Carta De Ciudadania For The Spouse Of Native Arg Citizen

idois2

Registered
Is there is anyone on the forum who was able to successfully and on his/her own (without the assistance of a lawyer) obtain Carta de Ciudadania having resided in the country less than 2 years?

Specifcally, I am looking for someone who achieved this based on the provisions of Ley 346 (Decreto Reglamentario Sobre Ciudadania y Naturalizacion) Art 3, insert (f): marriage to a native Argentine and having resided in the country for less than 2 years.

I was denied by a clerk who claimed no knowledge to the above mentioned provisions and exceptions to the law, but I will go back again, this time with the photocopy of the Decreto.

In a mean time, I would appreciate any tips from those who may have done this in the past. I am fluent in Spanish, so there is no language barrier.

Thanks!

I am interested as well! I applied for citizenship at the end of September and the first thing the clerk at the juzgado told me was that I hadn't been in the country long enough to apply (my fecha de radicación is April 2015 and my fecha de ingreso is June 2014).
The clerk from the muncipalidad of San Isidro told me I could apply for citizenship when I went to get my certificate of residence to apply for the DNI, so I was surprised that at the juzgado - where they deal with citizenship applications all the time - they didn't know this. Anyway, they let me apply anyway and they said that the judge will examine my file and will decide.

I still haven't heard from the Juzgado after 6 months and I suppose they are waiting for the (in)famous 2 years or they can't simply figure out my case (I had the law with me but they weren't interested in looking at it). The same clerk tried to talk my out of pursuing citizenship because she said that with permanent residency I could do the same stuff as with citizenship. I was really tempted to ask her about the many Argentinian pursuing my citizenship without having even ever lived in my country or speaking my language, but my husband stomped on my foot right on time to shut me up. :rolleyes:

I have no idea about the cost of an immigration attorney and I don't like the idea to have to pay a lawyer to get what the law says I am entitled to. I am not in BsAs right now, but I'll make sure to to my juzgado once I am back. Over the phone they don't share a thing and over the internet my status has been the same since I applied on September.

I was really tempted to ask her about the many Argentinian pursuing my citizenship without having even ever lived in my country or speaking my language, but my husband stomped on my foot right on time to shut me up. :rolleyes:

Loved that one. & Absolutely true!

I have no idea about the cost of an immigration attorney and I don't like the idea to have to pay a lawyer to get what the law says I am entitled to.

I contacted the lawyer from this forum to seek his opinion on some items and he answered all my questions with short and to the point answers, never charged me anything, and encouraged me to go through the process on my own. I will try again to submit my documents and will update this thread with my experience as it may be helpful to someone in a similar situation to mine wanting to do this in the future on his/her own.

I am in no way an expert on the matter, however I have met a lady here who's father is Argentinean and who has lived most of her life in Europe and recently the Dominican Republic. She came here three - four months ago, applied her her citizenship and was granted within 30 days.

I am in no way an expert on the matter, however I have met a lady here who's father is Argentinean and who has lived most of her life in Europe and recently the Dominican Republic. She came here three - four months ago, applied her her citizenship and was granted within 30 days.

Yes, that would be correct in case of a child whose parent is a native ARG citizen.

To be(come) an ARG citizen there are 2 completely different processes and each is resolved at a different administrative entity:
- a child of a native Arg citizen can 'opt' for her Arg citizenship @ a consulate or @ el Registro Nacional de las Personas
- a spouse of a native Arg citizen cannot 'opt', but has to be 'naturalized', but without needing to meet the residency requirement, and this is a judicial process done @ tribunales federales.

What exactly is the benefit of having ciudiania instead of 'just' residencia? My two kids have two passports/nationalities, but as far as I know, I will have to renounce EU-citizenship if I want the Argie one? Doesn't seem like a good trade?

Afaik, residency can be revoked, while citizenship cannot. Regarding dual-citizenship: I think there is no EU law, but rather national laws regarding whether dual citizenship is possible or not. For Germany, it is as you described: if you'd choose to obtain Argentinian citizenship, you'd loose your German one. But I'm pretty sure other EU countries (e.g. Spain or Italy) are more permissive in that regard.

What exactly is the benefit of having ciudiania instead of 'just' residencia? My two kids have two passports/nationalities, but as far as I know, I will have to renounce EU-citizenship if I want the Argie one? Doesn't seem like a good trade?

The benefit of ARG citizenship (as any other citizenship) can be a personal or a general/hypothetical matter. Some people are interested in jobs (government for example) that are only open to citizens and not residents, and when you are multilingual and have multiple nationalities you may be eligible for these jobs in multiple countries. Others may be just interested in visa free travel to perhaps Russia or visa on arrival to Iran, or cheaper/no visa for many African countries. And yet there are those who use multiple nationalities with corresponding passports and different identities (yes, this is possible) to conduct perfectly legitimate business while avoiding double taxation. And of course, there are some who just enjoy collecting passports. :)

There are people on this forum who have ARG+EU+US+other passports/nationalities, and some countries make it difficult/illegal to naturalize in another country, while some countries do not care/cannot track you, AND there are countries whose nationality/citizenship you cannot lose even if you want to. This is an interesting topic, but for another thread ;-)

For me, the main pro is the ability to live in other Mercosur countries (like Chile or Uruguay), and on a personal level because I want to feel I belong to somewhere. I don't think I will ever live in Italy again unless some major family event happens, so I like the idea of having a new "home". I have always felt welcome here, I identify with Argentinians more than with any other national, so it makes sense.

What I don't understand is why the Argentinians are making it a hard time to get their citizenship to foreign nationals (forcing them to use a lawyer/facilitator for a perfectly straightforward procedure they could do alone).

Back