clamping down on perma-tourists

leavingba - absolutely agree with you on the visa thing. However, many "perma-tourists" wouldn't qualify for a visa. It will have interesting repercussions if they do in fact restrict access. Apartment rentals will go down (in a market that's already hurting), dollars that those perma-tourists spend will be gone, fares on boquebus & the tourism industry in Colonia will certainly be affected, etc. Of course Argentina doesn't need perma-tourists but there are a lot of industries that have made a pretty penny on them over the years.

Again, I completely agree that getting a visa for long-term if you're here long-term makes sense. No arguments. But my point is that (AFAIK), perma-tourists haven't been breaking the law. And it's an interesting conundrum if there is no law - how do you enforce it?

citygirl said:
leavingba - absolutely agree with you on the visa thing. However, many "perma-tourists" wouldn't qualify for a visa. It will have interesting repercussions if they do in fact restrict access. Apartment rentals will go down (in a market that's already hurting), dollars that those perma-tourists spend will be gone, fares on boque bues & the tourism industry in Colonia will certainly be affected, etc. Of course Argentina doesn't need perma-tourists but there are a lot of industries that have made a pretty penny on them over the years.

I can hardly wait to see the piqueteros marching down Antardida from the port of the boque bus to the office of migraciones in support of the perma-tourists.

Steve - please note that I did specify that Argentina doesn't "need" the perma-tourists. But I do think it's naive to say that if they leave, there will be no financial impact, especially in an environment that is already bad for tourism (global recession, high tix prices to Argentina, new reciprocity fee, etc, etc.) How big an impact, I have no idea.

Again - I have ZERO problem with enforcing a law and of course I believe that as expats/tourists/whatever, it is your obligation to follow the laws of the country in which you are located.

I just think that there needs to be a law to enforce. And again, perhaps there is but I have yet to see it or read it.

As I previously posted, there is a difference between law and policy and the law may allow migraciones to make (and enforce) policy.

Immigration authorities in most countries have some discretion in applying and enforcing the laws.

Please don't forget what country we are talking about and how the "rule of law" has a "spotty" history in Argentina, to say the least.

I just hope Lee will start a class action lawsuit if he is denied reentry in the future (or told to leave in five days).

Do they have those here?

Has anyone ever sued the Aduana after paying bribes to get their "stuff" into the country?

Does that help make my point?

tangobob said:
I would be very surprised if they stopped this practice of going to Uruguay, last time I went most of the people on The Buquibus were renewing their visas. It has become not only a source of income for both countries, but also an employer for many.

I have been reading about this issue on an expat blog that linked to the thread. I'm on a tourist visa. I will be due to renew in two months with another trip to Colonia. And I am worried what the hell I should do now having been pointed to this thread. It sounds from the comments over the past month that people are being told to effectively leave the country now. This hasn't really happened for 10 years. "LeavingBA" being refused any extension to an earlier visa and being harassed at the Buquebus terminal in Uruguay is of grave concern. It seems like he/she had to negotiate just to be allowed to re-enter Argentina to collect their belongings?

So what do we do now? I will probably wait it out a month or so and see if anyone else posts experiences. My tourist visa is due to expire towards the end of March. Right now I'm learning towards leaving the country at that point. It doesn't sound like it will be easy to get a second stamp after renewing once already end of December. I'm not from the USA but I doubt officials are targeting 'yankees' anyway.

arichie said:
I "LeavingBA" being refused any extension to an earlier visa and being harassed at the Buquebus terminal in Uruguay is of grave concern. It seems like he/she had to negotiate just to be allowed to re-enter Argentina to collect their belongings?

LeavingBA wasn't harassed, he/she was told to leave.

There is a difference.

Just ask arty.

This thing has all the makings of tit for tat: reciprocity policy.

US Policy:
"The 90 days also includes any time spent in Canada, Mexico and adjacent islands. Therefore, you cannot cross the border into these areas and then return for another 90 days."

Would imagine the reciprocity legislation gave Immigration broad powers. They sure as hell did not need any special law to implement an entry fee.

Perhaps tourists in Argentina should consider themselves fortunate that they can still get an extra 90 days just by asking for it at the prorrogas de permanencia...and paying $300 pesos.

dennisr said:
Would imagine the reciprocity legislation gave Immigration broad powers. They sure as hell did not need any special law to implement an entry fee.

Badaboombadabing!

steveinbsas said:
LeavingBA wasn't harassed, he/she was told to leave.

There is a difference.

Just ask arty.

are we getting back into the hassled/harassed thing again, lol.

Back