Ciudadanía / Citizenship

Naturalized 'por opcion' minors get a DNI starting with 51.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]It will be interesting if we pull off the "por opcion" for my daughter if she gets the 19 or 51. Since she will be "por opcion" by naturalized parents. One would think she should get a 19. It's a little strange that she could perhaps be treated as a true "por opcion" since we were not citizens at the time of her birth. We would then have two 19s (my wife and me), a 52 (Argentine-born daughter) and then a 51. All three "classes" of Argentine citizen. (It doesn't technically exist according to Supreme Court, but it does in practice). [/background]

Passports arrived today. We didn't rush them.

Timeline for standard processing:

26JUN15 (Friday) Original appt at CDR location in Córdoba.
29JUN15 (Monday) Issue date on passports.
07JUL15 Notification from Renaper that passports were issued and provided to Correo OCA.
17JUL15 Delivery of passports to our home. (I believe this took a bit longer with the holiday).

It appears that Renaper is quite consistent at approximately three weeks processing for DNIs and passports...perhaps a little faster in BsAS.

I highly recommend CDR locations for processing. I am quite impressed.

Other news:

Converted my Monotributo to the new number. Surprisingly efficient. About 15 minutes. I booked a turno online. I was moved ahead of 10 other people at check-in and my appt was right on time.

I can now change my bank accounts. I have already changed several other accounts. It's not been as odious as I had expected.

Court Questions

I had planned to go to the courts here this week to see whether they might be able to share any information about sentences, rulings like my daughter's citizenship situation. Also to ask about getting on the padron electoral. I don't want to wait years to vote. Finally, to ask about temporary residents who have DNIs (and two years since fecha de ingreso on their ID) whether they can apply in the same manner I did without concern of rejection.

The courts in most of the provinces were already closed this week due to the winter holiday. BsAs starts next week. Will try at the end of the month.

Juzgado update.

1. Turned in copy of my wife's new DNI to close the trámite of citizenship. My juzgado did not request mine.

2. Asked the clerk whom I had worked with throughout about getting on the padrón electoral. She assured me that it wouldn't take years...and directed me to the office in the adjacent building here in Córdoba. I didn't have time today but I will follow up. Not incredibly pressing since we won't making it on for the upcoming election.

3. Asked about my daughter. She said that the law is very clear that one must be 18, but we could do a presentation and it could be granted. She was curious what the Registro has said. Confirmed it is more complicated (at least in terms of our argument) and wouldn't indicate whether she had seen such a case pass through her office. I am still weighing the options, but we're committed to moving forward.

4. Here's the most interesting thing BAExpat-ers. I asked about my friend who has lived three years here, never left the country and just received her precaria for rentista. She said that the requirement is proof of residence...and does not matter that she stayed in the country the entire three years. I explain she was irregular almost the entire time and just recently was granted legal status. She stated in no uncertain terms she would be eligible by the same process that I had completed. Proof of honest living would be her primary issue as I understand it. The clerk gave me the impression that even if her situation had not been regularized...she could have pursued it.

She intends to move forward (after her DNI arrives)....we'll see how it goes. She has all of the other requirements except the local police background check.

Please advise me where I can get finger prints taken suitable for the FBI Background Check. I'm in Buenos Aires working on residency (married to an AR)

Hi everyone,

I have submitted all my paperwork for citizenship to the courts in Cordoba, and am officially in their online system.

I have some questions that maybe those with more experience know the answer to.

1. Recently my DNI expired, and they just increased the income requirement from 8.000/month to 30.000/month and I don't have an interest in continuing with the DNI process since my citizenship case is in process. My DNI expired when I was out of the country for a month and they told me I had to start all over again on top of it. So is it reasonable to continue my case without an active DNI?

2. The problem with not having an active DNI is that the bank closed my bank account. So now I am unclear about how I show my mode of life here officially? I have a contract from the US showing consistent income promised to me, and before I was depositing it in my Argentine bank account but now I can't do that. Any advice about this?

3. I was advised by Veteran that it isn't a good idea to leave the country during this process, or at least until a later stage. Does anyone have any specifics about that? I have been living here 5 years but ironically now i have the desire to travel and I'm not clear on how to proceed. Would I be risking my case with no DNI and being outside the country at least before the home visit?

Do I need a lawyer for my situation?

It's reasonable to continue your case without an active DNI. In fact, I know a guy who got citizenship without ever having residency, and got his DNI on acceptance as a citizen.

As far as showing your mode of living, my friend didn't have a bank account (in fact, still doesn't) and was never paid here in the white. He had three people come before the judge's clerk (I was one fo them) who swore that he was a good guy, that he made a living doing what he did, and so on. It seems more of a formality than anything.

My friend was also advised by his lawyer, who helped him through the process, not to leave the country during the process. As to whether you need a lawyer - I'd say it's not a bad idea, but I know of people who did it totally on their own, although I believe they already had a valid DNI when doing it. For all I know, the fact that my friend who got citizenship without a DNI had no problems specifically because his lawyer filed the correct motions to get things done properly. Anything I've mentioned above is simply me telling you the experience of others, not necessarily the way things will be for you, as things are not always cut and dried and the same for one person to the next.

Back