Changing USD in cuevas

chris

Registered
A friend said that cuevas won't change USD anymore. Is this true?

Sometimes places run out of pesos, that's happened to us (though we are in PBA, I'd expect places in CABA to have a better peso supply).

Our last trip to CABA netted us a sealed block of 5 packets with 100 new 1000 peso notes each, with BCRA stamps, direct from the central bank, from a place on Av. Cabildo. They also do transfers to a bank account, which is very convenient and avoids having to queue in a bank for ages to deposit money.

Then why does the cueva exist?
Some of the smaller cuevas get out of balance some days if everybody is buying or everybody is selling. I never saw it before this past year, but I've seen it happen a few times since the middle of last year. A couple of times I had to go back an hour later because they were waiting for pesos and a couple of times there was a line waiting to buy dollars (people waiting for people like me to sell my dollars).

(I could have gone to another cueva, but lately I'm dealing with just two because I trust them, and with the one in particular that I use the most, the prices are almost always very good.)

I should say that these were exceptional occasions, during times of big moves in the price.

Back