Citizenship Options - Overstay Tourist Visa, Or Legit Route?

You can get your FBI report while in Argentina don't worry about that just be aware it can take a few months to get it appostilled and sent to BA

Hola chicos,

Over the last 5 months, I have read all the threads here about citizenship, hundreds of pages worth. I moved here (a US citizen) about 6 weeks ago, so I still have 45 days left on my tourist visa. I am going to be here for at least 2 years. While I'm here, I would like to get Argentine citizenship.

I met with one citizenship lawyer, who unequivocally advised me to overstay my tourist visa. He advised me to NOT do the Uruguay visa runs, and to NOT go to migraciones for residency. I'm fine with doing the "overstay the visa" method, but before I let the 90 days pass on my tourist visa, while I'm still "legit", I wanted to get feedback from forum members here. Once I overstay, at that point I will have crossed the line from legit to irregular.

As I said, I have no problem being "irregular" for the 2 year period, but before I cross that line, I wanted to ask here. If you need more info on my background, just ask. Thank you.
Stay away from a prórroga at migraciones. It can cost you a lot of problems later. Uruguay, Chile, overstay are all better solutions.

With all my respect, to study Spanish at UBA qualifies for a student residency.
well I was mislead by what I read here before ??? I still disbelieve that a 1 month Spanish summer course, qualifies for student visa residency...? well I have been wrong before. Had I known this before would have enrolled in UBA Summer Spanish course.!!!!

Attention all expats ... need resident visa enroll in the UBA 1 month Spanish course, no more hassles with rentista etc.

1) to study Spanish at UBA qualifies for a student residency if you need more time than the 90 days they stamped on the passport.
My Chinese translator got her DNI using the Spanish for foreigners at UBA.
I have no less than 40 cases of Chinese citizens who arrived to this country based on the languaje programm at UBA.

2) Precisely! When you give up with struggling with a rentista residency and you decide to spend about 5000 usd on a law firm who does immigration, they apply for a student visa for you at UBA on a Spanish course.
Perhaps i wasn t clear the last 2 or 3 years i was pointing this fact.

3) DNM double checks that you really study. They make inspections. If that day you decided to stay in bed, in 90 days you get a deportación order.

4) a languaje course at CUI means all the mornings of the week at class and 500 usd per month.

A Breakthrough
1) to study Spanish at UBA qualifies for a student residency if you need more time than the 90 days they stamped on the passport.
I have no less than 40 cases of Chinese citizens who arrived to this country based on languaje programm at UBA.

2) Precisely! When you give up with struggling with a rentista residency and you decide to spend about 5000 usd on a law firm who does immigration, they apply for a student visa for you at UBA on a Spanish course.

A major breakthrough , you were absolutely unclear before...!! :D

I have no less than 40 cases of Chinese citizens who arrived to this country based on the languaje programm at UBA.

3) DNM double checks that you really study. They make inspections. If that day you decided to stay in bed, in 90 days you get a deportación order.

4) a languaje course at CUI means all the mornings of the week at class and 500 usd per month.

bajo cero rocks!

Wow, this is a pleasant surprise. I am taking the Spanish class because I want to speak better Spanish, not because I wanted a student visa. I hate not being able to have conversations longer than 5 minutes with people I meet. I plan to take the UBA courses for the rest of the year anyway. I never miss class (I am a nerd), and in fact I was even considering taking two classes at once (the Palermo UBA site has afternoon classes). Language classes are my biggest expense here (except for rent), but to me it's worth it because improving my Spanish is a top priority for me.

Anyway, assuming that I qualify for the student visa, should I get it, or is still better to simply overstay my tourist visa? Does the student visa require the FBI background check, or just the Argentina "certificado de antecedentes penales" ?

Thanks for the comments everyone.

the DnM sends inspectors to check you are out of bed....... :wub: for thousands of students ... jajajjaaj prehaps you can coimear the inspector when he knocks on your door , so he won't report you....!!! Brave New World...

well I was mislead by what I read here before ??? I still disbelieve that a 1 month Spanish summer course, qualifies for student visa residency...? well I have been wrong before. Had I known this before would have enrolled in UBA Summer Spanish course.!!!!

Attention all expats ... need resident visa enroll in the UBA 1 month Spanish course, no more hassles with rentista etc.

Rich One-san, Iam very interested on your suggestion of 1 month "castellano class" for to build up my qualification for permanent or provisional residence. So how little is the course will cost me? Do you know ? Oh never mind, Bajo_Cero-san just posted US$500 per month, still pretty cheap me thinking!

Back