clamping down on perma-tourists

ReemsterCARP said:
Some feel that, because they're spending loads of money there, the Argentine government shouldn't complain about them breaking the law. That's very arrogant and disrespectful towards Argentine law.

While it may be true that the "perma-tourists" spend money and also pay the IVA (but only when they buy/pay for something and a factura is generated), I think that the Argentine governement, specifically migraciones has a different point of view.

If the "perma-tourists" are now being "given a hard time" when leaving and reentering the country the same day with the obvious intention of getting a new 90 day stamp, it is only logical that migraciones assumes that they are working here (without a work visa) and not paying taxes on that income.

ashley, and anyone else with lots of stamps in their passport...

has anybody thought of simply "losing" their passport and getting a fresh clean one from the embassy with zero stamps of overstaying their tourist visa?

redrum said:
has anybody thought of simply "losing" their passport and getting a fresh clean one from the embassy with zero stamps of overstaying their tourist visa?

Having two passports a help wit entering and reentering Argentina

It might be an advantage for those with passports from two different countries, but for those using a "new" passport from the same country, the database of migraciones will probably "match" them with all of their previous entries and exits.

redrum said:
ashley, and anyone else with lots of stamps in their passport...

lots of people have thought of this and suggested it in other threads.

it does not work

when you enter the country you will see that they look throught your passport, but they are not looking at how many stamps you have, they are looking to see if you have any denied entry stamps, as this is something they would have to investigate further.

to check how many times you have entered the country they put your name and date of birth into the computer and this gives them all the information they want. so even if you have no stamps in your passport, even if you have dual nationality and alternate passports....they know.

they are not stupid

I would be curious to know how many people from the U.S., Canada, Australia, and the European countries actually work en negro here? The vast majority I've met either work via the internet or actually have a work visa here. Who actually survives here by teaching English?

Thoughts on this? Does anyone know of any data that exist? I imagine collecting this information would be nearly impossible, but I guess it doesn't hurt to wonder.

bradlyhale said:
I would be curious to know how many people from the U.S., Canada, Australia, and the European countries actually work en negro here? The vast majority I've met either work via the internet or actually have a work visa here. Who actually survives here by teaching English?

Thoughts on this? Does anyone know of any data that exist?

Working on the internet while here on a tourist visa isn't illegal, but living here indefinitely by repeatedly "renewing" a tourist visa may not be tolerated much longer.

objectiveous said:
Equating overstaying a visa with, say institutional corruption or laws preventing murder and theft, is odd, to say the least.

All laws are not equal.

It´s not so much the content of the laws that matter, (because I'm comparing a misdemeanor with a fellony) but it's the train of thought that counts. Some people think that - because of reason x or y - the law doesn't apply to them.

Lee said:
I am confused about something...if there is no actual law that limits the time one my spend as a tourist in Argentina then how can they enforce a law that doesn't exist?

Are you serious?

Don't you know where you are?

Laws that don't exist?

What the hell are you talking about, Yankee?

Back