Citizenship

Everybody knows that the strength of an argument depends on a quality of paper it is printed on. Printer brand is also very important.
----

I think one of the hidden goals of this exercise is to demonstrate that the person can function in a society on some level. In particular, he should be capable of understand basic requests and comply with them, especially if they are in his interests.

If "bring us WU statements" request seems to be too complicated, raises multiple doubts and causes sufferings, would this person be able to handle something like "flip the hamburgers"?
The still unanswered question is whether or not the counrt will accept, as you suggested yesterday, the comprobantes of the COMPLETED transfers that Kula could eaisly print from the Western Union website or if, as Kula, fears, they will only accept the comprobantes that are given to the receiver when they pick up the funds in person in Argentina.

It's impossible to give the court something you don't have, but I think your suggestion is certainly worth a try.

If cash pick up transactions are like the bank to bank transfers, the online comprobabntes may actually show the transactions have been COMPLETED before the funds have been picked up. Hopefully, the court won't make an issue of it.

If I was in Kula's shoes, I would print the email receipts as well as the website receipts for the transfers of the past htre months, and give them to the court without additional comment. If there was any objection at this point, I would the ask if they would accept the income certification by a contador publico.

Last edited:
... print from the Western Union website or if, as Kula, fears, they will only accept...

It's impossible to give the court something you don't have, but I think your suggestion is certainly worth a try.
Outcome of events is uncertain in general until they actually take place. There is no reason to freak out about it.

There is the best thing you can do in this particular situation, you do it, if it does not work you suggest an alternative, they suggest an alternative and you move on.

I would the ask if they would accept the income certification by a contador publico.
Or you can ask if they would accept an apostilled letter from your foreign company official describing what kind of work do you do for them and how much money they paid you last year.

This has me thinking of the future. What should someone I my case have to showing? I'm here on a student visa and i had a show an account with sufficient income to survive. What would be required of me when they ask for income or whatever? I guess I should start saving those receipts.

If there was any objection at this point, I would the ask if they would accept the income certification by a contador publico.
Or you can ask if they would accept an apostilled letter from your foreign company official describing what kind of work do you do for them and how much money they paid you last year.
I thought it would be clear (by using the title in Spanish) when I wrote about asking if the court would accept income certification by "contador publico" that I was talking about an Argentine accountant.

If I understand correctly, based on Bajo_Cero2's post, the income certification by an Argentine accountant would be required to win any appeal if the sentence by the judge was negative.

That's something I would not want to leave to chance and would have no way of knowing it could happen until it actually happened.

Even if the court told me all I needed to provide was the Western Union receipts, having read Bajo_Cero2's posts, I would still ask them if I could provide the income certification by the Argentine contador publico.

I hope Dr.Ribilar will comment on this before Kula returns to the court, where Kula could still be asked for the official certification after presenting the Western Union comprobantes. Just because they asked for them first doesn't mean that's all they will want.

As Antipodean wrtoe:

(It) is surprising that courts can be satisfied by a simple comprobante from WU...
A WU transfer is not proof of having an “honest” means of living. It is simply a transfer from one account to the other. At the end of the day transferred funds could be from working under the table Geneva or peddling drugs on the streets of Shanghai and whether or not this income was subject to additional Argentine taxes/ rules is another chapter of the story and will depend on the tax rules applicable to your current status.

I guess the assumption is that if a public accountant has prepared a summary then they have asked about / verified the source of funds and it is not likely to be money laundering, tax evasion or other “unhonest” acts??

Last edited:
Hi All,
Regarding Citizenship, I was told last year through a friend of mine, who has a good friend who is a judge in Rosario, that in order for me to have Argentine citizenship I needed to renounce US citizenship as they don’t allow both… I am not sure if this is a old law on the books or if the judge simply was misinformed…
Before joining this forum, I was unable to find any info anywhere online in terms of being a dual Argentine- US citizen ….
I am wondering why the judge in Rosario told my friend, who is an escribiana, this. I was surprised to hear it and therefore I never pursued citizenship, only permanent residence….
I wonder how the person got the information they did… can anyone enlighten me and tell me if this was an old law on the books? Thanks for any and all info…
Yea, you can be a dual citizen no problem

This misconception is due to the fact that once you become an Argentine citizen, while you reside in Argentina, you are Argentine. If you get in trouble, the consulate will tell you are on your own.

Many countries require this in their oath to give up ties to their foreign nation.

However, one does not simply lose US citizenship by declaring that to Argentina. It is a lengthy process involving a visit and a hefty exit tax usually since the IRS wants its cuts.

Yea, you can be a dual citizen no problem

This misconception is due to the fact that once you become an Argentine citizen, while you reside in Argentina, you are Argentine. If you get in trouble, the consulate will tell you are on your own.

Many countries require this in their oath to give up ties to their foreign nation.

However, one does not simply lose US citizenship by declaring that to Argentina. It is a lengthy process involving a visit and a hefty exit tax usually since the IRS wants its cuts.
I`m not sure about US.

But usually for your home country you are citizen of this country and not argentine, and for argentina you are argentine. This doesn`t mean the consulate can`t help you, as consular territory is the territory of your home country, so you stop being argentine when you enter the consulate same as if you enter to the country itself. Otherwise how millions of people living abroad would still get passports and other documents, if obtaining foreign citizenship will close their acess to the consulate services.. Nope it should not be like that. Maybe US have its more strict rules?

(if you get in trouble) = If you are arrested or detained as a dual US-Argentine Citizen, i don't think the Argentine government has any obligation to allow the US consulate to see you since you are an Argentine Citizen first and foremost while within Argentina. If you were a permanent resident US citizen, you could still be visited by US consulate on your well-being and state.

What your'e thinking about is just normal stuff, and that's fine and operates as you'd expect.

Except you _can't_ give up US citizenship without squaring yourself with US income taxes. You can't make billions in the US and then abscond to Argentina to avoid paying US income taxes.

Hi All,
Regarding Citizenship, I was told last year through a friend of mine, who has a good friend who is a judge in Rosario, that in order for me to have Argentine citizenship I needed to renounce US citizenship as they don’t allow both… I am not sure if this is a old law on the books or if the judge simply was misinformed…
Before joining this forum, I was unable to find any info anywhere online in terms of being a dual Argentine- US citizen ….
I am wondering why the judge in Rosario told my friend, who is an escribiana, this. I was surprised to hear it and therefore I never pursued citizenship, only permanent residence….
I wonder how the person got the information they did… can anyone enlighten me and tell me if this was an old law on the books? Thanks for any and all info…
No NOT true. Both Argentina and US allow duel citizenship.

does anyone know how much does it cost now publishing the 2x edictos in La Nacion? Asking for a friend. I guess he can ask the court to change the newspaper if it's too expensive these days.

Back