clamping down on perma-tourists

citygirl said:
Nov '09 - IMPENDING CRACKDOWN ON PERMATOURISTS!!!111!!
Sept '12 - Nothing has changed and permatourists happily continue on their way.

After 3 years, I think we can safely assume it was perhaps much ado about nothing.....
And yet soon somebody will still start a new thread about it anyway!

Towncryr said:
Maybe they want people on tourist visa's to seek residency so they are on the radar screen, then they can start collecting taxes from them? After all the government seems very short on cash

Right on the head of the nail.....

In fact back in 2003/2004, they had launched a massive regularization process for all "illegals", with no conditions required. Could occur again.

surfing said:
And yet soon somebody will still start a new thread about it anyway!

And then there will be some "friend of a friend of a friend" was denied entry, stories, some dire warnings about going to Colonia and some legal recommendations to seek citizenship.

It's nothing if not predictable! :)

Urgent! Urgent! Urgent! Red lights flashing! Lots of noise!!!

Yes, every 6 months we can count on people trying to scare permatourists with these ridiculous postings. If I wanted to live in a state of constant fear-mongering, I'd return to the USA. Nothing is going to happen. Of the THOUSANDS of people crossing on any given day, we're putting so much energy into something indefinite that was said to ONE person? I'm no statistician but would seem to me that those that are so concerned about this would be the ones who either buy lottery tickets everyday (and think they have a real chance) or need to justify all the time, effort and money they already invested pursuing residency and/or citizenship in this country.

So, a few weeks ago I LOST :eek: my "precaria" or temporary residency papers. Well, I've been going in and out of the country several times since the loss without any issues whatsoever. When arriving or leaving thru Ezeiza the immigration officer asks for my "precaria" and my response is always the same: "I've lost it". They sigh, shake their heads, stamp my passport and say "adelante". That is it. There is no crackdown.

French jurist said:
In fact back in 2003/2004, they had launched a massive regularization process for all "illegals", with no conditions required. Could occur again.

First, since I know there are SO many overly sensitive people here, first I am going to say THIS IS NOT an attack on anybody. However there is no such thing as an "illegal" person in Argentina. A person can have an "irregular" immigration status, however that is NOT illegal, it's an infraction for which there is absolutely no sanction. It may be disadvantageous to the person with "irregular" immigration status, as they won't be able to obtain employment in blanco, a DNI, CUIT or CUIL. However nobody, not the police, gendarmería, or anybody else can detain you, arrest you, or do anything at all to you simply for not having a "regular" immigration status. It's one of the great advantages to this country. Open arms to all who want to be here, if you can make it and survive, you decide whether to stay or not. Nobody will force you to leave, ever.

camberiu said:
So, a few weeks ago I LOST :eek: my "precaria" or temporary residency papers. Well, I've been going in and out of the country several times since the loss without any issues whatsoever. When arriving or leaving thru Ezeiza the immigration officer asks for my "precaria" and my response is always the same: "I've lost it". They sigh, shake their heads, stamp my passport and say "adelante". That is it. There is no crackdown.

Even if there was a crackdown you wouldn't have anything to worry about. Your precaria for temporary residency is in the system and the migraciones agents can see your status when they scan your passport.

Hello people,

with respect to the permatourist issue. I've searched through various threads trying to answer a specific question but no dice..

my question is: is there a limit of how many times you can "overstay" the 90 days and pay the fine? any actual regulation in place? i've heard rumours from friends who have been told they're in trouble because they've already violated 3 times...

myself i think i'm on #4, i don't quite remember. they sort of wag their finger at me each time but nothing ever happens.

Dr. Rubilar, might you have any information on this?

Davidglen77 said:
First, since I know there are SO many overly sensitive people here, first I am going to say THIS IS NOT an attack on anybody. However there is no such thing as an "illegal" person in Argentina. A person can have an "irregular" immigration status, however that is NOT illegal, it's an infraction for which there is absolutely no sanction. It may be disadvantageous to the person with "irregular" immigration status, as they won't be able to obtain employment in blanco, a DNI, CUIT or CUIL. However nobody, not the police, gendarmería, or anybody else can detain you, arrest you, or do anything at all to you simply for not having a "regular" immigration status. It's one of the great advantages to this country. Open arms to all who want to be here, if you can make it and survive, you decide whether to stay or not. Nobody will force you to leave, ever.

That's why I used the quotes David (didn't read this thread again before)

marquitos said:
my question is: is there a limit of how many times you can "overstay" the 90 days and pay the fine? any actual regulation in place? i've heard rumours from friends who have been told they're in trouble because they've already violated 3 times...

anything can change depending on the mood of the person you are dealing with, but so far there is no limit. still "pay the fine and you be fine..."
friends recently left/entered again after overstaying way more than 3-4 times without issues.

Back