sometimes it's hard to be in such a foreign culture, and you want some of the things you grew up with.

If you check out a pharmacy here youll see tiny small packages. This is the norm in general in Argentina. They have never known abundance. Its always like Germany right after the war here!

So, if you want a huge bottle of antacids or aspirin etc., then buy that at home where it is easy to find and often many sales. Here they are stingy.

I also ask for pepto bismol. Sanitation is poor and food often isnt fresh (fish, stuff left out in the heat all day long, bathroom with no soap or towel for the workers,, etc), youll be needing it even after eating in the best of restaurants.

And bring sheets and towels. They cost a fortune here and even then are low thread count. Back home you can buy good sheets on sale.

One thing you cant bring with you is clean air. youll be missing it. BA is horribly polluted as no vehicle is inspected. public buses are the worst ive ever seen. Cant keep up with the greasy soot in my apt. It blackens everything.

Back