Colonia Run Early May 2014

Oh no, I thought I had this figured out but clearly I did not.. If you go to Uruguay and get a care package delivered from the USA to your hotel you will have to go to immigrations and pay taxes to pick it up? Any additional information would be appreciated.

Yeah, that's the other thing: you still have to deal with customs in Uruguay with the package coming in. I don't know anything about Uruguayan customs, but I'd be surprised if big packages coming in to the country weren't held up as well - it may be that they're much easier and cheaper to deal with, but there still has to be something. And now if you're here and having a package come in there, you're going to have to go to Uruguay to get it on a timely basis, unless you've already made a plan to be there when it comes in.

It all just seems like a lot of trouble for me for a relatively small payout. I can remember when I craved certain things - even clothes. Heh. It's part of the deal living here, dealing with these things, but I've found the easiest way is to just figure out how to get along without things you can't get here on a regular basis and when you do get things in, enjoy it while it lasts but don't obsess over what's not there :)

I've been looking at this site now for about 6 years. I have an apartment in SanTelmo for business/pleasure and live in California. This simple question by someone wanting information about a P.O. box in Uraguay seems like such a great and relative topic for this venue. I'd like to know how it works. I've never posted anything here before and I think it's because I don't understand Why is everyone so critical of each other????????

I have to admit, there are often a lot of critics and smart-asses on here, but I looked back through this thread and only saw Joe's smart-ass comment and one from someone else asking him to lay off. Seemed pretty tranquil to me, given how many of these turn out :)

However, I know one thing that frustrates me sometimes is when someone comes on and asks a question without any real information for us to understand what they are actually asking, or obviously are asking something that could be relatively easily searched - and by the question was obvious they hadn't gone to the trouble to look up the answer before they asked. Some people may think I write so much because I like to "see myself talk" (heh), but I do get frustrated after having written a long exposition somewhere and see someone asking the same thing a day or two later.

Do a search first, ask succinct questions, and there's nothing wrong at all with asking for clarifications on something you may have read previously and don't understand. If anyone comes back at you with stupidity (the other day a woman came on and asked a question about diet and was attacked by our resident ghost - pissed me off a bit) just ignore them (you can do it literally with forum tools, or try to not pay attention to that post because sometimes we may be just a little irritated that day or something) and try to find someone who made a valuable post - there are a lot of people with some good experience here.

Welcome Calray. Your font is lovely but almost illegible as it appears. It would help if we could read your postings more easily. Thanks

Yeah, that's MS Comic Sans, and it can be a bit tough to read. Here's a tip that may help - with Firefox, you can hold down the Ctrl key and use keypad plus and minus to zoom in and out.

Prices for electronics seem slightly higher in Uruguay so I'm guessing the tariffs are similar. If you send a beautiful iPad Air to Colonia are you going to need to pay a 100% tariff at the post office?

I have to admit, there are often a lot of critics and smart-asses on here, but I looked back through this thread and only saw Joe's smart-ass comment

[font=comic sans ms']I've never posted anything here before and I think it's because I don't understand Why is everyone so critical of each other????????[/font]

I think what Calray doesn't understand are members calling others "smart asses" for no apparent reason. Don't worry Calray, there are posters here that are name callers, but they are in the minority. Most of us try to stick to the issues and providing useful information and leave the name calling to others.

While it is entirely true that Uruguay post office and customs may be as bad as here, maybe even worse, if no one has actually tried it ....
I also find it a little annoying the basic assumption that wanting a more efficient and trust worthy method of getting things is assumed to be something like those 'electronics' you just can't live without. It could be a blanket your grandma knitted and you don't want lost, or maybe some important documents.
Now perhaps we could avoid some of this silliness by asking very clear questions and being very specific about the goals but really do I need to tell you what I want to have mailed to bring up the question of opening a po box across the river?
My bad for not being specific, your bad for making assumptions.

I also find it a little annoying the basic assumption that wanting a more efficient and trust worthy method of getting things is assumed to be something like those 'electronics' you just can't live without. It could be a blanket your grandma knitted and you don't want lost, or maybe some important documents.

Thank you. Some of us need things like medications for cancer that are not available here, and we don't have the luxury of travelling back and forth (I've been stuck 6 years and counting). When Fedex/ whoever just decided to steal mine because I wouldn't pay $150 or so more and getting some kind of permission from a government agency here (sender had paid all fees and taxes for door to door, already almost $150 USD on $60 USD of OTC medication), it set my health back by several months. This was after travelling all the way to Ezeiza - and waiting several hours - to get them, something we had expressly paid NOT to have to do.

It's really annoying when people get into the little competitions about things like this. Some of us have always had simple lives - yes, even when we lived in the US or in other countries. We didn't need to move here to learn this, or how to cook, or not have a TV, or to walk and bike everywhere, or whatever it is.

I've been very resourceful in managing my illness - I don't even have an obra social and do not rely on the public healthcare system - but some things simply have no local subsitute and (unrelated but also common) to say 'but healthcare is free there' is also to misunderstand the situation.

Back