Collecting Mail From The Us In Retiro

Serafina my guess is that it's the checkbook cover and checks that is temporarily causing this to be treated more like a package than just documents (letter). The checkbook is a "thing" to AFIP and Adouanes, and therefore something they would like to try and get some money out of, I think if you had been sent your mail seperate from the checkbook it might have gone straight to you. Just my guess. But I have recently received fed ex documents (only) and a bank card, delivered straight to my apt., no problem. Just had to sign for it.

I'll go teach them some Italian ways to deal with this shit.

Of course, this is silly, and an unfortunate part of living in Argentina- but- "italian ways"?
I have been visiting Italy since 1968, and Italy has many bizarre and byzantine rules that still make no sense to me. It may well be easier to get mail there- but plenty of things in Italy are still inexplicably hard, or, sometimes, impossible.

Just declare a value of zero and argue with them when you get there.
You'll feel better.

I would go ahead and fill out the form if possible. If you can't, then go to the post office and let them know - but chances are they're going to be difficult and require that you have the paperwork. Declare $0 - it's personal documents.

40 pesos isn't even the worst part.... <_< Bring a book.... 3+ hour waits aren't uncommon.

The mail system is so bad here I have forbidden my family to send anything.

So, everything went okay and the personnel was very nice, despite the kafkian system.
At the main gate there was a man checking my aviso and passport, asked if I had a DNI (not yet) and the form 4550 (I did, but it was not filled because I didn't knew what write in that) and pointed me my door. At the door there was another security man, wanted to see my aviso, told me to fill in the back of the aviso, sent me to a sort of receptionist right on the right. The guy stamped my aviso, circled the ARS 40 text, told me to form the line to pay. Line was long, only one cashier open. Anyway 20 mins and I paid my ARS40. Was given a number and was told to sit and wait for my number to show up on the Screen. I asked the lady if I had to fill form 4550 even for personal correspondence and she said she was from Correo and not Aduana, to deal with Aduana directly.

When it was my turn I queued again to enter the AFIP desk, gave my number to the guy, he took my shipping back and showed me to his desk. He asked what was in it and I said "Cartas del banco", he said he was going to open it and I said "PLEASE!" Shuffled through the letters very briefly, then took the smal box with the checks, asked again what was in it, I replied again "Cartas del banco". Asked/said again he was going to open it, I said again PLEASE. SHuffled and glanced inside. He said I could go. He didn't asked for form 4550 and I didn't show. I signed to exit and that was all.

Note: I was accompanied by my husband but they said only one person could enter the building, so the good man waited outside in the sun for 2 hours.
If that isn't love....

Note 2: other people who ordered stuff from abroad had to bring a copy of their order with the amount paid, plus had to pay 50% in taxes. Some people had DNI and paid hat amount in AFIP website beforehand. I don't know what happens if you don't have a DNI, there was a sign saying to pay at Banco de la Nacion the 50%.

Ditto!

I wanted to thanks forum members anyway, without the printout of Form 4550 they wouldn't let me in, even if I didn't need it.
The security guys have instruction to check that.

good luck y'all. I spent a couple of months in Malaysia and sent me three boxes...well, I got everything transparent and tracked from Malaysia HOWEVER the Argentine post decided not to send me a notice and they mail all my stuff back!! WTH!!!! I have no way of getting it back...lost in "postage space"....nobody here takes responsibility for stuff....their argument was "it was too crowded and we had to send some things back "...600 bucks worth of mailing BACK? AVOID sending yourselves stuff it at all costs! make someone bring you stuff, even if you have to pay tons....learned my lesson painfully because I lost everything:-((((((( It was not like that before

Oh BTW< four hours in Retiro waiting for your package is the rule. I was there three weeks ago and they informed me, besides the fact that storage was too crowded to keep my Malaysian posts, that I cant even receive brochures for work....

freedom of what? :angry:

We asked all of our friends, banks, business partners, etc. to stop sending us mail to Argentina years ago. All of our mail , until we did this, arrived opened, except for a few post cards.

Only once did we send a package, small present to our grandson in the USA. , and it never arrived.
We have never used the postal system here in the last 15 years. Lost all confidence.

I received my credit card from abroad via DHL without a problem yesterday ( arrived within 3 days).

Arrived at my door step!

Back