clamping down on perma-tourists

Despite our tangents on Lee's allegedly sexy tattoo ;) and mullets (which I do despise!), I have yet to see anyone provide any documentation stating 180 days.

If there is nothing on the books, then perma-tourists are NOT in violation of the laws (providing they aren't over-staying their 90 days) and in fact, there is nothing that migraciones can do/say.

Eventually the rules and laws will be modified and it will all be cleared up. In all honesty if I was an expat here, I would rather have very explicit laws that these that are so vague as you are besically at the mercy of some Migraciones officer.

Guys/Girls,

I found this page in Google after searching my problems.

I just wanted to confirm what others have been saying. I have been told my visa will not be extended at the terminal in Uruguay this morning. I only have one stamp from a trip 85 days ago to Colonia. The officer said he is not authorised to extend my current visa and I have been told I have to leave the country: it is forbidden to live here on a tourist visa and we are only allowed one extension by law.

I had to sign some document promising to leave in 5 days before I could board the ferry. I had to give my address in Argentina (that was somehow verified after a 20 minute wait) and my passport number was taken. I was also warned my passport number was now entered into a database and I would have serious problems if I tried to exit the country beyond my current visa.

I am sad that my time in Buenos Aires will be ended. But all good things come to an end. And I respect Argentina and its laws. If I am no longer welcome, then I don't want to be here anyway.

Please be careful folks!!!

Leavingba - on what basis did the official tell you that? Did he reference a specific law? I'm really sorry to hear about your experience:(

Lee said:
Honestly lets be real OK?

Those of us who are in that tiny and let me add tiny group of wealthy individuals that can have the status of "perma-tourists" should hardly be an issue or even a passing thought for the government of Argentina.

OK, let's be real.

There is a specific (and legal) visa for those who are "wealthy" enough to stay in Argentina year round. It is the visa "rentista" and you only have to show a stable foreign income of $2700 pesos per month to get it. That's less than $750 U$D per month!

From Lee's previous posts we know he is spending much more than that, but he obviously doesn't want to go to the trouble of apply for or getting the visa. Sorry, but "perma-tourist" is not recognized as a legal category by migraciones and it looks like they are not going to tolerate it much longer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at migraciones are aware of this website or if recent post's like Lee's (among many others) have added fuel to the fire, resulting in the "final" decision" to stop permitting multiple entries (see the post from "leavingBA earlier today).

Lee said:
Abusing the system...really...who the fuck tells me how long my vacation can be...perhaps instead of 2 weeks like the common folks I actually can talk a 3 year vacation.

Your vacation can be as long as you like, but Argentine migraciones obviously reserves the right to tell you how much of it can be in their country.

Perhaps they have grown tired of the arrogant Americans.

citygirl said:
Leavingba - on what basis did the official tell you that? Did he reference a specific law? I'm really sorry to hear about your experience:(

My Spanish isn't perfect so it was hard to get into technical questions. That said, I wouldn't get into a debate over laws with a border official in any country regardless of language barrier.

His colleague at the visa check desk mumbled words to the effect 'it is going to be another long day handling these papers' so I think I wasn't the first (or likely expected last). The queues were very long too. Much longer than the last time I was in the terminal.

Please don't feel sorry for me. I always knew this could happen. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to spend six months here. I am on a temporary tourist vista, and I know the country has every right to refuse to renew it indefinitely.

Absolutely - I'm more just curious as no one has yet been able to point out a law stating that 6 months is the maximum allowed, hence I'm trying to understand how they can deny you re-entry (again, especially since it is a new calendar year - even if it was 6 months per year, you should have started the clock over again on Jan 1).

Wishing you the best on all your future journeys!

citygirl said:
Absolutely - I'm more just curious as no one has yet been able to point out a law stating that 6 months is the maximum allowed, hence I'm trying to understand how they can deny you re-entry (again, especially since it is a new calendar year - even if it was 6 months per year, you should have started the clock over again on Jan 1).

Citygirl, I don't think the "calendar year" is relevant. I think the "immigration year" would start on the day of entry into Argentina for each individual.

citygirl said:

Wishing you the best on all your future journeys!

I am sure steveinbsas is correct in regards to the point you make about the calendar year. If he and I are both wrong, I have just made a very expensive error in paying a HUGE fee to my airline to change my flight booking.

Lee and others:

My take is simple. We are granted limited 90 day tourist visas for a reason. If the country wanted certain groups to be permitted to say far longer than 90 days, they would grant us such a visa upon entry into the country. I'm sure Argentine law must cover enforcement of the tourist visa entry conditions.

We are currently granted a one-time extension of our tourist visa as a courtesy. If you are permitted to stay much longer than 180 days then you should consider yourself lucky to have benefited from relaxed enforcement.

If the government has now told its border officials to toughen up and enforce the stated limits, then we must accept it. No Argentine would be able to successfully argue for repeated extensions of their tourist visas in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand etc. We should respectfully expect the same.

Back