Common Attire

I live in Palermo and work in Micro centro and walk around the city everywhere and my opinion is that people wear here practically anything and everything. In our office (high tech company) you can see people in suits (men) and dresses (women) but also in jeans and t-shirts + flip flops. Same goes in the city, some people really dress smartly some look like they come from charity shop (maybe they do) and all between. So I dress just as I feel that day and even though I have short blond hair I've been taken as local many times, as long as I open my mouth.
If you come here for holiday what does it matter if locals can spot that you are foreigner? Is is no shame really.....

High tech companies, advertising agencies etc. do not have dress codes. Law firms and other more traditional companies are more conservative. There is no shame in being a tourist, as you say. The person who started the thread wants to avoid being pegged as a tourist, however. That's why he asked the question. That's his decision.

Don't want to look like a foreigner? Do not, do NOT wear footwear like Tevas. I met up with one of my sister's co-worker's when she was down here for a visit. She didn't even have to tell me what she looked like -- when I saw a woman coming along the street in casual hiking shorts (versus tailored ones), a backpack from MEC -- Mountain Equipment Co-op -- and a pair of tevas on her feet it was obvious she was not from here.

Don't wear Tevas! Don't wear hiking / active wear unless you're on your way to a yoga class or you're about to head to the airport to fly down south to do some hiking. Don't wear anything that comes from a shop like a Mountain Equipment Co-op when you're walking on the streets of BA (can't think of the equivalent in the States, but look it up and you'll see the type of stuff I'm talking about). If you're actually doing sports, that's fine. If you're doing anything else then active wear just isn't worn the way it is in a place like LA / San Francisco / Seattle / Vancouver etc.

There's a very good reason to not want to look like a foreigner in BA: to Avoid Becoming a Victim of Crime.

Yesterday I was at the corner of Viamonte and Carlos Pellegrini and spotted an elderly couple that I instantly knew to be from the USA...even before I heard them talking in English. They were elderly (undoubtedly over 70) and the man was wearing white athletic shoes, tan pants, and a floppy fly fisherman's hat (without the fly-hooks). A gigantic Nikon digital camera was dangling from his neck. The woman was wearing pants that fit just as you would expect and a hat obviously purchased far to the north. Their deeply wrinkled faces were painfully white in the blazing afternoon sun and they were looking at a map! As they began to walk in front of me I also could see that their steps were measured and deliberate as they avoided the broken sections of sidewalks. It looked like they had been dropped off by a tour bus and left to fend for themselves. They were the epitome of potential victims of street crime. They were headed toward Florida (with the traffic) on Viamonte): Perfect targets for a thief on a bicycle or moto.

Of course I stopped and talked to them and implored them to be careful. They were genuinely grateful for the advice and not at all resentful. Later in the day I found myself wondering about them and regretting I did not suggest they take a cab the five blocks to Florida...where, of course, they would have continued to be ideal targets (but somewhat less likely victims).

I think the original poster did not want to look like a Yanqui rather than not look like a foreigner.
Before someone jumps in and calls me anti American, let me explain. There is a feeling here that all Americans have too much money, from which they are easily parted. I never fully understood why those Americans on this site complain so much untill I bought a hat that made me look like a Yanqui. I could not belive how much extra I was being charged in the shops, I was suddenly seen as a target for every rip off that they could think of.
It is worth also avoiding bars and restaurants that proclaim "American Steaks" or "American Burgers" We tried one in Recoleta, took one look at the prices, and walked out in disgust.

I recommend:

DON'T MESS
WITH TEXAS

T-Shirts. They always go over well in foreign countries.

IMG_0476.jpg

CA2BA said:
What does a 20 something female where in BA?

Honest answer:

A thin, skin-tight, spaghetti stringed top and a skin-tight pair of jeans. (Often with a little elastic in them.) And Chuck Taylor Converse canvas shoes, or some knock off of said shoes.

Standard uniform for the 20 year old female in BsAs.

So as a dude, I am I going to stick out if I walk around in a long sleeved collared shirt, jeans/khakis and some relatively worn sneakers? I figure I can buy some stuff while I'm down there anyway.

Fernetlovva said:
So as a dude, I am I going to stick out if I walk around in a long sleeved collared shirt, jeans/khakis and some relatively worn sneakers? I figure I can buy some stuff while I'm down there anyway.

You don't even have to tuck your shirt in...

If you are from the US or are tall you will be better off buying clothes there.

Back