Cat Vet Recommendation-Naturalpath Or Homeopath?

So my cat suffered from a blocked urethra a few months back. Apparently it can be confused with a uti as well. While in Argentina the vet likely mistook this for a uti some years back as well. These three things can be confused and stones related to the blocked urethra. After his problem was cleared the instructions I got were to give him a special urinary diet preferably in wet cat form. I know you don't want to give cat food though. But what's most important is that your cat drink lots of water. Try and get him to drink a soda cans worth a day. This you know is very tough to do but people do some tricks to up their cats water intake. If possible add some water to his food (another reason they recommend giving wet food) as he will get hydrated that way if he doesn't drink enough. I know your cat might not have the same issue as mine but I believe stones and a blocked urethra are closely linked as both are caused by crystals forming in the bladder. It's scary I know your pain! I hope he gets better soon!

You can't even lead a cat to water, let alone make him drink.

Thanks for all the advice. I have been reading up on the web about how to cure via diet and to increase water intake. Today he is feeling better and I am giving him ground beef in water (he is drinking the water) and today will take him to a vet who said, at least on the phone, that he will work with us to use a natural diet. What I have found in my research is that a lot of "scientifically recommended" prescriptions (special dried food) is not scientifically proven either.
What I found about natural diets is that I should be giving him more variety, like rabbit, pork, innards, in addition to beef. That is a change I plan to make.

If the problem is dyhydration can't you give the car something to increase its thirst?

Edit: Hmm according to a quick and dirty googling it appears you can't. Strange

Actually, you could give it salt to make it drink but considering that salt causes kidney stones it seems like not a great idea. Cats naturally drink very little water, they get it from their food, which is one of the problems with dry food and why wet food is better.
The other thing I heard about it to fill up a syringe (no needle) and force it down their throat. If you have a cat you will understand why this might be a nightmare.
I found this site to be very interesting, there is a lot of info. My problem has been feeding my cat just beef and some chicken, not enough variety, and also giving it cooked food (mainly our leftovers, which contain a LOT of salt for cat). Before he got 20% of his diet from dry cat food.
http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/raw-feeding/a-frankenprey-and-whole-prey-feeding-guide/
My cat used to have huge behavioral problems (attacking people, including me, all the time) and since he started eating raw 7 years ago he has turned into the sweetest cat. This is the first time he has had a health problem.

My cat likes fresh, streaming water. I find that these fountains really help. They're expensive, but worth it.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-489111392-fuente-de-agua-cat-it-p-gato-o-perro-chico3-repuestos-_JM

Thanks, considering what I have spent on medicine it is not too expensive to buy a fountain:
$200 on first md visit, antibiotic shot, antibiotic pills, urine care cat food
$160 second md visit (switched, she charges more but is better) and antibiotic shot
$120 meds (valium for pain and relaxing mussles and urinary medicine.)
$40 third visit and antibiotic shot (didn´t charge for this visit)
$100 ultrasound to see that he doesn´t have stones (thank god!)
$120 on natural remedy and liquid vasaline (he is a bit constipated and having him swallow a little works).
He is still not 100% but he is urinating frequently (this is very important) and acting like a normal cat, but still "complains" by meyowing at night. I am so grateful that we have the resources for this, as while item doesn´t seem too expensive on its own, but it all adds up. Posting this above for the price watchers.

Thanks, considering what I have spent on medicine it is not too expensive to buy a fountain:
$200 on first md visit, antibiotic shot, antibiotic pills, urine care cat food
$160 second md visit (switched, she charges more but is better) and antibiotic shot
$120 meds (valium for pain and relaxing mussles and urinary medicine.)
$40 third visit and antibiotic shot (didn´t charge for this visit)
$100 ultrasound to see that he doesn´t have stones (thank god!)
$120 on natural remedy and liquid vasaline (he is a bit constipated and having him swallow a little works).
He is still not 100% but he is urinating frequently (this is very important) and acting like a normal cat, but still "complains" by meyowing at night. I am so grateful that we have the resources for this, as while item doesn´t seem too expensive on its own, but it all adds up. Posting this above for the price watchers.

PLEASE tell us that was in pesos...

Just saying that because I had a friend in the states who spent $800 USD on a blue point siamese kitten, and then almost $2000 USD in vet bills the first year and a half.

PLEASE tell us that was in pesos...

Just saying that because I had a friend in the states who spent $800 USD on a blue point siamese kitten, and then almost $2000 USD in vet bills the first year and a half.

Now we could use Obamacare for veterinary services...

Back