Church in Palermo Soho

amyostrander

Registered
As I am sure some of you have seen. I am new to BA and looking for lots of recommendations! Anyone know of a great Catholic church in Palermo Soho?

I just realized that I can't even remember there being a church IN Palermo Soho.

There is one in P. HOLLYWOOD (on Dorrego) and in another "Palermo" on the ~"South" side of Scalabrini Ortiz at Plaza Guemes:

dsc00938.jpg

Plaza Guemes

I know of a "Jabad" (spelled "Chabad" in English) house in Palermo Soho, but the only church I can even think of is on Santa Fe near Oro (between Plaza Italia & the Palermo train station/subte stop).

UPDATE:

Just remembered the Armenians have a church (ON Calle Armenia... of course) across from the Armenian Cultural Center. How's your Armenian? They might also have some services in Spanish.

Salvan%2Bdel%2Bremate%2Bun%2Bedificio%2Bdel%2BCentro%2BArmenio%2Bporte%25C3%25B1o.jpg

Armenian Church in Palermo Soho

Are you looking for a religious service to attend? There is only one Catholic church in the city with a weekly English mass - Madre Admirable on Arroyo in Retiro. The church is across the street from the former Israeli embassy, the one that was attacked about a decade ago. Terrible disaster. A lot of people died including one of the Madre Admirable priests. You can google the church's website. It's one of the prettiest and best maintained parishes in the city.

Thanks for your responses. I am looking for a Catholic Service in Spanish (learning Spanish and I think it will help =). I am at Malabia y Honduras. I will check these places out. Many thanks...

I understand but I still suggest that you try Madre Admirable. There are MANY Argentines who attend the English mass and they mix with the foreigners at the coffee hour that follows mass. This is the only local Catholic parish I have ever heard of that has a coffee hour and I think you'll find more support there than you will at the other parishes. You can also alternate and attend the Spanish mass one week at Madre Admirable and then the English mass the next week. Give it a try.

chris said:
The church is across the street from the former Israeli embassy, the one that was attacked about a decade ago. Terrible disaster...

Nearly 2 decades ago. -March 17th, 1992- (19 and a half years last month.)

chris said:
I understand but I still suggest that you try Madre Admirable. There are MANY Argentines who attend the English mass and they mix with the foreigners at the coffee hour that follows mass. This is the only local Catholic parish I have ever heard of that has a coffee hour and I think you'll find more support there than you will at the other parishes.

This is standard at practically every (non-Catholic) church I'm familiar with back in the States. Perhaps it might behoove more churches to take note.

I stand corrected on the date. The rest of what I said is correct. The church was very badly damaged.

I was referring to parishes in BA when I said that it's the only Catholic parish I know of with a coffee hour. I did not mean in the US. Different culture, different style. Madre Admirable parish is an exception. They've worked hard to please the expat community. I was trying to be helpful with the information, Napoleon. I wasn't trying to argue.

amyostrander said:
Thanks for your responses. I am looking for a Catholic Service in Spanish (learning Spanish and I think it will help =). I am at Malabia y Honduras. I will check these places out. Many thanks...

Having recently been on the hunt for a church for our wedding, I came across this site. It shows all Catholic churches on Google maps.

http://www.cienciayfe.com.ar/parroquias/
The map is here:
http://www.cienciayfe.com.ar/parroquias/talfiler.htm
(you'll have to zoom in and find your streets, or switch to map view and click on 135 Santa Lucia (Palermo) link down below which is one of the ones closest to you)

Madre Admirable is a beautiful church and has an English mass on Sundays for those who are interested. It's a little further away, but if you can visit, try to go to Nuestra Señora de la Piedad - it's more in the Centro, but it's a beautiful basilica. Lots of nice churches in the area. :)

If you're interested in meeting Argentines you'll have a better chance at Madre Admirable than at other parishes where there is no social hour after mass.

Back