Chinese/asian Food

Ask the Chinese people where they eat and they'll tell you were to get "authentic" Chinese food.

When I lived over near Corrientes & Junin, there was a Chinese restaurant that was massive, but always seemed fairly empty. (Some kind of front for something.) But a few observations:

1) Chinese people were their main customers.
2) When I went with an lady who is half-Asian and we asked for the fish soup dish like the Chinese people were eating at the next table, they said that it was really spicy. We both said we eat spicy food and we're not from Argentina and we wanted it like the people at the next table.
-When they finally brought it, it was spicy, but not that spicy. We asked the waiter why it wasn't very spicy and he said that they didn't make it too spicy because they didn't want us to send it back.
-They rather err on the side of non-spicy despite one of us obviously being Asian and both of us speaking foreign Spanish..
-If you ask in a Chinese dialect, you'll probably get the full amount of spice.
3) There was a Chinese wedding reception (or something) once when I went there and about 100 to 130 people were downing massive amounts of food. These weren't Argentines who were of Chinese descent, these were Chinese people who had moved to Argentina. So I'm guessing that it was pretty authentic.

Ask in Chinese and you will receive a genuine answer.

Here I found it; I ate here all the time. Excellent, authentic Korean food. As good as anything you find in Los Angeles Koreatown, etc.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g312741-d1229931-Reviews-Bi_Won-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

Bi Won is adapted to the AR taste. However, the grilled pork with honey is great, but not spicy.

Jaja, the trick is: everything tastes better with wine. But seriously, cooking can be tough here. The one thing I miss the most about the US is the average Whole Foods or urban-sized grocery store where one trip will satisfy your need for just about any unique/gourmet/hard-to-find oil, ingredient, fresh herb or substitution (including asian/ethnic foods). I've had dinner parties (relatively simple menus) that require 2-3 Jumbo/Disco/Chino stops just to find fresh rosemary or sea salt that doesn't cost 75 pesos. Sigh...

And on that note...if anyone can tell me where I can find raw (actually raw...as in grey, not pink) shrimp, crab legs, large scallops, truffle oil or white pepper I'll give you a million dollars. Gracias.

Mellina oposite mercado del progreso always has raw shrimp and lots of other fresh fish and do incredible weekend offers if you reserve your order during the week. Also have spanish octopus, norwegian salmon etc. The best chinese restaurant in BA is in Villa Crespo, Vera and Scalabrini Ortiz. Family run, cheap and good. Not adapted for Argentine tastes, lots of chinese normally eating there.

Jaja, the trick is: everything tastes better with wine. But seriously, cooking can be tough here. The one thing I miss the most about the US is the average Whole Foods or urban-sized grocery store where one trip will satisfy your need for just about any unique/gourmet/hard-to-find oil, ingredient, fresh herb or substitution (including asian/ethnic foods). I've had dinner parties (relatively simple menus) that require 2-3 Jumbo/Disco/Chino stops just to find fresh rosemary or sea salt that doesn't cost 75 pesos. Sigh...

And on that note...if anyone can tell me where I can find raw (actually raw...as in grey, not pink) shrimp, crab legs, large scallops, truffle oil or white pepper I'll give you a million dollars. Gracias.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-532308342-camaron-pelado-crudo-_JM

Mellina oposite mercado del progreso always has raw shrimp and lots of other fresh fish and do incredible weekend offers if you reserve your order during the week. Also have spanish octopus, norwegian salmon etc. The best chinese restaurant in BA is in Villa Crespo, Vera and Scalabrini Ortiz. Family run, cheap and good. Not adapted for Argentine tastes, lots of chinese normally eating there.

That would be Bai Fu I believe. Very good Chinese food. Atmosphere is non existent however, if that is important.

Well,there is TAO-TAO restaurant,on Cabildo avenue,been there,in the same place,and I think the same owners,for 40 or 50 years,it is supposedly very good

do they have General Tso's chicken?
I have yet to see that anywhere here.

Gpop - You might find this informative/ amusing. My favorite part is when she takes the fortune cookies to China, hilarious! I had never heard of General Tso's Chicken until I saw this a few years back. I'm from a hippie part of California and have been a vegetarian since early adolescence, so that might be why. There are a lot of recipes for it online, I'm tempted to try to make a veggie version myself, if only to see what all the fuss is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6MhV5Rn63M

Back