Company Paying-Where To Live?

I would also pass on puerto madero.....a over priced fake communtiy to me.... no shopping or stores....
You really can not go wrong with palermo, las canitas or belgrano or even barrio norte.
But it will depend on what sort of office space and size that you really need. It might be best to look at office space and housing more north---- Nunez, Martinez or Vincente Lopez if you are looking for good big office spaces.... well my 2 cents... good luck

Reactions: jb5
ghost said:
I would seriously question those statistics.

I probably would too if they were govt generated but as my company employs techies and project managers I can tell you that if youre not paying 5000 pesos you wont get anyone in the door for an interview ans thats the junior staff with 1 year experience.

fifs2 said:
I probably would too if they were govt generated but as my company employs techies and project managers I can tell you that if youre not paying 5000 pesos you wont get anyone in the door for an interview ans thats the junior staff with 1 year experience.

Agreed that is true for smaller companies but the flip side is that the large, multi-national companies aren't paying anything close to that for jr. staff.

I dont know about your lifestyle, but just if you like to travel, you might get a house or apartment with a parking lot and get a car.

About having a car, probably the Human Resources and/or Legal Department of the company you work for will provide you with information of the process.

If you decide to have a car, you may live at Puerto Madero, or residential neighbourhoods at a walking distance to the subway, in the last situation you will be able to be at downtown in a 40-50 minutes ride.

This is a wonderful country, and you may decide to travel as much as possible on weekends or holidays. This year there are 17 no-working days in Argentina. You can travel on a weekend to the beach, or rivers, and/or hills, etc.

Thanks for the help! The area we've come to love is the part of Belgrano, next to Las Canitas, that has many houses. Now to find one...if anyone knows of a home for rent let us know! I was told it's known as Belgrano Island, there are many embassies there.

jb5 said:
Actually, we get to choose where to put the office. So suggestions for that would be great too. Somewhere where engineers would be happy working.

We love good restaurants, good food markets, some quiet and somewhere to bike nearby.

Belgrano, near Cramer and Elcano saw a great house there the other day. Close to Palermo but a bit quieter, short ride down the hill (10-15) to the lake in Palermo park or go the opposite direction past Savaaedra to the big park there which has a good cycle circuit

Huh - thought I answered this. Anyway, there are quite a few available to rent in the area (I live right by there). I know there are 3 or 4 house with rental signs on Gorostiaga btwn LM Campos & Cabildo. Next time I walk by there, I'll write down the name & number of the rental agency.

Roxana said:
...If you decide to have a car, you may live at Puerto Madero....

:D ... a few ways to survive in PM without a car:
  1. Grab a taxi on the street to final destination
  2. Take a taxi to closest subte or public transport hub (~< $15)
  3. Take any of the colectivo lines that enter PM (2, 20, 64, 143, 152).
  4. Walk to Alem subte (B-line) (can be as close as ~ 4 blocks or ~15 min walk if you're on the east side of PM).
  5. Walk to Plaza de Mayo subte (A-line) (~20 min walk)
  6. Take the PM light-rail to the Corrientes stop, and walk to Alem subte (~3 blocks)
  7. Register and grab one of the shared city bikes at UCA in PM.
  8. Walk.

Software engineers are very well paid indeed. Unlike many asian countries, argentina never made any notable efforts to increase the "output" of software engineers in the universities. Studies are long and require a high effort so many people don't choose this career and those who do take a while until they finish college. Therefore there aren't enough software engineers and I don't see any reasons why this would change soon.

On the topic of the location of the office I think you should read about the parque patricios technology park. It is a project they started quite a while ago but just recently there was another article about it: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1346139-la-tecnologia-cambia-parque-patricios
To me, Palermo (or Recoleta, or Belgrano) seems more attractive but nevertheless you should know about it. I think there are tax incentives or something if you establish an office (of an IT business) in the designated area in parque patricios.

jb5 said:
Thanks for the help! The area we've come to love is the part of Belgrano, next to Las Canitas, that has many houses. Now to find one...if anyone knows of a home for rent let us know! I was told it's known as Belgrano Island, there are many embassies there.
That is part of Belgrano R. One reputable realtor in that area is Sergio Arias, another one is Belga ( Google them )

Back