Changing Money in BA

Jo44

Registered
Hey all!
Does anyone know a place where I can go change money? I've been living in Buenos Aires for 6 months now, working as a English teacher. Next week, I will be going to Europe on vacation and I'm having an extremely difficulty time changing my money into Euros. I would also prefer not to go to the black market because they take advantage of the situation and overcharge you. If you know a place, please let me know... This whole situation is really frustrating!

THe places that exchange if you want are black market, if you want the official exhange rate you have to go to Afip and ask for permission, then go back home light a candle and pray. You have two ways, buy in black or if you have some good Argentine credit cards, use them in Europe for everything and then pay in pesos at the official rate.

go to the search engine and type in the word dollars. there are SEVERAL other threads about this. to sum up: its pretty much impossible to buy foreign currency legally at this point. the situation is even worse if you are a tourist and not a resident or citizen of argentina.

Other solution:

Try to find something to buy here (that you can pay in pesos) & resell quickly in your country for the same price or even a profit (leather, tango shoes, polo boots... Not sure what you can make money on).

Hey everyone:
I heard they offer free Spanish classes at some universities or instituties in BA, for example International House. Does anyone know other places?

Jo44 said:
Hey everyone:
I heard they offer free Spanish classes at some universities or instituties in BA, for example International House. Does anyone know other places?

Sorry, I meant to put this in a new thread.. Just ignore this one. Thanks.

I was able to exchange pesos for euros at the airport in London last week. It was one of their official money changers. I was already exchanging pounds for euros and had a few pesos on me. I asked if they would exchange them and they did!

I don't remember the official rate. I think I had 40 pesos and got 10 euros, but don't quote me on that. I was just glad they took them.

Back