Cigarette Prices At Different Kiosks

I referred to dog shit because is, curiously, still on the street, while government obviously spend pile of money to remove cigarettes. Must be something with ecology, but then I would advise them, to clean all other trash minus dog shit.

And funny, even if I never had dog and even if I have to listen them all night, never occurs me to try to prohibit them,which is usually not the case with cigarette Nazis..

I always clean up after my dog and, in Buenos Aires, I always carry plastic bags to offer to irresponsible dog owners. Failure to clean up dog feces is unforgivable but, unlike cigarette butts, they are at least biodegradable.
Have you ever smoked dog shit?
I quit smoking years ago but when the smoke passes by in the air I still enjoy the lift. Unlike bus fumes and dog shit. When I'm in BA my eyes and lungs burn from the diesel fumes and the smell of dog "stepped on" shit is disgusting.
Walking on Centenario is hell. Retiro is deadly. Somebody smoking is the last thing I'm worried about.

Have you ever smoked dog shit?
I quit smoking years ago but when the smoke passes by in the air I still enjoy the lift. Unlike bus fumes and dog shit. When I'm in BA my eyes and lungs burn from the diesel fumes and the smell of dog "stepped on" shit is disgusting.
Walking on Centenario is hell. Retiro is deadly. Somebody smoking is the last thing I'm worried about.

The scent is pretty much identical, but dogshit is more appetizing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g09RQfWEY4

I'm all for ticketing and fining people who don't clean up after their dogs (and cats), for licensing both, and for clearing stray and feral animals off the street. I doubt, though, whether any locality in Argentina has the will and/or ability to do so.

what a silly argument.

The answer to the original question is- thats the way it works here.
the fact is, Argentina is still a mid 20th century economy.
There are wholesale outlets for most products, and the minimum purchase at most wholesale outlets here, whether you are buying underwear or cigarettes, is very low.

In the USA, for example, a wholesaler will require you to establish an account, give them credit info, and then buy a minimum amount each purchase. Often, for something like cigarettes, they will require a minimum in the thousands of dollars, or a regular monthly delivery.

in Buenos Aires, however, pretty much any kiosk can drive out, and buy 500 pesos worth of cigarettes at wholesale, and then mark them up to whatever price they want.

So retail prices, for everything, vary at the whim of the retailer, and vary according to where the seller is, how much competition there is, and how lazy the buyer is. I have seen the exact same product sold for two different prices within one quadra.

Its chaos.
Get used to it.

You must be joking?! You seriously don't live in Argentina, no? If someone here is cleaning cigarettes away, must be very careful not to touch dog shit and other filth on the street.

Besides, I never threw anything on the floor, also don't smoke on the streets nor public spaces, except bars. Which is almost never. Why people always presume all smokers are also ignorant fu**ups at the same time?

Don't forget about the heavy-particle dust that continually filters through the air, in much greater quantities than any cigarette smoke in any given area (if anyone tries to tell me that smokers in a given area put out even close to the amount of exhaust that comes from the city traffic, I'll laugh my head off), which requires one to clean the house at least once a day just to pick it up off of every surface, either that or suffocate inside without access to air (I won't bother calling it fresh) with everything shut tight.

I never did like the city, any city, for pretty much that reason. It's too bad it's so convenient for our girls to live in the city, because if I had my 'druthers, I'd be living in the country on plenty of land where anyone who complains about my smoking can kiss my big, fat...we'll you get the drift. And it really ain't that fat, anyway :D

Don't forget about the heavy-particle dust that continually filters through the air, in much greater quantities than any cigarette smoke in any given area (if anyone tries to tell me that smokers in a given area put out even close to the amount of exhaust that comes from the city traffic, I'll laugh my head off), which requires one to clean the house at least once a day just to pick it up off of every surface, either that or suffocate inside without access to air (I won't bother calling it fresh) with everything shut tight.

I never did like the city, any city, for pretty much that reason. It's too bad it's so convenient for our girls to live in the city, because if I had my 'druthers, I'd be living in the country on plenty of land where anyone who complains about my smoking can kiss my big, fat...we'll you get the drift. And it really ain't that fat, anyway :D

So, another denialist who chooses to make things worse rather than better...

So, another denialist who chooses to make things worse rather than better...
You can't change behavior with shame.
Argentina is still somewhat tolerant of various vises and freedoms. And people will change with time. Which is unlike cities like Laguna Beach CA where if someone lights up anywhere within the city limits the Smoke Nazi writes them a huge fine and maybe jail.
I don't smoke but when I'm in Laguna I am very tempted to light up [something/anything]. It's that kind of Nazi shit that empowers the rest of the right wingnuts to further extend their hyper moral agenda.

So retail prices, for everything, vary at the whim of the retailer, and vary according to where the seller is, how much competition there is, and how lazy the buyer is. I have seen the exact same product sold for two different prices within one quadra.

(Finally a on topic reply! Thanks!).

Well, apparently things work very differently than in my home country, where the government keeps the tobacco monopoly and thus the cigarette price is govt-imposed. The reseller is given around 10% and that's it.
Basically, tobacco is not like any other product on the market, there is no competition and there is only one price, wherever you buy it, and only authorized resellers can sell tobacco. In Italy, they don't sell tobacco in supermarkets like in the US, for example.

Other smoking paraphernalia, such as papers, filters, cutters, etc. follow market rules, of course.

In Italy, in the past even salt was a monopoly and could be bought only at kiosks. They liberalized salt about 25 years ago.

Back