Chile Tourist Fee if you're Just Stopping Over?

99 % sure. Because I did not do it personally, but an American friuend with a DNI who lives in Mendoza WHO EXPECTED TO PAY lined up, after arriving at the Santiago Airport 2 weeks ago, for the non - Mercosur entrants. When he showed his passport and DNI and put down his money, he was told to go into the other line-up and told he did not have to pay. He was surprised, happily surprised.

I have never entered Chile by plane; I have always gone overland, so I do not have a personal experience, but my Yank friend`s version was convincing to me, and he had no reason to lie.

All the best, :)

Reciprocity fee to be paid when entering Chile via Santiago airport:

Australia - 61.00 US$.
Canada - 132.00 US$.
Mexico - 15.00 US$.
Albania - 30.00 US$.
USA - 131.00 US$

How about $0 if traveling by land? That's what I paid ;) If you're just passing through w/o leaving the airport, you pay zilch...

Me too, paid nada whenever I went to Chile. By land only, of course. :)

The topic from the first page makes it clear that we are ONLY talking about arriving on an international flight by air at the international airport in Santiago.

The reciprocity fees do NOT apply:

-to arriving by air from within Chile,
-to departing by air from the international airport or from any other place in Chile,
-to arriving by land, or boat, from any point.

Clear as mud, compadres? :)

One thing all of you missed. If you travel by plane you must pay the visa fee if you leave the airport.

You never have to pay if your just connecting. Well lo an behold the aviation industry, what happens if your flight cancels. You are not permitted to stay overnight in the airport. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,This is what you missed!
you need to leave and get a hotel or other, and....................
you then will pay the visa fee. Too bad for you.
If your living in Argentina permanently then get a DNI, end of story, I have one and do not pay the Chilean visa fee, ever.
caio

jedard said:
One thing all of you missed. If you travel by plane you must pay the visa fee if you leave the airport.

Actually, amigo/amiga:), it wasn't missed. If you see my post on the first page of the thread, it was mentioned, which is why you should check through your baggage if you are just passing through.:)

Fortunately, Chile is the first-world, so the chances of a cancellation or major delay are minimal compared to the mess at Argntine airports.

Actually I was referring to the fact that a plane could be grounded for what ever reason, regardless of your baggage, in that instant your going to get hit with the visa fee.

mendozanow said:
Actually, amigo/amiga:), it wasn't missed. If you see my post on the first page of the thread, it was mentioned, which is why you should check through your baggage if you are just passing through.:)

Fortunately, Chile is the first-world, so the chances of a cancellation or major delay are minimal compared to the mess at Argntine airports.

Back