Carne Picada De Pollo (I Think)

cruizes

Registered
Where can I get ground chicken. I tried everywhere to get ground turkey (Pavo molido) and the butcher looked at me like I was speaking Swahili.

They don't sell ground turkey here. Turkey itself is not common and when you do find it it's very expensive and usually imported from Brazil and frozen. I haven't seen ground chicken commercially available either. It's one of those many things you have to make yourself.......

They don't sell ground turkey here. Turkey itself is not common and when you do find it it's very expensive and usually imported from Brazil and frozen. I haven't seen ground chicken commercially available either. It's one of those many things you have to make yourself.......
Most turkeys here are grown in Cordoba, and yes you can get them here if you ask your carnicera. He can also de bone and grind it for you if he likes you.

I've asked the same, and yes it's odd because you can usually find patys de pollo at any of the granjas and some carnecerias. You have to ask them to grind it, they will think you're a bit silly. I haven't yet had the balls to ask them to grind me some lamb, I think they'd think me crazy. When I asked awhile ago everyone said just to get a chepo meat grinder in Barrio Chino and do it myself, I have to admit I have yet to do so!

Turkey is very easy to find as smoked or baked breast for sandwiches (pavita), but in full form only available once in awhile frozen.

There is the specialty meat place on Lavalle -- I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me right now, if you search the forum (or if you can click on me and search my posts, not sure if you can do that) it should come up -- try simply typing Lavalle or Specialty Meats and hopefully it will appear.

You could go to avicar and ask them to grind some for you...

I actually asked at Avicar once, they wouldn't do it -- I think you need to go to more of a local butcher, perhaps it was just the location I was at but they weren't too helpful about it :(

I have to say these are the types of things that it pays to become a regular at a good butcher, they'll source things for you etc. And a tip doesn't hurt either (we go to a frigorifico for our meat every few months and tip the butcher every time, it makes a difference as to how much fat they take off before weighing and the quality of the cuts they choose, I swear)

Went to the meat market on Lavalle and they took a turkey from their freezer that looked like it had freezer burn. Obviously turkey isn't a popular food since it doesn't MOO!

I have a meat grinder that I'm selling.

It is exactly the same as this:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-470362476-picadora-de-carne-de-fundicion-n-8-maquina-de-picar-carne-_JM

used about 6x. Very good condition.

$100

I bought a turkey from Jumbo 2 years ago to make a traditional thanksgiving dinner and it cost 204 pesos so now it would probably cost around 275 pesos. It was 6KG (about 14lbs). I inquired about fresh turkeys at that time and was quoted around 300 pesos. The frozen turkey was somewhat tasty but certainly not worth all that money. So I can just imagine what asking someone to debone a turkey, grind and package it for you.......100 pesos a kilo, perhaps?

Back