Change in expat attitudes?

tomedison said:
I don't disagree that more native Argentines need to be living well; however, as this is the BA EXPATS forum I have an expat take on things. Consequently, I opine that for expats wih a foreign based income source, Bs As is a good place to be/retire/seek adventure/enjoy life.
I hope you don't begrudge me that I can live well here on a foreign income source. I didn't make the rules - I'm just playing by them. Who was it that said people get the governmment they deserve?

I don't begrudge you at all, I think it's great that you are able to enjoy Buenos Aires due to your fortunate circumstances. Just realize though that your lifestyle is the extreme exception here. The day to day struggle of so many people here is daunting. I am from the US and have a business here and earn in pesos. I don't struggle personally, but I see many people who do on a daily basis. Only about 5% of my customers are non-argentine and while it's nothing for them to spend $200 pesos on a bunch of candy and wines, for some local people it's difficult to spend $3,00 on their favorite alfajor and have to opt for something that costs $1,00.......that is what I call struggling. However there are locals that have money too, otherwise a lot of these small businesses in Buenos Aires wouldn't work at all.

Lee said:
Whenever I am in a good mood I try NOT to ride the subte...I mean...have you looked at the people's faces on the subte...I mean really looked? I have not seen a more depressed looking group in my life!

I know what you mean, it is like a scene from The Walking Dead...

Davidglen77 said:
Ok wait a moment, do you really think that is true, I used to work with a human resources manager that would sort resumés by last names and any resumé with a hispanic last name would be put right in the garbage, neighborhoods in New York City and other places in the United States are divided by ethinic groups, I find all of that a lot less likely here in Argentina. Foreigners are not really made to feel very welcome in the united states, I grew up in an all immigrant family every body spoke english with a very heavy accent (except me 'cause I was born in the united states) and we were treated like crap all the time because we were considered foreigners and any inkling of a complaint we were always told go back to your country.

Then you should have been fired for discrimination and the firm sued!

sergio said:
This is an expat forum. Expats come here to express opinions. If native Portenos care to join that's fine but they enter an expat forum. I do not spend my life telling Argentines about the problems of Argentina. I hear and read it from Argentines every day. Most of the grumbling I hear comes from Argentines. I would not mention Europe or the US if I didn't hear the references from Argentines who THINK Argentina, BA in paricular, is ever so "European". You did not read my post, I was responding to an Argentine who claims Argentina is equal to Sweden. It would be a lot simpler and realistic if Argentines compared themselves to Latin American countries instead of to Europe. The country is not 1st world. Not sure it can be called developing as it used to be more advanced and has actually devolved. The frustrations set in when we expats are repeatedly told how European the place is. Yes, compared to Bolivia, Paraguay and a lot of other Latin Amertican countries Argentina is great but it's definitely not France - or Sweden!

Excellent post. Some one actually comapared BA to Sweeden? Maybe they did not realize it has only snowed here once in 70 years.

I think as a foreign musician here I've lived a charmed existence. Also, I've only been here for 15 months, so I still experience a degree of honeymoon.

One of my least favorite things is seeing, upon becoming close friends with earned rapport, the hidden pain, sadness and suffering in my Porteño friends. Very often I see the limitations that they put on themselves because of the reality of their lives. There seems to be a low ceiling on what many people can achieve here, and some of my Porteño friends don't dream of or certainly don't envision a bigger future. And why should they, when the most important thing is making ends meet NOW.

One of my favorite things is how they seem genuinely pleased and flattered that I chose to live here and present my music for them.

I feel very convicted about my purpose here, which is to bring something different and positive from home that people in Buenos Aires might not otherwise see. I feel like I have something to offer. And I know I've gotten a lot in return. They've taught me so much about toughness, resiliency and about carrying yourself with levity when things go horribly wrong. Most of all, I've learned to just enjoy the present moment and the people around me.

When I feel like I have nothing more to offer and I'm not getting much back, that will be the moment when I decide it's time to go.

Davidglen77 said:
Ok wait a moment, do you really think that is true, I used to work with a human resources manager that would sort resumés by last names and any resumé with a hispanic last name would be put right in the garbage, neighborhoods in New York City and other places in the United States are divided by ethinic groups, I find all of that a lot less likely here in Argentina. Foreigners are not really made to feel very welcome in the united states, I grew up in an all immigrant family every body spoke english with a very heavy accent (except me 'cause I was born in the united states) and we were treated like crap all the time because we were considered foreigners and any inkling of a complaint we were always told go back to your country.

