Can you make local calls with Skype?

Are you sure that calling from an international phone to an Argentine cell phone uses up cell phone credits? It costs about 2 cents per minute to call a BsAs landline from the US or from Skype. And about 21 cents per minute to call a BsAs cell pone from the US or Skype. I was under the impression that the difference in cost was compensating for the fact that in Argentina the calling party pays for the call.

Interested in thoughts you might have about this.

Unless they changed something recently, yes, calling a cellphone from Skype uses the receiver's credit as well. I have had this problem every time I tried to call my wife when she was here and I was in the States on business. Although, it's been almost a year, so if something changed in that time, cool.

Sadly I don't think anything has changed. Calling from Skype is much like calling a cell phone from a locutorio which charges the receiving person.

I think the principle is that on a cell to cell call, at least one of the companies is making some money, but on a skype or locutorio call, no cell company is getting richer so they charge the person being called to compensate.

I wonder why there is such a price discrepancy then for the calling party when calling a cell phone versus a landline in Argentina from abroad or skype?

Back