Chinese Trains Help To Resume The Link Between Cordoba/bsas

I'd think that without the need to impress its population with shinny mirrors, or to (attempt to) settle loans with industrial purchases, Brazil would not do this in a rush, but eventually the only two cities in South America that are big (and prosperous) enough and at a short enough distance to require a high-speed train connection would be Rio - Sao Paulo.

Brasilia - Goiania.
Brasilia - Belo Horizonte
Belo Horizonte - Sao Paulo
Belo Horizonte - Rio de Janeiro
Sao Paulo - Rio de Janeiro
Sao Paulo - Curitiba

Those are all very viable lines. The problem of building such fast train tracks is that they will cost 10x normal, due to graft and corruption.

Curitiba-SaoPaulo-Rio and Brasilia-Goiania is very plausible, but Brasilia-Belo Horizonte-Rio/SP is too long to make airplanes redundant, IMO.

Curitiba-SaoPaulo-Rio and Brasilia-Goiania is very plausible, but Brasilia-Belo Horizonte-Rio/SP is too long to make airplanes redundant, IMO.

The Tohoku Shinkansen line is 673km long. Belo Horizone - SP is 582 km. Belo Horizonte - Rio de Janeiro is 440km. Brasilia - Belo Horizonte is 734 km. Also, Brazil is a lot less mountainous than Japan. The land in between Brasilia and Belo Horizonte is actually really flat. Seems quite viable to me. If it wasn't for corruption.

Not really, when you consider the uk railway which are old curvy Victorian lines, they build a tilting train to run on it.
it failed for multiple reasons but we now have Italian leaning trains that have moved on a generation from the old BR APT ones.

Yuo can check out speed limits in the uk here.

http://www.networkra...aspx/10563.aspx

Although built by the brits, i'm sure with all the open space Argentina has they didn't go the same way as the curvy British lines and long distance they are relatively straight.

fix the tracks and crossings and 100mph+ isn't impossible?

Yes, it is possible but the costs are just too high even without all the corruption. Distances are too great and there just isn't the need for 100 mph trains, though I would love to see them. Most of the Argentine population is poor. To them saving ten pesos on a ticket to Tucuman means something. If trains were decent and ran at 1960s speeds, they would attract the middle class. There was never a need for a bullet train to Cordoba. Ticket prices would be prohibitive unless massively subsidized and even then most business people would continue to fly. I don't know what it is like now but from the 1990s onward for a decade or so I often rode the Marplatense to Mar del Plata. The train was reliable, comfortable and offered an impressive dining car service (waiters even wore white gloves). The trip took about four and a half hours non stop using equipment bought by Peron in the early 1940s from the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in the US. I remember the Friday out and Sunday back service almost always crowded. I think it still runs but possibly on a seasonal basis. Not sure. Modest improvements are all that is needed now but given the terrible state of track, those improvements would take a good deal of money and commitment on the part of a government with a progressive, coherent transport policy.

This is what the construction of a bullet train line in either Brazil or Argentina would look like.

giphy.gif

In order to run speedy trains, the most important is the tracks. If rail tracks are longer at each junction the less maintanance.

p3745501a446015684.jpg

Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal said its extra-long rails are more durable than shorter ones that need to be welded together and can offer passengers a quieter, more comfortable ride.

The company, the world's second-largest steelmaker after ArcelorMittal, has been making the 150-metre rails since 2002, but had to cut them to 25-metre or 50-metre units in order to send them to customers.

Train operators usually weld them together to recreate longer rails, often stretching to around 200 metres, to improve riding comfort and to reduce noise and oscillation, said Kayo Kikuchi, spokeswoman at the steelmaker.

Welding meant additional cost and maintenance for railway operators, she said.

"There has been the demand for longer rails, which would mean fewer welding points and less maintenance" for train operators, she said.- See more at: http://www.ntd.tv/en/news/world/asia-pacific/20140417/128787-japan-steelmaker-ready-to-ship-world39s-longest-rail-tracks.html#sthash.naXpAERH.dpuf

Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal said its extra-long rails are more durable than shorter ones that need to be welded together and can offer passengers a quieter, more comfortable ride.

The company, the world's second-largest steelmaker after ArcelorMittal, has been making the 150-metre rails since 2002, but had to cut them to 25-metre or 50-metre units in order to send them to customers.

Train operators usually weld them together to recreate longer rails, often stretching to around 200 metres, to improve riding comfort and to reduce noise and oscillation, said Kayo Kikuchi, spokeswoman at the steelmaker.

Welding meant additional cost and maintenance for railway operators, she said.

"There has been the demand for longer rails, which would mean fewer welding points and less maintenance" for train operators, she said.- See more at: http://www.ntd.tv/en/news/world/asia-pacific/20140417/128787-japan-steelmaker-ready-to-ship-world39s-longest-rail-tracks.html#sthash.naXpAERH.dpuf

http://www.ntd.tv/en/news/world/asia-pacific/20140417/128787-japan-steelmaker-ready-to-ship-world39s-longest-rail-tracks.html

For train buffs, from the Bullet trains to Shinkansen and mono rail on and under to subway trains a galore !

200-series-shinkansen.jpg

steam-train.jpg

diesel-in-countryside.jpg

http://www.unmissablejapan.com/etcetera/trains

New Chinese trains arrive in BsAs on July 7, this is a different type, internal combustion type, by a different company, China Vehicles, first batch of 4. Total 27 locomotives and 81 carts. with new tech and emphasis on special anti-rust paint, UV glass. Operation speed 100 kilometer/hour.

photos are here:

http://www.51argenti...ws-itemid-45824

7.jpg

Back