Cash Boxes

erictravels

Registered
Coming in to BsAs with a lot of USD is clearly good to get the dollar blue exchange rate, but where (besides the apartment sock drawer*) is a place you non-resident, non-Argentine bank account holders keep your documents/valuables/copious cash?

*First person who posts "Put it MY apartment's sock drawer" receives all the honors and benefits that come with being so clever. I will be forever envious.

Many apartments have safes. The owner and the property manager have keys to the safe of course.

You could buy one of those fake coke cans in the States and hide it in the pantry.

Just remember to spend it all in Argentina before you go back home.

Argentine Pesos are worth less than 3 ply toilet paper out side Argentina.

Just remember to spend it all in Argentina before you go back home.
Argentine Pesos are worth less than 3 ply toilet paper out side Argentina.

You can always laminate your remaining evitas and sell them at 30 bucks a pop.

30 bucks? They're going for 80 in NYC.

Seriously? Who would buy them?!

Anyway, I know a relative who has a safe box at a local bank but he says it is very expensive, around 800 pesos/month. I guess banks know too well that that's the only way to keep safe dollars and are trying to make the most of out it.
I don't know if you can find other for cheaper, anyway even if it'd be 400 pesos, it would be sure a huge amount at the end of the year.

More details, on this please!!

pretty sure it comes from an old article about when they first came out and people selling them outside the evita musical.

http://www.evitaonbroadway.com/tour.html

follow the tour and make money from the only people who like accepting them. Argentine shops are still hesitant!

In your case, I'd be creative.

- Unscrew the top of a washing machine and attach the cash (properly sealed) underneath.
- Empty the refrigerator, turn it around and find a way to attach the cash beneath, put the refrigerator back in place.
- Take a wooden door (not a plain wood one) out of its hinges, make an opening at the bottom (nobody will know), insert the cash inside, place the door back
- Put the cash in a sealed (really sealed) container, and if there are plants on the terrace, dig a deep hole at night with no light and place the container in it.
etc. depending on the place you'll live in.

Keep a small part of the cash hidden in another place (just in case = might satisfy a burglar/intruder)

Mercado Libre has Caja Fuertes that look like vents, wall clocks, books, electrical outlets, and even cereal boxes.
http://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/hogar-seguridad-cajas-fuertes/

Back