clamping down on perma-tourists

Okay, sorry to revive this topic, especially for my fellow "legals"...

....but, I have a frantic friend ( I will not say what sex or color or religion or foreign nationality, as it is truly irrelevant).

He/She, who lives neither in Greater BA nor Mendoza, has been doing the tourist visa run thingy for 3 years at a certain Chile crossing. He/She had always renewed within the 90 days and never had any problems..until he/she miscalculated and crossed a few days late on his/her last run. He/She not only had to pay the expected 300 pesos, but also had to sign a document:confused: (He/She did not look at the document, He/She was rattled) , but that seems like a new wrinkle. They told him/her "you have 90 days to leave Argentina". Without further incident, He/She stamped out of Argentina, stamped into Chile, and on return from Chile stamped out of Chile and into Argentina again. No notations or extra stamps were put in the passport. I was not there, so am only going by what He/She says.

He/She wants to stay here in Argentina as he/she has a life here, and eventually wants to become "legal". However, He/She is exploring, the possibility, rather late, of trying to get a 90 day extension within the next few weeks at the local Migraciónes.

I suggested that He/She just try another visa run within the next few weeks, before the 90 day current period is up, possibly through BA-Colonia route, or another crossing where he/she is not familiar. He/She is worried that she is on some "computer watch", and will not be allowed to leave (which is not logical) or not be allowed to enter. I told him/her from what I know from experiences related here and elsewhere that it was probably just a "rattle" that sometimes happens, but I also said that this is always an unpredictable situation, and nothing can be sure. I said that I would try to find out what I could.

This is not a close friend, just another soul who one tries to help, so I do not have a lot invested here. I am certainly not going to accompany him/her to the border for whatever reason. Perhaps if he/she gets so rattled, the expat visarun life is not appropriate for him/her.

Given recent developments and experiences:

1. Is a 90 day extension at Migraciónes realistic in this situation?

2. Has anyone been confronted with the signing a document situation He/She described? It may have just been a receipt of some sort. it might of been nothing.

3. Anyone has any tangible experience of a "computer watch"?

4. Anyone who has recently done a visa run wish to share any insights, developments or suggestions?

I hope this does not dredge up another debate on the ethics of "permatourists" or reciprocity or whatever ( I recognize that they are valid, and people have a right to say whatever here), but I would appreciate it if helpful comments on these specific points could be made over the next few days.

Probably not helpful to you mendozanow, but it should be remembered we are dealing with humans here and if one happens to be having a bad day, is passionate about the malvinas or even saw his team get thumped the evening before, some unexpected behaviour might emerge.

There have been a few odd tales like this, enough for us to realise this is something that is happening - yet 99% of us carry on doing the colonia run (or elsewhere) with impunity. It's that inconsistency that is difficult to figure out and I think that the human factor may be something to take into consideration.

Thanks esllou,

I said something similiar to him/her, so I can show him/her your post for further proof I am not a totally-out-to-lunch canuck. :)

hmm, look this might be because of the Chile-Argentina border. The one time I traveled from Arg to Chile and back they gave some stamps, which I somehow lost in a fjord. When trying to get back, only after a week in Southern Chile, I was kept by the Chilean Migraciones for 8 hours in the middle of Nowhere. I lost my plane from Calafate and I had to bribe an Argentine (Chileans are unbribable) to get out. Not the same situation of course, but I believe it might have something to do with crossing that particular border.

I've been doing the same thing as your friend...but for longer (I started this thread).
To cut a long, boring story short, I was denied a renewal at immigrations in November, decided to await documentation to get a work visa... boss didn't get it sorted out on time and I had to leave the country to come back to the UK (where I am now!) for family reasons two months later (with expired tourist visa).
Obviously, I don't have any guarantee that they'll let me back in...but they let me out with just some stern looks and a lot of huffing/puffing/what on earth are you doing here's. I'll be trying to get back in within the next two weeks. If anyone is on a computer black list, it's me...so I'll let you know.
I wonder how your friend is planning to get a permanent visa? Given the hassle long-termers are getting at the borders, maybe it would just be better worth his/her while to lie low and not bother with the 90-day renewals while he/she get's her papers together - they're not strictly "legal" anyway and a foreigner can apply for a work/spouse/whatever visa with an expired tourist visa.

mendozanow said:
....but, I have a frantic friend ( I will not say what sex or color or religion or foreign nationality, as it is truly irrelevant).

He/She is worried that she is on some "computer watch",

Was that a slip-up or is it a Red herring?

using 'they' may have made it easier....

I was thinking of "it", but it might have been viewed politically incorrect. :)

Anyhew...good luck Ashley, n'keep us posted as to what happens to ya girl/boy!

mendozanow said:
He/She, who lives neither in Greater BA nor Mendoza, has been doing the tourist visa run thingy for 3 years at a certain Chile crossing. He/She had always renewed within the 90 days and never had any problems..until he/she miscalculated and crossed a few days late on his/her last run. He/She not only had to pay the expected 300 pesos, but also had to sign a document
I have been late on a visa-run, paid the AR$ 300 and signed a document.

The document simply states that you have paid AR$ 300 - probably to ensure that you are not charged 400 or 500 by a thrifty border police - and nothing else.

Have crossed twice since w/o problems.

Back