Comparsion of supermarket prices Montevideo vs BA

By the way- Please Educate me as to YOUR reasons why Uruguay is so expensive, and how Argentina is going to avoid being similiar to Uruguay if Milei drops all import restrictions, and drops all support and subsidies and protections for Argentine businesses.
The USA, you will remember, has a "free market", and its flooded with chinese crap and yet everything there except iphones is still more expensive than in Argentina.

That is a photo of a Jarra Pinguino, a ceramic wine pitcher uniquely Argentine. This particular one is a "Smoking", which means Tuxedo in Lunfardo, and he is wearing one. I have been collecting these for 15 years or so. They were originated in Tigre, and many were made there.
Nice, you can order a “pingüino” of wine in quite a few Argentinian restaurants, I thought they were just some strange jugs.

You're doing something called flooding the zone with shit. You've made so many false statement that it's hard to respond to all of them.

1. You claim the leader of Paraguay Santiago Pena is a racist nazi. Please give me an example of his racism.

I'll give you an example of a peronist spewing vile white supremacy.

2. Why is Uruguay expensive?

It's has a small domestic economy where they can't take advantage of economies of scale when it comes to imports and related to domestic production. They have high taxes. They have to import fossil fuels.

3. Milei wants to drops all support, subsidies and protections for Argentine businesses.

This is false.

4. The USA, you will remember, has a "free market"

This is false.

5. Chinese crap

Not everything manufactured in China is crap. That's xenophobic nonsense.

6. Everything there except iphones is still more expensive than in Argentina.

This is false.

You're doing something called flooding the zone with shit. You've made so many false statement that it's hard to respond to all of them.

1. You claim the leader of Paraguay Santiago Pena is a racist nazi. Please give me an example of his racism.

It's has a small domestic economy where they can't take advantage of economies of scale when it comes to imports and related to domestic production. They have high taxes. They have to import fossil fuels.

3. Milei wants to drops all support, subsidies and protections for Argentine businesses.

This is false.

This is false.

5. Chinese crap

This is false.
That Fernandez made that statement attests to how out of touch he is to the world today. Spain, where he lives now, is multi-cultural. Comments like that in Spain won't be well received.

I did not mention Pena. I said Paraguay has "never emerged from being run by nazis", which is a completely different thing. The Colorado party still runs Paraguay.

And almost all of your other statements are opinions, just as mine are.
I have made things all my life. I have visited Argentine factories, I have dealt with Argentine wholesalers, I pay attention to country of origin for many things. I have done the same in the USA. I stand by my general position that the Argentine market has more local products than the US one. Certainly, not everything made in China is crap. I own a very nice chinese built self contained power hammer for forging metal, which weighs around 3500lbs, which I bought new, and like very much. But I prefer Argentine made Ombu or Pampero work clothes to chinese made clothing when I run it, forging red hot steel.

Nonetheless, you have not addressed, at all, why, exactly, Uruguay is so much more expensive than Argentina.
I believe there is a supportable argument that one of the major reasons is that Argentina has a manufacturing base, where cars, steel, machinery, electrical devices, garments, textiles, and much more is made, and, to some degree, exported.
I also believe that its pretty indisputable, that, regardless of whether or not the most recent president was racist or not, Peron, himself, in the 1940s, placed into law policies supporting Argentine industry.
You can like them or hate them, but the fact remains that he felt it important that Argentina made, domestically, jet planes, trucks, cars and buses, steel, machinery, and hundreds of other products, and he instituted a system or tariffs, duties, quotas, subsidies, price supports, nationalized industries, and government programs that made that happen.
Uruguay did not do that.
I think it helps explain the difference between the two countries.

here are some of my collection of Pinguinos. Collected over a span of more than 15 years. All are Industria Argentina. They were made in 1/4, 1/2, and 1 liter sizes. Curiously, they dont have these in Uruguay. .IMG_2348.JPG

This is false.

This is false.

