Can you make money babysitting?

laureltp

Registered
I have a question. I am in the middle of trying to put together an unfurnished apartment and I have a baby so even if my boyfriend has a pretty good salary I'd like to be able to pitch in a little extra money.

I teach a few English classes but I am getting tired of it. I was thinking of trying to get a job but I am not sure how much I would need to pay a baby sitter, I have hear around 20 pesos an hour. I don't really qualify for a great job so chances are I would be making less than that per hour so it wouldn't be worth it.

A friend suggested that maybe I try baby sitting other kids since I have to stay at home with my baby anyway. So I have a couple questions.

My Spanish isn't really that great, are there people out there who would be interested in an English speaking baby sitter?

I would rather have the kid(s) come to my apartment. It's small, so I can keep track of them easily and it's safe. Would there be people who would be okay with dropping their kids off here or are they more likely to want me to come to their place? (we are in palermo near plaza italia and the d line, so its fairly easy to get to.

What is a standard rate to charge here for baby sitting?

Besides having my own little guy I have done a lot of baby sitting for my older brothers and sisters. I also used to teach dance class for kids between 3 and 12 so I do know what I am doing, they can trust me and I do have experience with kids of all ages. I have a lot of patience and I really enjoy kids, they don't take life so seriously so they are kind of refreshing :).

Besides possibly this forum, where else might be places that I could advertise for offering a service like this?

From what I know $ 20 pesos would be the minimum. If you mean a Portena babysitter and not a country bumpkin, you are probably looking at around $ 25-30 pesos an hour.

Back