Canadian Tourist Stabbed in San Telmo for Cellular

Seems they aim at tourists? perhaps they look for more expensive Cellulars? and or Cash..

The guy was completely drunk, alone in a dangerous neighborhood at 4:00 a.m.

Might as well have carried a giant sign saying: "ROB ME.....!"

Hotels and hostels could warn their guests about risky neighborhoods. My cousin used to provide her Washington, DC, visitors with a map with the safe areas highlighted. None was robbed.

It was a 2am just outside my apartment. The screams were terrible.

Agree with you guys esp about being drunk. I have quite often walked back from Tacuari near Constitucion at 2.30am after a milonga finished, never drunk or near it, and walked right up town through San Telmo and into (eventually) Corrientes. Never felt directly threatened though I cross the street if a group of guys is hanging around and I stay away from shadows. Even so, it looks like it may be wiser from what you say to take a cab from anywhere down near San Juan/Independencia up to town? San Juan is only subte I have ever come out of and seen two guys lining me up for a robbing, but as I was aware of them and walked right into the well-lit avenida and was clearly ready to defend myself they flaked away and turned in the opposite direction they had been walking. Even so, I would have liked to have taken them on.

Agree with you guys esp about being drunk. I have quite often walked back from Tacuari near Constitucion at 2.30am after a milonga finished, never drunk or near it, and walked right up town through San Telmo and into (eventually) Corrientes. Never felt directly threatened though I cross the street if a group of guys is hanging around and I stay away from shadows. Even so, it looks like it may be wiser from what you say to take a cab from anywhere down near San Juan/Independencia up to town? San Juan is only subte I have ever come out of and seen two guys lining me up for a robbing, but as I was aware of them and walked right into the well-lit avenida and was clearly ready to defend myself they flaked away and turned in the opposite direction they had been walking. Even so, I would have liked to have taken them on.
That should have been I would NOT have liked to take them on. Not enjoyable.

Cellphones are the most common reason for theft. Last night while on a bus, we all heard a guy in the rear asking the driver to open the door, but it was too late. The thief reached into the bus from the curb and relieved him of his cellphone in two seconds. The guy quickly accepted the fact that crime happens on a bus even when the thief isn't a passenger.

Do you think the majority of cellphones are being stolen from the locals or visitors, or just whenever they see an opportunity to steal a phone? Sounds like there is a hot market for cellphones.

Back