Chinese/asian Food

There is a pretty authentic Korean restaurant in Once, I forget the name. You can find it through a search ...not sure about Chinese, but I doubt it. There weren't any authentic Chinese restaurants even in the US until recently.

Authentic Chinese are to be found in San Francisco's famed Chinatown and also in Manhattan right across the Italian town.

OP needs to give more context for us to be really helpful. What many of us may consider good/authentic, others will just laugh as ignorance. Is OP from mainland China? Chinese from USA? then what city (I can assure you that Chinese food in Alabama is very different from Flushing, Queens in NYC)? Even with chinese food, there are many kinds of cuisine -- what you eat in Beijing is VERY different from what you eat in Hong Kong. Also, most of the Chinese here (at least the ones in the supermarkets) come from Fujian province so the few authentic (cooked by chinese for the eating pleasure/critical tongue of other chinese) are from there (I posted about one such before).

if you ask me, Barrio Chino / Chinatown is fast food chinese. Ok for a craving of rice and noodles tossed in a wok, but I have yet to find a good place there that makes me say "Yummy" like in Flushing, NYC or Vancouver, Canada (better than HK). I just resigned to go to Asia Supermarket and eat at their deli when I have a craving. At least it's cheap there. I did eat at the Japanese Ramen place on Mendoza Street (in Barrio China) and found it good (but pricey), but then again I am not Japanese so on that one, I may be the ignorant one.

As for PF Chang in San Isidro (and frankly for the ones in San Francisco Bay Area as well) it is overpriced and same or less flavor as the ones in Chinatown. I went there about 4-5 months ago and swore to myself to never enter another PF Chang again unless it's the only place open and I'm starving.

For other asian restaurants, I am told that Osaka and Sudestada in Palermo are really good. Have not tried them though. I've had good Korean choices in Flores/Floresta (though they are expensive, I had to roll the 100s there).

BTW, Yelp has launched in BA. Will be using it to find good restaurants

Hello again! I was wondering, how common or easy is it to find Chinese food or Asian food in general in BA? As a Chinese student, I'm going to miss my comfort food a lot. Also, how is the food in Chinatown? Is it authentic?

Theres some 120,000 expat Chinese in Argentina, its a good bet you`ll find authentic Chinese food somewhere. Mind you something went disasterly wrong with Italian cuisine when they landed in Argentina (joke! Ice cream is better here than in Italy, well its cheaper anyway)

So you are a good cook ? Then it will make 2 of us perhaps. Possible to learn some cooking your style? I wanting to keep polishing my cooking skill for my never ending pursuit for culinary perfection!

Jaja, the trick is: everything tastes better with wine. But seriously, cooking can be tough here. The one thing I miss the most about the US is the average Whole Foods or urban-sized grocery store where one trip will satisfy your need for just about any unique/gourmet/hard-to-find oil, ingredient, fresh herb or substitution (including asian/ethnic foods). I've had dinner parties (relatively simple menus) that require 2-3 Jumbo/Disco/Chino stops just to find fresh rosemary or sea salt that doesn't cost 75 pesos. Sigh...

And on that note...if anyone can tell me where I can find raw (actually raw...as in grey, not pink) shrimp, crab legs, large scallops, truffle oil or white pepper I'll give you a million dollars. Gracias.

I have found that the delivery restaurants are usually not really "authentic"/quality, but the ones that actually have a dining salon with the spinning tables and a hidden chinese menu are.

OP - if you end up close to the Almagro area, one such restaurant is "Aroma China", in Paraguay 2741. Phone number is 4966-1906 (they do delivery too)

And on that note...if anyone can tell me where I can find raw (actually raw...as in grey, not pink) shrimp, crab legs, large scallops, truffle oil or white pepper I'll give you a million dollars. Gracias.

For the seafood part, the best place in BA is Regente SA. They even have LIVE oysters at time (really alive).
You'll find raw (frozen) shrimp (you can find some also in the barrio Chino if I recall, but Regente has the best prices). Never found raw crab legs. This place has sometimes (once every year/two years) fresh crab but problem with crab is that it gets rotten quickly (the one they sell is cooked).

Here goes their list of prices from oct 2013 (this place doesn't sell to the public usually, but if you buy a good quantity or have a good vibe, they'll sell to you. They speak French by the way so for the French speaking people here = useful)

fish2_zpscc4e8f9e.jpg

fish1_zpsa707e943.jpg

Check http://baexpats.org/...s-aalliiivveee/

Has anyone been to Chino Central on Rivadavia 600 (between Florida and Maipú)?

Back