Ciudadanía / Citizenship

I have sent my request to the FBI for my criminal back round check, the app read 35 days for a return, is that holding true? My main focus is to get my things out of customs . Shipping my house hold good to Argentina has been he biggest mistake any new comer could make, it will end up costing me far more to get my things into is country then it was to ship them here the government pirates are bleeding my pockets and have no mercy. I just hope that my things are there when I go to pick them up.....

That would be about right...it was about 30 days for mine when I did it for the permanent residency. I assume you need to do that Apostille as well. The FBI is supposed to be able to send it on to the State Dept if requested. Getting it back from the State Dept. was much quicker than the initial prints. Those two steps if getting the Apostille and having it returned to Argentina was additional 2 weeks for us...so about 50 days total.

I think that in practicality there's really not a big difference between permanent residency and citizenship. The obvious difference is the right to vote. Bajocero noted that having citizenship can keep you from getting deported, but I think if I was in a situation where I was about to be deported, I would likely be quite pleased to leave this country. Also, I think you can go to some European countries without a visa that you would have to get with a U.S. passport. Or you can go to Cuba with the Argentine passport. Also, you wouldn't have to pay reciprocity fees when traveling throughout S. America.

Other than that, I don't see the benefit of going through a complicated process in order to get yet another piece of paper. I'm happy with my permanent residency.

You make a good point. However, I do think there are some benefits, at least to some people. To avoid hijacking this thread, I've started a new thread to discuss this, here:
http://baexpats.org/topic/29477-benefits-of-argentine-citizenship-vs-permanent-residency/

Re: TESTIGOS

Mine were two Argentine friends. They couldn't tell you my parents' names, my birthdate, exactly how many siblings I have, or exactly how long I'd been in Argentina. Whether I prefer Campari or Fernet, which fútbol club I support, what I studied in college (university), or if I eat achuras.

At least one knew that I "know mate", can ride a horse, am NOT a vegetarian, and have dated an Argentine.

Your testigos don't have to know your testiculos.

Napoleon - did you get your citizenship? I missed that - congrats!

Have my oath on Oct 28th, did my DNI trámites in early November, then my DNI arrived at my apartment (while I was in the US in late Nov), and then picked up my DNI in early December only to find out that I'd been a citizen since July 30th. (That was a surprise.)

Have my passport and can go to the Wotld Cup without a visa.

Bite me reciprocal fee!

Have my oath on Oct 28th, did my DNI trámites in early November, then my DNI arrived at my apartment (while I was in the US in late Nov), and then picked up my DNI in early December only to find out that I'd been a citizen since July 30th. (That was a surprise.)

Congrats. Welcome to the club!

My wife and I are at the next phase in the process of the obtaining our cartas. Her testigos (witnesses) must present themselves March 27th (although they advised that we can request another date if that's problematic). She has a different juzgado/court than I here in Córdoba.

Does anyone have any feedback on what the testigos should be prepared to answer/provide? Our testigos are friends, but they may not know every little detail of our lives. It would be nice to prepare them a bit.

So my wife had her testigo appointment yesterday at 11am. Our friends were in and out in about 30-40 minutes. They just made their statements, signed them and had it stamped. The clerk provided them each a copy...they in turn gave it to us so we could see all the nice things they said about her. Main questions. How long have you known her, is she good people, good parent, can she support herself financially and they made a detailed statement of any other thoughts/feelings.

We were told that we could expect a call and a visit from the federal police to our residence to confirm we live there in as soon as a month.

I was a little surprised to learn the fingerprints that we sent off are still not processed in BA. It sounds like they are delayed from the juzgado and then delayed the additional 30-60 days from there. I confirmed this to be the case with my court/juzgado and my friend did the same for my wife's situation. Anyone know whether that can be expedited? Hoping not to having them rejected/lost in BsAs only to redo...thus delaying the whole process...

I have considered bringing on an attorney to ensure the paper is pushed as fast as it can be. They are telling us that we're still on track to be done in 6 to 12 months, but I don't want to wait it out to find that they've held up our process for some reason. Just to note again. We're parents to an Argentine and have our permanent residency. In theory, a relatively straight forward process.

The main two reasons holding up getting an attorney. 1. I have successfully navigated every tramite myself since arriving in South America 5 years ago...so there's some pride in doing it successfully myself. 2. I want to ensure I have an attorney that will actually help move the process along. Thoughts?

Have my passport and can go to the Wotld Cup without a visa.

Bite me reciprocal fee!

*Retaliation fee.

Back