Certificate of domicile

Interesting report. I have an appointment for application of certificado de domicilio on Monday and have been wondering about what's really required at the appointment. I requested the appointment online, which shows a very short list of requirements - primarily the 2 witnesses with DNI and your passport: https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/tramites/certificado-de-domicilio-para-extranjeros-sin-dni It does not say if you need to show a rental contract or other means to prove your address and there's no mention of passport translation required. At your appointment did you need to show some document about your address? What part of your passport was translated - the main page or every page in the passport?

You are all falling in a fool trap. You only need your passport.
Go to the police station and they do it without all the nazi trash from MM administration.

I am applying for a CDI and I understand various AFIP offices do things differently. Having already been to one AFIP and been sent home, as the guy at the desk said I needed a local to apply on my behalf ...

So, you go to the taxman. And you say nicely, "I want to pay taxes here, please, add me to your database". And he says: "A local guy should apply on your behalf." Seriously??? Is he supposed to pay taxes for you as well?

What really happened there? You could not fill out a single application form?

> Having already been to one AFIP

I believe, there is a single AFIP office that serves your place of residence. And they simply cannot refuse your registration. It is just a formality after all. Or things have changed lately?

Last edited:
So, you go to the taxman. And you say nicely, "I want to pay taxes here, please, add me to your database". And he says: "A local guy should apply on your behalf." Seriously??? Is he supposed to pay taxes for you as well?

What really happened there? You could not fill out a single application form?

> Having already been to one AFIP

I believe, there is a single AFIP office that serves your place of residence. And they simply cannot refuse your registration. It is just a formality after all. Or things have changed lately?

The CDI (which is what keystrike was writing about) is granted to foreigners with residency transitoria who do not have a DNI (or the temporary residency that is require to get one).

A foreigner who is asking for the CDI is not saying, Ï want to pay taxes..." and he won't have to...except for the taxes on the apartment he wants to buy. He will not be able to complete the purchase without one, and actually, he will have to have a "local guy" pay the taxes.for him.

That;s because he doesn't have a CUIT (which includes a taxpayer's DNI) and, as far as I have known since 2006, the tax collection system doesn't accept tax payments from those who don't.

I have no doubt that he will have to provide a "local guy" with the appropriate funds to make those payments on his behalf.

PS: When I got my CDI in 2006 to buy an apartment prior to getting my DNI, I was able to get it on my own, just filling out a single application form, without the help of a local guy.

Apparently that's one thing that has changed since then.

Last edited:
PS2: And (as far as I know) the only taxes keystrike will have to find a local guy to pay to AFIP, that is until he has a DNI (if ever), are the bienes personales tax on the apartment.

Yes, what I understand is in agreement with steveinbsas. I have no plans to be a resident here so will only be paying property taxes on the apartment.

I preferred to bring two witnesses rather than have to deal with waiting around for the police to show up to verify my address. I'm not sure if that process is even still in effect. I think procedures here are indeterminate enough that there will always be these small issues occurring.

Initially I went to the AFIP office that was listed for my address (I think) and was told I needed someone to apply on my behalf. But that was not what was said on the AFIP website. So I went to the next closest office and everything was OK. I'm pretty sure the first person just did not know the rules.

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/obtener-la-clave-de-identificacion-cdi
Notice the page says only if you are not here do you need someone to apply on your behalf.

Also https://serviciosweb.afip.gob.ar/genericos/guiaDeTramites/VerGuia.aspx?tr=17

Yes, what I understand is in agreement with steveinbsas. I have no plans to be a resident here so will only be paying property taxes on the apartment.

Keep in mind that (as far as I know) there are two taxes you will have to pay on the apartment.

One is the ABL (or the city property tax) and I believe you can pay that yourself at any rapipago or pago facil location as well as some banks/.

The other is the bienes personales (asset) tax that must be paid to AFIP and they do not send a tax notice and, as previously indicated, you may need someone with a DNI to actually make the payment on your behalf.

Last edited:
You are all falling in a fool trap. You only need your passport.
Go to the police station and they do it without all the nazi trash from MM administration.
Well, a pity your advice came late. On the other hand you get the impression that they're trying to handle the requirement through an appointment system that you can make on line. After making the appointment I received 2 reminders by e-mail of the time and place. My testigos (witnesses) were like herding cats, getting them to show up at the right time and also able to wait because once you check in you're in a line of others waiting to be called. Once called up, If I'd had a translated, authenticated passport page the whole thing would of concluded in 10 minutes. Now I must get translation done and return and drop it off to the guy who worked up the application. So, off to Lavalle 1220, the National Chamber of Civil Appeals - opens 07:30 to 13:30.

Well, a pity your advice came late. On the other hand you get the impression that they're trying to handle the requirement through an appointment system that you can make on line. After making the appointment I received 2 reminders by e-mail of the time and place. My testigos (witnesses) were like herding cats, getting them to show up at the right time and also able to wait because once you check in you're in a line of others waiting to be called. Once called up, If I'd had a translated, authenticated passport page the whole thing would of concluded in 10 minutes. Now I must get translation done and return and drop it off to the guy who worked up the application. So, off to Lavalle 1220, the National Chamber of Civil Appeals - opens 07:30 to 13:30.

They are trying to build a totalitarian State where they control everything while this is a Federal country and foreigners have the priviledge of the Federal institutions according to art. 116 of the CN where the procedure is simplified to make thinks easier.
The municipal authorities has no competency over foreigners, they are racist, make it a lot more dificult and you are automatically reported to the immigration police (remember the App where all the Municipality agents can report to the DNM)

Continuing with information to overcome the pitfalls of applying the certificado de domicilio. At their Tramite website where you make your request for an appointment, the only stated requirements are 2 resident witnesses with DNI and your passport, and your personal claim of an address. Not stated is the requirement (at the Recoleta Mall appointment location) of a translation and legalization of your passport's main page. If you were informed in advance, while you were waiting for the appointment date you could of gotten this, but no, you'll have to go get it done and bring it back to be added to your application.
Reading on this thread you might get the impression that the large government office at Lavalle 1220 address is the place to go for this, it is not. Nor is the address they'll redirect you to from Lavalle, Uruguay 753. Although if you're really insistent at the Informes counter at Uruguay 753 you may get the address of the Colegio de Traductores Publicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires at Avenida Corrientes 1834. And off you go trekking up Corrientes on foot the many blocks. Arriving at Correientes 1834 you're getting very close. The woman at the desk once she grasps your need, will pull out a folder with the names and addresses of possibly every translator in Buenos Aires, in tiny type, for you to choose one. Apparently she's forbidden from just directing you to a convenient one, you have to find an address from the listings. And as it happens there's one right next door by 1/2 a meter at Corrientes 1832:
Circulo de Traductores Asociados, Avenida Corrientes 1832 9th floor "D" where, once you get past the intercom entrance at ground level and up the elevator and through the intercom doors you'll find, if you're lucky, the winsome Letizia who will take your request and ask you if you'd also like it legalized for an extra fee, accept your passport, and ask you to return at 2 pm the next day to pick it up. Total cost: 1,390 pesos
Elapsed time if you knew where to go in the first place maybe 15 minutes. If you need to discover the information and location from probably the heaviest concentration of government and kiosko type shops that line those streets and don't know jack, about 2 hours.

steveinbsas....
One is the ABL (or the city property tax) and I believe you can pay that yourself at any rapipago or pago facil location as well as some banks/.

The rapipago/pagofacil locations will only accept the ABL payment if the amount is under $3500 pesos. For properties located in CABA, if the amount is higher, it must be paid at any branch of Banco Ciudad.

Last edited:
Back