5. Chinese crap

This is false.
Alberto is coming back to collect his 7MM pesos for life privileged pension. Aleluya

I did not mention Pena. I said Paraguay has "never emerged from being run by nazis", which is a completely different thing. The Colorado party still runs Paraguay.

And almost all of your other statements are opinions, just as mine are.
I have made things all my life. I have visited Argentine factories, I have dealt with Argentine wholesalers, I pay attention to country of origin for many things. I have done the same in the USA. I stand by my general position that the Argentine market has more local products than the US one. Certainly, not everything made in China is crap. I own a very nice chinese built self contained power hammer for forging metal, which weighs around 3500lbs, which I bought new, and like very much. But I prefer Argentine made Ombu or Pampero work clothes to chinese made clothing when I run it, forging red hot steel.

Nonetheless, you have not addressed, at all, why, exactly, Uruguay is so much more expensive than Argentina.
I believe there is a supportable argument that one of the major reasons is that Argentina has a manufacturing base, where cars, steel, machinery, electrical devices, garments, textiles, and much more is made, and, to some degree, exported.
I also believe that its pretty indisputable, that, regardless of whether or not the most recent president was racist or not, Peron, himself, in the 1940s, placed into law policies supporting Argentine industry.
You can like them or hate them, but the fact remains that he felt it important that Argentina made, domestically, jet planes, trucks, cars and buses, steel, machinery, and hundreds of other products, and he instituted a system or tariffs, duties, quotas, subsidies, price supports, nationalized industries, and government programs that made that happen.
Uruguay did not do that.
I think it helps explain the difference between the two countries.

Uruguay isn't ideal for manufacturing no matter what policies you put in place. That's why I think the comparison doesn't work. It has a very small domestic market. 3 million people last time I checked. Things start to get cheaper when you can scale them and there isn't sufficient internal demand to scale. That's one of the reasons why small countries are so much more reliant on trade. The companies there don't have access certain domestic raw materials, need to import more inputs, smaller labor pool, etc. Due to this fact internally produced products will be more expensive and that they need to rely more on imports will make it even more expensive.

Another reason why it's expensive is because they have very high taxes.

They have high energy costs.

It's a small country that has lots of money laundering and is used a safe haven for funds. This makes housing much more expensive.

Those are some of the reasons I believe that Uruguay is expensive.

Let's remember that Argentina is cheap in dollar terms, but for the locals that live here Argentina has been extremely expensive.

No one is arguing that Argentina should stop producing and import everything. The policies that foster that development is the debate. If you go full ISI and put up many tariffs, duties, quotas, etc over the long run that isn't going to work. There are many countries that implement for a period of time while they develop, but not over many decades like Argentina has attempted.

If you leave everything completely open, which no country does - including the US, it won't work either.

You need a blend of policies. I understand that you think the peronist way is the best way of achieving this. Because others believe that trade policies and incentives need to be changed doesn't mean they want to destroy Argentina.

Uruguay reminds me a lot of Canada compared to the United States; the boring, more expensive, if more stable version of the larger neighbor, that's basically the same country separated by a river/49th Parallel.

I think people forget just how small Uruguay is, it has 3.4 Million people, and it's population is flat thanks to Argentines moving there, otherwise it would have a negative growth rate, vs. Argentina which is over 13x more populated. While liberal economic policy (especially in smaller countries) can be a double-edged sword, Uruguay is basically CABA, and this is going to effect economies of scale. It's also been historically interconnected to Argentina's economy, meaning investment/tourism/etc. by Argentines when things are less bad here, and malaise or worse when we're in a hyper inflationary such as now.
Most Canadians are too polite to refute such utter nonsense made by our Yankee neighbours to the south. No one in Canada puts their wealth or house at risk if their health is at risk. But I am off topic (grocery prices compared between here and Montevideo), so I'll keep my rebuttal short. And as an LGBTQ person, I feel much safer in Canada than most places in the United States.

Back