Colonia Run Early May 2014

...Seems a lot of the threads about things like this quickly become arguments about the 'best way' to go to X or if you should even go do the Colonia run or not and not really much info to help us poor noobs do simple stuff like find the boat and buy a ticket...

Everything you need to know about finding the boat and getting a ticket: Buquebus in Puerto Madero. I don't know if you'll be able to use a foreign credit/debit card to buy tickets online (kind of doubt it) but you can visit and buy tickets. I know where it is, in fact I used to live about 6 blocks from there on the other side of Libertador/Alem, but if you don't know how to get there, that's not much help. Just hop in a cab and say "Buquebus (boo-k-boos) en Puerto Madero por favor" (but don't forget to say "buen dia" or "buena tarde" first so you don't get the cabbie irritated with you - have some manners foreigner! :) ) and the cab will deliver you right to the front gates. Inside is like a terminal and you can buy tickets there. Take the fastest boat and get expensive seats, in my opinion. They have numerous boats leaving and returning every day. If you time it right, you can leave early and come back late. An hour's journey and you're in Uruguay. Another 10-14 minutes walking and you're in the center of Colonia.

Once you're there: https://www.google.c...805b8023fcf8708

Look at the south side of the coast, to the east of of the peninsula and you can see "Puerto Buquebus" right at the end of Avendia Franklin D Roosevelt, which road will bring you right into the heart of Colonia. A little Googling (see next paragraph) for banks and you should be able to figure out where to go, at least at first.

I don't know if you'll find a PO Box like we think of the concept here. Probably have something, I'd think most likely at a bank. Or you could create a corporation and pay an accountant (accountants do that sort of thing there) for a mailing address but the latter is pretty expensive, I'd imagine, at least to set up the corporation (kind of a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, although I've been looking into it for reasons beyond a mailing address). I found a list of banks online with a searcfh: "bancos sucursales colonia uruguay" and most of them have "cajas de seguridad" which are safe deposit boxes but not what you're looking for. A search for "cajas postales" didn't turn up anything, but likely I just don't know the Spanish word or phrase for PO Box. Almost seems like I've seen something like that around Florida and/or Lavalle here, so maybe there is some hope and they aren't at banks.

Whatever you find, I doubt it's going to be cheap. The average citizen here or in Uruguay, I think, doesn't look for PO Boxes. Not much need for it in their lives. Not much competition, wealthier people may have a need for something like that, maybe not real cheap. Or, the rich use their accountants to set up things for them. I also would be surprised if a foreigner can just pop in and open one up, but I could be wrong.

I remember when I was a "noob" and thought I had to make a visa run every three months; I sure wish someone had been around at that point to tell us it was foolish and a waste of time to do so. At that time it was "common knowledge" that you had to do it. It took something like three years for me before I figured it out through my immigration attorney, but I already had my Precaria so it was too late for me to benefit from it. I started realizing that maybe I ought to seek out and listen to those who know something about living here.

I've found that there are a lot of things that one would like to make better here with some simple concepts. I'd love to be able to get maple syrup and chili powder and Ziplock bags by the hundreds, and shirts and shorts and...(well, stop it Cheese) down any time I want, but the truth is after a while I've made contacts with various people whom I know personally and who will bring things down for me when they come. I plan ahead and usually can maintain a stock of critical items in that fashion, rather than worry about going out of the country to get things shipped to me, paying for the address in that other country, paying for a boat ride (which is OK a couple of times, but Colonia, at least to me, wasn't much good for 3-4 trips as a special destination and became rather boring after awhile), spending the time to go there and back, etc. I suppose it would be different if there were a real need to go over there fairly often, but there isn't for most people.

I find that the best thing is to learn to live the best you can with what you have and can find right here, for the most part.

I've never heard of anyone doing what you're trying to do (least-wise, it didn't stick in my mind if I have), and if it works out more power to you. But my advice is to figure out how to get along without having things sent to you until you can figure out how to either receive packages here (not impossible, a couple of threads talk about it, and yes, there is some risk - but so there is as well in having an address in Colonia and crossing the border to get packages, etc.) and/or find people up there to bring things down to you when they come.

Take it from me - I can't believe it will all turn out to have been easy, even if you happen to go over there, find a PO Box place right off the bat, get a number rented and make it back all in one day. Over time it will complicate your life (in ways I can't even see right now), to questionable benefit.

But good luck to you.

The PO box thing interests me too since correo robbed me.

