Colonia Run Early May 2014

Chet

Registered
I don't actually need to do a run for some months yet but the idea of getting a P O Box there seems important.
Being very noob I have no clue about actually getting there much less where and how to rent a PO Box.
I would love to have 2 or more of us go together, give me a chance to learn the ropes but short of that some clear instructions would be great.
Seems a lot of the threads about things like this quickly become arguments about the 'best way' to go to X or if you should even go do the Colonia run or not and not really much info to help us poor noobs do simple stuff like find the boat and buy a ticket.
And then there is where to go in Colonia for a po box and how much it might cost and what paperwork might be needed.

Easy!!! Colonia is very smal (18-20,000 people).Once you leave the port building all you have to do is walking four blocks upcity, and you will be in Avenida Flores, the main drag. All the banks and public buildings are at walking range,( just ask, if you go alone).

Prices for electronics seem slightly higher in Uruguay so I'm guessing the tariffs are similar. If you send a beautiful iPad Air to Colonia are you going to need to pay a 100% tariff at the post office?

I am more concerned about getting the packages/letters than about what the tariff might be. Seems like the majority of problems described here with shipping stuff is that it never shows up, or shows up very late.

Joe, you're just as bad as ajoknoblauch. He hijacks every thread with Ayn puns. You just take Apple talk everywhere. Some of us are more concerned with other items. Not EVERYTHING is electronics. Besides living here teaches you to live simpler. Do you REALLY need the latest gadget, crApple or anything else?

Joe, you're just as bad as ajoknoblauch. He hijacks every thread with Ayn puns. You just take Apple talk everywhere. Some of us are more concerned with other items. Not EVERYTHING is electronics. Besides living here teaches you to live simpler. Do you REALLY need the latest gadget, crApple or anything else?

Word has gotten out that I'll be coming back to Argentina for a month in August. Not one person has asked me to bring back little Jimmy's birthday card or their favorite "nut butter." However, 3 people have already asked me to mule electronics and I haven't even bought my ticket yet.

Also, I think you missed the point. Uruguay has pretty steep import taxes, and not just on electronics. The main difference is that your item will probably arrive and whatever customs duties will probably be consistently levied - in pesos uruguayos.

This is an unfair criticism, highlighted by the fact that Red gave you a thumbs up on the post. I have had many threads on pizza where no Apple products were mentioned. And most of my polls have absolutely no mention of Apple products - including the new beautiful iPad Air!

Chet, why do you need to rent a PO Box in Colonia? Just to receive packages? It's very expensive to travel there and easier to pay someone to bring what you need to Buenos Aires. Or is it for immigration reasons?

Back