Carrying cash through airports

You can bring any amount you want into or out of the US -- you just have to declare it. They record the serial numbers to make sure you're not some money launderer, and listo. But if you bring over 10K in and DON'T declare it, they can (and let's face it, probably will) confiscate it.

I flew out of Ezeiza last night and they were pretty thorough with the body and bag searches. Just declare it and rest easier. Or use Western freaking Union -- do you really want to illegally transport thousands of dollars in one of the most corrupt countries in the world?

Thanks for all these responses! I'm stll really unsure about what to do as I'm getting rather nervous about going through, even though most people seem to be saying it will be fine. I wonder if anyone actually knows what the penalty would be if, for example, you had an extra 8,000 USD over the limit? Do they just charge you tax on the excess or do you think they could confiscate the lot???

Gauchobeat said:
Thanks for all these responses! I'm stll really unsure about what to do as I'm getting rather nervous about going through, even though most people seem to be saying it will be fine. I wonder if anyone actually knows what the penalty would be if, for example, you had an extra 8,000 USD over the limit? Do they just charge you tax on the excess or do you think they could confiscate the lot???

If they find it, they can confiscate every last cent. It's all on the US Customs website.

Gauchobeat said:

If you are stopped upon US entrance with more than allowed total of 10K USD in any fiat form and did not declare it, they will take you into a little room for questioning, confiscate the entire amount and set up a court date for you. Mainly, because you lied on the forms when asked---not checking the correct box. Then you must plead your case. Court dates, lawyers, fines for lying on custom forms, etc. Probably get back 10k but fined and possible record. Nightmare if you are busted! X-rays also pick up money wads in carry on and if they ask to frisk you or body scan, they can see it. And customs can be shrewd, they know every trick in the book and heard every story possible.
Also be aware on arrival, when departing plane and at luggage area they can have money sniffing dogs trained to smell the ink on printed paper money. Don't want to scare you, it is what it is.
It is a crap shoot. Have done it many times myself (way way above the limit) and have not yet been stopped. I have been lucky. Never know when it might be my turn.
But for 8k more, just declare it.They will question you about it--and if it is a good reason --etc, sale of possessions,(have some receipts) and moving back to states or whatever, most likely will be no problem. They are looking
for the big money guys.
If you are nervous, they are more likely to notice. Best to use Western Union or what others have suggested.
Up to you. Maybe it will go well, maybe not.
Good luck

I am in a situation where I might need to carry well over the 10k limit back. It is from a sale of property and I will have the deed of sale with me, so I am not worried at all about declaring it on the US side. My reservations come with leaving Ezeiza. I am scared I will have to go through a mile of red tape as the best case and extorted as the worst case (well I guess confiscation would be the worst case).

Does anyone have experience declaring >10k on the Argie side? Are they cool about it if you have proof?

Thejohnatvu said:
I am in a situation where I might need to carry well over the 10k limit back. It is from a sale of property and I will have the deed of sale with me, so I am not worried at all about declaring it on the US side. My reservations come with leaving Ezeiza. I am scared I will have to go through a mile of red tape as the best case and extorted as the worst case (well I guess confiscation would be the worst case).

Does anyone have experience declaring >10k on the Argie side? Are they cool about it if you have proof?

Risking everything for the sake of taking money out of Argentina on your person is illegal and is not recommended especially for a sale of a house where you could get killed on the way to the airport or in the USA . You can easily transfer monies out or Argentina and is a simple simple tramite that will cost around 2% at most .

It's actually currently 3-4% to get money out (in the black). And nothing I would be doing is illegal... I am declaring it and I would have paid all relevant taxes (and have proof of it) on the sale of my apartment. I am more worried about red tape at the airport or corrupt customs officials.

Thejohnatvu said:
It's actually currently 3-4% to get money out (in the black). And nothing I would be doing is illegal... I am declaring it and I would have paid all relevant taxes (and have proof of it) on the sale of my apartment. I am more worried about red tape at the airport or corrupt customs officials.

The reality is transferring money from a sale of a property is hardly in the black . The escribano provides documentation that allows that this money can be transferred legally through Banco Piano and other central bank approved Banks .

Taking money on your person is downright dangerous and possibly illegal . I cannot for the life of me see that customs at Ezeiza will accept this as it opens a pandoras box of problems. The law clearly states US 10,000 dollars

I'm actually curious if anyone knows if there are scanners in Ezeiza that can actually detect money hidden in your clothes if you do bring in more than the $10,000 limit.

Back