Change in expat attitudes?

Lee said:
Whenever I am in a good mood I try NOT to ride the subte...I mean...have you looked at the people's faces on the subte...I mean really looked? I have not seen a more depressed looking group in my life!

Oh...I have been here 4 years and used the subte 1000's of times and it's always the same.

My mother's first observation when she came to BA for the first time was "The people never smile".

The US has better labor and anti discrimination laws than any country in the World, period!

U.S.A! U.S.A! Can we forget already about that country? It is not worth discussing about it anymore. And no, a black president doesn´t make the US suddenly a fair society. For being a forum of ex-pats, people here defend the US too much.

marksoc said:
U.S.A! U.S.A! Can we forget already about that country? It is not worth discussing about it anymore. And no, a black president doesn´t make the US suddenly a fair society. For being a forum of ex-pats, people here defend the US too much.

Being an expat doesn't mean that you have to hate the country you came from. I read more criticism of the US on this forum than praise or defense. I know a number of Argentines who have emigrated to the US and UK. They appreciate the opportunities they have there, opportunities not available in Argentina, but they do not HATE Argentina. They just don't like the crime, corruption and lack of opportunity. Most things in life are not black or white, there are usually shades in between. One of the problems of this forum is that there are too many people posting who refuse to see this fact. To them it is either one or the other and they won't brook any debate. I find that a pity as there are expats who have been in Argentina for many years who have a lot to share, a lot of experience but they are all too often shouted down by narrow minded individuals who have been around for far less time and who are more interested in reinforcing their views or prejudices than in expanding their minds.

jaredwb said:
The US has better labor and anti discrimination laws than any country in the World, period!
So true - and that's how it has been since the day the US launched the Sputnik satellite.

John.St said:
So true - and that's how it has been since the day the US launched the Sputnik satellite.
Sorry, but Sputnik was launched by Argentina as were the Apollo shots, the International Space Station and the Shuttle program and the Hubble telescope. Argentina also invented the Internet and the pizza. Next in line is a 500 passenger Concorde that runs on dog shit. :eek:

AndrewWoodward said:
This is coming from an interested outsider, but how many of you speak conversational Spanish?

Don't mean to be offensive, but I'm only wondering. I've been in some expat situations before, and I've always felt language plays a huge role in the depression. I remember being in France, and my brain just hurting as I got home, having tried to piece together the little french I know into anything comprehensible to locals. And then going to the local market across the street, where the owner knew nothing but a couple of english words, but would always greet me at the door, teach me new french words, and just smile the entire time.

I tried to tell him, but I'm not sure he ever knew how much I appreciated him in France. Someone who was just incredible friendly, and always so genuine.

This is also spot on. I speak Spanish although certainly with my distinctive gringa accent ;). When I moved here, I didn't speak a word and it certainly played a huge factor in making it hard to be here. Things that are difficult even if you're fluent (sorting out bills, trying to arrange appts and doing tramites) became almost impossible. And it was depressing. And yes, my brain HURT when I came home. I still have trouble when I'm in a large group of Argentines that are all speaking super quickly and shouting over one another (so in other words, at every asado;)) and it definitely adds to the isolation factor.

How long were you working in the US before you got pregnant?

I worked as a manager for the company for 4 years in Ireland, and then transfered (at their requwat) to US before I was pregnant so nearly 5yrs total. Novell is the company, not some small fry, throw them out organization but rather an organized, we protect our own (ie white mormons) setup if Im being perfectly frank. Of course I know many US companies do not treat pregnant employees as such but if the law allows it then its a pretty pathetic state of affairs if Im a native or not. I had 2 years previously made my own pregnant friend redundant and gone to the enth degree to protect her and maximise her payoff as well as her external support systems so Im pragmatic enough to feel better than these guys and know that good karma repeats itself, as does bad....

fifs2 said:
How long were you working in the US before you got pregnant?

I worked as a manager for the company for 4 years in Ireland, and then transfered (at their requwat) to US before I was pregnant so nearly 5yrs total. Novell is the company, not some small fry, throw them out organization but rather an organized, we protect our own (ie white mormons) setup if Im being perfectly frank. Of course I know many US companies do not treat pregnant employees as such but if the law allows it then its a pretty pathetic state of affairs if Im a native or not. I had 2 years previously made my own pregnant friend redundant and gone to the enth degree to protect her and maximise her payoff as well as her external support systems so Im pragmatic enough to feel better than these guys and know that good karma repeats itself, as does bad....

Well, I know Novell very well and you might have heard that they are being acquired. I'm guessing Karma is going to bite a lot of them in the ass :)

I don't know what religion (your mormon comment) has anything to do with the company aside from the fact they are based in Provo. Being from a mormon family, I know that we like our women pregnant;) so I'm guessing that had absolutely ZERO to do with anything.

I think most companies have something in place to cover for pregnancy and I have filled many 6 month temp positions to cover pregnancy leave for my customers.

jaredwb said:
Well, I know Novell very well and you might have heard that they are being acquired. I'm guessing Karma is going to bite a lot of them in the ass :)

I don't know what religion (your mormon comment) has anything to do with the company aside from the fact they are based in Provo. Being from a mormon family, I know that we like our women pregnant;) so I'm guessing that had absolutely ZERO to do with anything.

I think most companies have something in place to cover for pregnancy and I have filled many 6 month temp positions to cover pregnancy leave for my customers.

Jared, I dont want to start an anti-mormon war as Ive still many friends there BUT jack mormons and non mormons who arent US citizens are frequently discriminated against in Provo, SLC and other cities...I can post details if you like or you can pretend you`re all lovely tolerant people who never discriminate but its all fantasy in terms of non-discrimination unfortunately.

Back