I wonder if we could get a baexpats box where whover is running to Colonial for precious dolares
can bring back our letters, peanut butter, kale, Dr. Pepper, fake iPhone cables and Joe's New iPad Air
(fitting that in a condom is half the fun, the other part, well, you can use your imagination).

All joking aside I'd seriously prefer to give Pepe the dollars than La Diabla, especially when they stole
my stuff and pretend it's in process of clasification 5 months after arriving.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some decent clues at least on the find my way to Colonia part elqueso.
It does seem as if everyone has very different opinions on the right way to do things or the best way or whatever. If thats trips for visa stamps or what to eat or politics. We all take our best shot at what works for us based on our own personal factors.
I have not so far come to any conclusion about the visa stamps issue but having some certainty that letters and packages might actually arrive and not wind up 'lost' appeals if it is possible. Certainly the 'just do without' is fine if we are talking a jar of peanut butter, not so much if it is an atm card.
Have someone bring it ... well I guess if you know a lot of people travelling from the parts of the world you need stuff from.

...Certainly the 'just do without' is fine if we are talking a jar of peanut butter, not so much if it is an atm card.
Have someone bring it ... well I guess if you know a lot of people travelling from the parts of the world you need stuff from.

You know, something just occurred to me when I read your response. I was under the assumption that you were looking for something to get things like care packages and such down here. Maybe you still are, but in addition if you want things like bank cards - maybe there is something else you could do as well.

I have an account at a place called USABox.com. It's a mail receiving place, located in Florida. There are probably other companies that do the same sort of thing. As far as I'm concerned anyone living outside of the country (this is assuming USA - probably similar things n other countries, I'd imagine) should have this.

It costs $20-$30 USD a month and you can have your mail forwarded there from wherever (fill out an official USPS form that routes your mail from your place of residence to the Box), plus you can use that as your mailing address (what I do since I don't have any residence in the US any more - it's listed on all my bank accounts, for example). Your mail comes in there and for the price of the monthly fee you get one free shipment via DHL per month, up to 4 pounds of weight (not necessarily calculated purely by weight but also by space.) Extra shipments per month are around the same amount.

Thing is, if you are trying to get correspondence, ATM cards and things like that down here, in the 8 years I've lived here I've never once had a package coming from them, that ONLY had correspondence-type mail (including my credit and debit cards) held up in Customs here. Not one time. And these packages that don't get held up come directly to your door. You don't have to go anywhere, unless you have no doorman and you weren't home when DHL came to deliver, but it doesn't go out to Ezeiza then either.

I did try to send some books I'd bought from Amazon, that I sent to my mailbox instead of having Amazon ship directly to my address here, and those did get held up. For 6 some years before that I had no problems with books, but Customs here in the last year + has really gotten bad with stuff like that.

As far as knowing people coming down - when I first came down here I knew one person - my ex-partner (well, he was my partner at the time) and we were both noobs here, but he went back to the States after we got going and I stayed here as managing partner. I met people over the first year and continued to do so until I had built up a pretty big support base. We all help each other out, and that's the same sort of thing that you probably need to do as well, if you're going to be down here for awhile. One thing you can count on here in SA is that you can't really count on things staying the same for any length of time and the people you meet to form mutual-support groups on things like getting luxuries down here can help mitigate that ever-changing field somewhat.

I actually do have a box like that in the states, mine is in Texas,
In other countries I have had some packages from them get to my door others went to customs. Never did manage to figure out any particular pattern for why. Never tried sending 'stuff' other than letters/papers that way.
The world around us is ever changing, all over. And it seems to be speeding up, or maybe thats just me getting old.

I actually do have a box like that in the states, mine is in Texas,
In other countries I have had some packages from them get to my door others went to customs. Never did manage to figure out any particular pattern for why. Never tried sending 'stuff' other than letters/papers that way.
The world around us is ever changing, all over. And it seems to be speeding up, or maybe thats just me getting old.

It ain't just you :)

Would be interested to find out too how to open PO Box at post office in Colonia (for bank statements purposes).

Oh no, I thought I had this figured out but clearly I did not.. If you go to Uruguay and get a care package delivered from the USA to your hotel you will have to go to immigrations and pay taxes to pick it up? Any additional information would be appreciated.

I've been looking at this site now for about 6 years. I have an apartment in SanTelmo for business/pleasure and live in California. This simple question by someone wanting information about a P.O. box in Uraguay seems like such a great and relative topic for this venue. I'd like to know how it works. I've never posted anything here before and I think it's because I don't understand Why is everyone so critical of each other????????

Welcome Calray. Your font is lovely but almost illegible as it appears. It would help if we could read your postings more easily. Thanks

Back