Cepo cambiario

The OP is talking about what happened when Macri was president, from Dec, 2015 until Oct, 2019 (when Macri's administration agreed to reinstate the "cepo"), when there was no dollar blue. The official rate was the rate. There wasn't any other. So you could use your foreign cards for everything, including the ATMs (although with the horrendous ATM fees).
As far as I can remember, there was a dollar blue when I came here in 2015, and I remember the cuevas from that time. I'm sure they were here well before I arrived. However, I recall that back then the difference between the official rate and the blue rate was 5 points, which represented a 50% difference..

As far as I can remember, there was a dollar blue when I came here in 2015, and I remember the cuevas from that time. I'm sure they were here well before I arrived. However, I recall that back then the difference between the official rate and the blue rate was 5 points, which represented a 50% difference..
I, too remember, when first visiting Argentina in 2011, my host took me to a "cueva" where I changed $100 US for, as I recall, 600 pesos when the official rate was maybe 500. I kept looking around waiting to get busted by the gestapo as my host said "don't say a word".

Macri lifted the cepo when he took office, Dec. 10, 2015. There was still a blue (for dirty money), but there was less than a 1% difference compared to the official.

Could you please make up your mind: lifted or reinstated?
I'm sorry that you have trouble reading. I'll explain it to you a bit more simply.
  • December 10, 2015 - Macri lifted the cepo
  • In October or November, 2019 (I'm sorry, I don't have the exact date, but after losing the election) - Macri reinstated the cepo
I hope that helps you.

Macri lifted the cepo when he took office, Dec. 10, 2015. There was still a blue (for dirty money), but there was less than a 1% difference compared to the official.
Yes, I am referring to approximately 12 months before that, and no, the gap was never as small as 1%. The gap might have shrunk to a difference of 1 or 2 points by 2016. The Dollar Blue was at 15 when Macri took office, and when he left, four years later, it was above 70, I think closer to 80.

Yes, I am referring to approximately 12 months before that, and no, the gap was never as small as 1%. The gap might have shrunk to a difference of 1 or 2 points by 2016. The Dollar Blue was at 15 when Macri took office, and when he left, four years later, it was above 70, I think closer to 80.
When the cepo was lifted, there was effectively no dollar blue. It barely traded and was within 1% of the official. When the cepo was reinstated, the blue returned. I'm sorry that you don't understand that, but those are the facts.

Back