Changing Jobs - From Pesos To Dollars Question

Not sure what you mean by 2 year permanent residence? Presumably your company sponsored you for a work visa. Which is not permanent. And is tied to the company.

In re taxes - 15% employer tax. Plus your regular tax rate although presumably you can claim foreign income exemption for your employee portion up to 100k.

cant speak to the employer vs employee taxes, but yes, its true about the foreign earned income tax or whatever its called. I just recently received a pretty nice little federal tax income return based on that. I did work with a tax guy who specifically deals with expats and knows all the ins and outs.

Regarding the residency - Do you already have a DNI that says it expires in 2 years? As far as Im aware, once you have the DNI, its valid until the expiration. However last year, Immigrations did stop into my office one day and asked to see all the foreigners who were registered under the company. I'm not sure exactly why but I guess there is a small chance they could come to the business to confirm that you still work there, though I dont know what the consequences would be. However I do have some friends that had work DNIs and quit, and their DNIs were valid until expiration date for entering and leaving the country.

Once that expires, I dont believe its possible to get any sort of DNI from an American based company that doesnt have operations here. Main reason is that you need to be paying taxes in ARG to get a DNI and thats not possible when an american company is paying you in dollars in the US, nor would the company be registered to sponsor foreigners in ARG.

Not sure what you mean by 2 year permanent residence? Presumably your company sponsored you for a work visa. Which is not permanent. And is tied to the company.

He has a UY passport, as well as a US passport.

Ops sorry, there was another one who had UY, I got confused.

Ah interesting. but can you clarify (if you don't mind) - what do you mean by 2 years permanent residency? I'm still trying to understand. The only situations I know of are temporary residency (through work, etc) which are one year and renewable. Or permanent which mercosur residents can apply for AFTER 2 years of living here or is granted for marrying an argentine, having kids here. Have you already been here 2 years and applied for/been granted your permanent residency? (I'm just trying to educate myself :)

Any accountant can help you file the foreign income exception. You must be out of the country (US) 330 days a year.

You also may have weird taxes though since if you are a perm resident in Arg, technically you should pay taxes on your worldwide income. But that might be hard to do if you are no longer working in Arg but only have your residency through a work visa (unless again, you have already been granted your permanent).

Any accountant can help you file the foreign income exception. You must be out of the country (US) 330 days a year.

If you have permanent residency, the 330 day rule does not apply as long as you pass the bona-fide residence test. I was in the US 120+ days last year and still claimed the foreign earned income exclusion.

You also may have weird taxes though since if you are a perm resident in Arg, technically you should pay taxes on your worldwide income. But that might be hard to do if you are no longer working in Arg but only have your residency through a work visa (unless again, you have already been granted your permanent).

Yes, you should "technically" pay taxes in Argentina as well.

Wow - that is great they let you even with that much time in the US! My accountant was pretty conservative and he said that being in the US for longer than a month was inviting audit even though I did meet the bonafide foreign residence requirements. Good to know for the future!

If you have permanent residency, the 330 day rule does not apply as long as you pass the bona-fide residence test. I was in the US 120+ days last year and still claimed the foreign earned income exclusion.

Yes, you should "technically" pay taxes in Argentina as well.
So from what I understand is that people in the company don't pay argentine taxes as they claim their income abroad by billing the company. Is this common?

Back