Citizenship

Let's assume FallenAngel is right and the judge does not like my situation and citizenship is not granted: What happens then? Can I get back to scare one and apply for permanent residency?

You have a solid case. You are married to an Argentine and most importantly have Argentine kids. You do not need to meet any time period or residence. Your case is vanilla, as long as you do the paper work and wait (18-24 months-ish). I don't think you even need a lawyer.

You have a solid case. You are married to an Argentine and most importantly have Argentine kids. You do not need to meet any time period or residence. Your case is vanilla, as long as you do the paper work and wait (18-24 months-ish). I don't think you even need a lawyer.
Thanks, Regarding the lawyer: bajo cero will see this probably differently :)

Thanks, Regarding the lawyer: bajo cero will see this probably differently :)

Nah, he and I have our differences but I think he would agree. That being said, there is nothing wrong with getting a lawyer, if they would save you time and you don't mind the extra cost. As long as you check all the boxes in the AR citizenship law you don't need a lawyer. In this case you do not meet the residency point BUT this point is waived if you have AR kids -- which you do. So you are all good. BUT it's going to be a long process regardless. Good Luck!

Why not just apply for permanent residency? It's really not that painful of a process and you can do it now. And it was quick in my experience although that was a long time ago. NO need for a lawyer and also if you've been in Arg for 2 years, you probably don't need a criminal report from overseas (even if you were in Arg on a tourist visa).
I was never interested in getting citizenship when I was there but permanent residency was great. Hell, my MIL who moved to Argentina when she was 2 and is now in her silver years (never mention your MIL age;) never got her citizenship and is still a permanent resident.

Let's assume FallenAngel is right and the judge does not like my situation and citizenship is not granted: What happens then? Can I get back to scare one and apply for permanent residency?
If you are alone you are done.
If you have proper legal repreresentation you appeal and if you loose then you give up and start over the case with an automatic change of judge.

Why not just apply for permanent residency? It's really not that painful of a process and you can do it now. And it was quick in my experience although that was a long time ago. NO need for a lawyer and also if you've been in Arg for 2 years, you probably don't need a criminal report from overseas (even if you were in Arg on a tourist visa).
I was never interested in getting citizenship when I was there but permanent residency was great. Hell, my MIL who moved to Argentina when she was 2 and is now in her silver years (never mention your MIL age;) never got her citizenship and is still a permanent resident.
Well, now it is not possible even to apply for PR but it is possible to apply for citizenship.

I'm curious if I leave before quarantine ends (on tourist visa - automatically extended) will I be able to enter again? As I mentioned in the other thread, I have a 2 year lease here and definitely plan on coming back. And am seriously considering citizenship... Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Reactions: Moe
Listen to Bajo cero, guys. He knows what he is doing. I consider him one of the best citizenship lawyers on the planet, on present day.

I'm curious if I leave before quarantine ends (on tourist visa - automatically extended) will I be able to enter again? As I mentioned in the other thread, I have a 2 year lease here and definitely plan on coming back. And am seriously considering citizenship... Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
I see it difficult because of sanitary restrictions. However, if you apply for citizenship before you leave, the situation is different. Citizenship is all about possession rights on your domicile here. Possession is not a title, it is a fact, citizenship is the tittle. So, you need evidence of the possession.

I see it difficult because of sanitary restrictions. However, if you apply for citizenship before you leave, the situation is different. Citizenship is all about possession rights on your domicile here. Possession is not a title, it is a fact, citizenship is the tittle. So, you need evidence of the possession.

Can someone receive citizenship even if they lose residency during the citizenship process? Pretend at year #2 they meet all requirements and file the court case. The court case is taking 1-2 years, so after 6 months they leave Argentina for whatever personal reason (stopping residency). Does that then become a reason the judge can deny them or is the only thing that matter that at the point of application they met the requirements?

To me if a case takes 3-4 years due to court process yet the judge can use the discontinuation of residency at year 2.5 as a reason to deny citizenship, then it is a denial of rights of the individual. Ultimately, if the court process means the entire process requires 3 or 4 years and the judge denies cases because a person left at year 2.5, then the judge has ultimately rewritten the constitution. De facto a 2 year requirement has turned into a 3-4 year requirement. They could theoretically extend the court process to 10 years and make the de factor time required 10 years. Thus the intent of the law has been overruled.

Back