Chinese supermarkets for dummies?

CarverFan

Registered
Can someone explain what's behind this phenomenon? Who owns the supermarkets, how do these immigrants afford their travel, do they have to work a certain amount of hours to pay back loans. What kind of visa do they have, some govt special? The Chinese workers I've chatted to have to work at least 14 hours a day, 6.5 to 7 days a week, 363 days a year. I've heard lots of stories, can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

I am guessing they are something like NZ chineese owned businesses. They all pool their money together to buy the place as most immigrants come with very little. Then they all work long hours and go without to get ahead. Even the kids will be doing stuff, like stack shelves - no playing PS3 from when they get home to go to bed.
This pays for the kids education, and that generation are usually doctors/lawyers/accountants/IT guys etc.
They work hard also, and then its their kids who becomes like the locals and get PS3's, the attitude, etc......

I admire them a lot, however recently I've been hearing rumors about them having some sort of special tax and labor laws exemption.

I heard that there is an agreement with the government that chinese supermarkets don't have to pay taxes (maybe its just certain types of taxes that they don't have to pay) for the first three years. Apparently, they get around this by signing the business over to a different name every 3 years. I heard its an agreement between the argentine and chinese govts. I'm not sure what the argentine govt is getting in return

Ashley said:
I heard that there is an agreement with the government that chinese supermarkets don't have to pay taxes (maybe its just certain types of taxes that they don't have to pay) for the first three years. Apparently, they get around this by signing the business over to a different name every 3 years. I heard its an agreement between the argentine and chinese govts. I'm not sure what the argentine govt is getting in return

how about beneficial access to huge market for arg products?

Matt84 said:
I admire them a lot, however recently I've been hearing rumors about them having some sort of special tax and labor laws exemption.

Since they're being killed in significant numbers (supposedly Chinese mafia) they deserve any tax breaks they can get to pay the extortion money (usually reported at 50k usd). Sadly the 35yr old who owned the one across the park from my house was one such victim this year. I've heard all the stories of changed expiry dates on their products and switch of the fridges at night but the ones I would frequent are so nice, hard workers and would not hesitate to exchange a faulty purchase..

Ashley said:
I'm not sure what the argentine govt is getting in return

Ambitious, qualified, hard working to-be-citizens, my guess
Just like they did with Europeans 100 years ago

Back in the 80's, when there were few super markets, it was hard to find a place open on Sunday or after hours. Thanks to the hard working Chinese and Koreans who make things convenient for all. I see the same people working day and night in their stores and I am grateful for their labor.

Ashley said:

I've also heard that it is an agreement with the Chinese gov't and the local gov't. Actually I didn't hear this here, but in Portugal. They make the same sort of deals. I wondered this because there are Chinese stores popping up in the most unlikely places, tiny "middle of no where" sort of places, not like BA (huge city).

Back