Chilean Peso Turista

So, you're extrapolating from your experience with one bank in Chile, that no ATMs in Chile allow you to withdraw dollars? Not sure about your logic there Rich.

As I mentioned, I was able to withdraw dollars several years ago in the airport in Santiago. I don't remember which bank.

Che You wish to debate the issue, better check for yourself .... Go back to that ATM :cool:

I have used ATM's in all possible Banks in Chile, Estado, Chile, NovaScotia, Santander, BBVA, etc, during the past 10 years, never obtained dollars.no extrapolation here :D You misread my Posting anyhow..!! Let it rest.

I was asking about ch.pesos mostly because hotel we are staying in already warned us, that with cc we have to pay 5% more. It's OK for me, still is way less than dollar blue and we don't have to pay iva at least.

That is interesting. So far I had no problems with cc and extra charges in hotels. Only once - when we rented a cabin in a rural area - they told us that they only accepted cash at the time of the checkout. They had the visa and mastercard stickers on their door, though. Their excuse was that their phone/internet line was to unreliable for the RedCompra card reader device. During our whole stay their phone line and wifi seemed to work perfectly fine. I guess they just wanted to save the cc transaction fee from some foreign tourists ...

That is interesting. So far I had no problems with cc and extra charges in hotels. Only once - when we rented a cabin in a rural area - they told us that they only accepted cash at the time of the checkout. They had the visa and mastercard stickers on their door, though. Their excuse was their their phone/internet line was to unreliable for the RedCompra card reader device. During our whole stay their phone line and wifi seemed to work perfectly fine. I guess they just wanted to save the cc transaction fee from some foreign tourists ...

Of course, they want dollar in cash, normal. It's not hotel actually, some cabañas, and since it's quite cheap, I won't even complain. I guess in hotels things are different, but we don't want to overpay for nice rooms, since we'll be in only for the night. For 5 people cabañas are perfect solution, since hotels come quite expensive in this case.

A quick update on the ATM fees for debit cards in Chile. I was just in Santiago and BancoEstado is now charging ATM fees as well. The fee was 4.000 for a 400.000 withdrawal. So it looks like Banco Security is the last one not charging fees. But they have very few ATM's ...

BancoEstado does not charge ATM fees but only works with Mastercard branded debit cards. BancoEstado has ATM's all over Chile even in rural areas and their per transaction withdrawal limit is 400.000 pesos (if I remember it correctly). Another bank that does not charge ATM fees and in fact does accept visa debit cards is Banco Security but their ATM's are hard to find. All other banks charge per transaction fees of up to 3xxx-4xxx pesos for debit cards use and have a 200.000 pesos per transaction withdrawal limit (so the fee is somewhere in the 1.5-2% range - not that great).

A quick update on the ATM fees for debit cards in Chile. I was just in Santiago and BancoEstado is now charging ATM fees as well. The fee was 4.000 for a 400.000 withdrawal. So it looks like Banco Security is the last one not charging fees. But they have very few ATM's ...

No dollars at ATM's ??

Back