Chess anyone?

RobinBird28

Registered
Does anyone know of a public place to play chess with others? clubs/organizations?

Or if anyone is interested in a one on one game, maybe to meet in a cafe?

^ I forgot to add that I'm not very experienced or skilled but I do enjoy playing from time to time...

I'm up for a chess match, RB28. I often see folks playing in parks and such, and I know there are local chess clubs, though I haven't found out where yet. I'm intermediate btw.

There is a chess club called Jaque Mate on Santiago del Estero between Salta and Estados Unidos. The other one is on Paraguay but I don't recall the cross street (recoleta area I think)

Celia said:
There is a chess club called Jaque Mate on Santiago del Estero between Salta and Estados Unidos. The other one is on Paraguay but I don't recall the cross street (recoleta area I think)

Paraguay 1858. That's the real chess club of Buenos Aires and is over a century old. It has three storeys. And inside you will find furniture and memorabilia related to the Alekhine-Capablanca world championship match of 1927 and the Fischer-Petrosian world semi-final match of 1971. Plus some stuff from the San Luis Tournament of 2005. Most evenings some players can be found for 5-minute or 10-minute games. For non-club-members, there's a charge of 7 pesos for the evening.

There's often a chess bookstall downstairs. And when big tournaments are being held, there are two.

Plus food and non-alcoholic drink are for sale.

If you're not a club player and are not au courant with the latest wrinkles in the Sicilian Sveshnikov or Winawer French, you can still get a decent game in the parks on weekends (I'm still smarting from getting beaten twice in such park encounters).

The website: http://www.cargentinodeajedrez.com.ar/

Back