I grew up in a greek family in Sydney but we all spoke better english than the locals and we were treated like crap by many people in those days in the 1970s . I remember one incident clearly in Newtown Sydney when a anglo aussie attacked my mother in the street and spat at her telling her wog go home . The rascism of Australia in those days was appalling and I would say it still is and is certainly worse than Argentina.

Davidglen77 said:
Ok wait a moment, do you really think that is true, I used to work with a human resources manager that would sort resumés by last names and any resumé with a hispanic last name would be put right in the garbage, neighborhoods in New York City and other places in the United States are divided by ethinic groups, I find all of that a lot less likely here in Argentina.

Agreed...until youre on the receiving end you have no idea. I was actually transferred by my company to US from Ireland to run a new dept. and made redundant in USA when I was 7.5 months pregnant....unthinkable in many countries. The HR guy, for whom I have no words, advised me that US law didnt allow any company to discriminate against a pregnant woman and so I`d definitely find new employment. I was lucky as I have many contacts and was offered alternate employment as soon as the baby was born but chose to be transferred here, at the company`s expense, to join my husband. That experience alone taught me that the US preaches equality but really doesnt practice what it preaches. Argentina is shockingly and openly racist to its neighbouring countrymen but at least its honest. The faux we care about you approach in the US really helped give me an insight into life as a non WASP.

Hola Perry, I have to say that you reminded me of my early days in Sydney too...Cabramatta....I'll never forget those early days in the 70s, it wasn't easy being a 'Wog'.

I too remember being attacked by a group of Aussie high school kids, while walking home holding mum's hand, suddenly having a mob throwing rocks at us both..I'll never forget that feeling.

The worst part was the nasty verbal stuff at school. And yes I used to wonder too how come blond Aussie kids would come to me for help with their spelling. Although I still love Australia I can't forget those early experiences. I don't carry a chip on my shoulder about it, I just understand that human beings can have their insecurities.

I agree too, I have not seen that degree of racism here in Argentina.

perry said:
I grew up in a greek family in Sydney but we all spoke better english than the locals and we were treated like crap by many people in those days in the 1970s . I remember one incident clearly in Newtown Sydney when a anglo aussie attacked my mother in the street and spat at her telling her wog go home . The rascism of Australia in those days was appalling and I would say it still is and is certainly worse than Argentina.

This is coming from an interested outsider, but how many of you speak conversational Spanish?

Don't mean to be offensive, but I'm only wondering. I've been in some expat situations before, and I've always felt language plays a huge role in the depression. I remember being in France, and my brain just hurting as I got home, having tried to piece together the little french I know into anything comprehensible to locals. And then going to the local market across the street, where the owner knew nothing but a couple of english words, but would always greet me at the door, teach me new french words, and just smile the entire time.

I tried to tell him, but I'm not sure he ever knew how much I appreciated him in France. Someone who was just incredible friendly, and always so genuine.

fifs2 said:
Davidglen77 said:
Ok wait a moment, do you really think that is true, I used to work with a human resources manager that would sort resumés by last names and any resumé with a hispanic last name would be put right in the garbage, neighborhoods in New York City and other places in the United States are divided by ethinic groups, I find all of that a lot less likely here in Argentina.

Agreed...until youre on the receiving end you have no idea. I was actually transferred by my company to US from Ireland to run a new dept. and made redundant in USA when I was 7.5 months pregnant....unthinkable in many countries. The HR guy, for whom I have no words, advised me that US law didnt allow any company to discriminate against a pregnant woman and so I`d definitely find new employment. I was lucky as I have many contacts and was offered alternate employment as soon as the baby was born but chose to be transferred here, at the company`s expense, to join my husband. That experience alone taught me that the US preaches equality but really doesnt practice what it preaches. Argentina is shockingly and openly racist to its neighbouring countrymen but at least its honest. The faux we care about you approach in the US really helped give me an insight into life as a non WASP.

Let me call your rant right now before it starts turning into the typical anti US sludge so often spouted on this forum. True, any company that treated you like they did, should be called out. But regardless what the HR guy said, no company will hire a women that is 7.5 months pregnant, you work for 1 month and then take a few months off...come on, be realistic.

How long were you working in the US before you got pregnant?

And the HR Manager that supposedly threw away Latin resumes, also bad though I think there was just a bit of exageration...if not, why the hell didn't Davidglen report the person??

For every bad Apple there are 1000's of HR professionals that treat all employees with the utmost respect and EQUALITY. In fact, every one of my Fortune 100 customers have crazy strict rules against any type of discrimination and actively recruit candidates from all backgrounds and races.

The US has better labor and anti discrimination laws than any country in the World, period!

Back