Configuring Wireless Router w/ Fibertel

Coco

Registered
Hi all,

I finally made it back to BA, and am having trouble setting up my wireless network. I brought a Netgear RangeMax router from the States, updated the firmware to the latest world version, and am still having to reboot the Fibertel modem and my router several times a day. I understand that Fibertel provides static IP addresses, so I plugged directly into the cable modem and wrote down what appeared to be my static IP(v4), subnet mask, router (a.k.a. gateway?) addresses, as well as primary and secondary DNS addresses. I input all of this data into my router, which I set up for a static IP service, and couldn't get it to work.

Now here's the kicker: even though Fibertel is supposed to be a static ISP service, when I set the router to accept dynamic IP and DNS addresses, it works; for an hour or two anyway. Then I have to repeat the process of logging into my router and refreshing the system by fetching new IP and DNS addresses.

My native-speaking girlfriend has been on the phone with Fibertel twice now trying to get confirmation of our IP, subnet mask, router/gateway and DNS addresses, all to no avail.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'd really appreciate your guidance. Thanks all!

Sorry, I edited this post because I do have Fibertel and have a Linksys wireless router hooked up behind it with no problem.

See below for more info and fixes...

hi, I have had similar problems with using wireless routers here, and its all to do with the way they set things up here ( i setup netowrks, look after email/web/data servers firewalls etc so do know a bit).
what i have had to do is set up the router as a access point only.
so connect pc to modem, take note of ip address and netmask the modem gives your pc.
if for example the ip address is 192.168.0.10 and netmask is 255.255.255.0, use these to setup wireless router.
in wifi router put its ip as 192.168.0.100 and netmask as 255.255.255.0 .
dont set it up for DHCP, or set any DNS, as the modem will still pass those on via DHCP.
connect the wifi router to the modem using one of the lan ports (usually marked 1 to 4 on back) - not the WAN port.
hope this helps.. and dont worry about stuffing up wifi router, all you have to do is reset to put back to the settings it came with out of the box.

Davo

davonz said:
hi, I have had similar problems with using wireless routers here, and its all to do with the way they set things up here ( i setup netowrks, look after email/web/data servers firewalls etc so do know a bit).
what i have had to do is set up the router as a access point only.
so connect pc to modem, take note of ip address and netmask the modem gives your pc.
if for example the ip address is 192.168.0.10 and netmask is 255.255.255.0, use these to setup wireless router.
in wifi router put its ip as 192.168.0.100 and netmask as 255.255.255.0 .
dont set it up for DHCP, or set any DNS, as the modem will still pass those on via DHCP.
connect the wifi router to the modem using one of the lan ports (usually marked 1 to 4 on back) - not the WAN port.
hope this helps.. and dont worry about stuffing up wifi router, all you have to do is reset to put back to the settings it came with out of the box.

Davo

This may be another solution if your router is doing Network Address Translation (NAT). Make sure that the IP address you get is something starting with 192.168.x.x.

I believe Arnet may do NAT by default, but my Fibertel modem does not, so this approach will not work.

Realized I do have Fibertel (I just got rid of Arnet), and this exact setup works great for me. I have a Fibertel cable modem plugged directly into my Linksys wireless router. Also, Fibertel should not be a static service, they should assign you an IP address automatically so your router should be set up as such.

Here's a few questions:
- what IP address is your Netgear router getting for the WAN connection? If it starts with something other than 192.168.x.x, then this setup should work properly. (you can find this in the router web admin)
- do you have the latest firmware for your Netgear router? Check this on your router and look on the Netgear site. If not, update it.
- Did you replace the cable between the two? (probably not the issue, but who knows)
- Do you lose wireless access or only access to the Internet? Can you still access the Netgear when the Internet goes down?

it might also use 10.0.0.x, as that is the other commonly used private address space by routers.

Many thanks guys! You're right: Fibertel is a dynamic IP service, so I was misinformed. Davo's solution seems to be working great, so that's one less thing for me to worry about. I really appreciate all the quick replies fellas! Sorry mine was so late :)

davonz said:
so connect pc to modem, take note of ip address and netmask the modem gives your pc. if for example the ip address is 192.168.0.10 and netmask is 255.255.255.0, use these to setup wireless router. in wifi router put its ip as 192.168.0.100 and netmask as 255.255.255.0 . dont set it up for DHCP, or set any DNS, as the modem will still pass those on via DHCP. connect the wifi router to the modem using one of the lan ports (usually marked 1 to 4 on back) - not the WAN port.

Davo

How do you know what to set the IP address to in the wifi router after you´ve checked the IP address and netmask the modem gives your computer? Also, since Fibertel assigns dynamically, I don´t really understand why we have to configure the wifi router with a specific IP address. Finally, why do you plug the modem into one of the 4 regular ports instead of the WAN port?

These may be "stupid" questions or I might be mixing everything together! I do not know much about wifi installation. When I followed the steps on the TP-link setup CD, it didn´t work (the error was that the configuration didn´t work), so I reviewed your post.

Are you in the Palermo area? Would you be willing to come by to look at the configuration? I can pay 70 pesos for the hour (it will probably take less than an hour, I´m assuming).

Thanks!

tinto said:
How do you know what to set the IP address to in the wifi router after you´ve checked the IP address and netmask the modem gives your computer?
Each ip address has 4 parts, with 256 possible values - 0 to 255 (2^8).
I just put what i like for the router, if the modem gives your pc an address of say 192.168.1.2 via DHCP i would just give the router an upper range number so it doesnt conflict with modem (as DHCP probably has a range of 1 to 10 or something similar) eg 192.168.1.200.
The net mask will always be the same.

Also, since Fibertel assigns dynamically, I don´t really understand why we have to configure the wifi router with a specific IP address.
The WAN (wide area network - external network) address range might be dynamic, but the internal network will not be - or the address range will not be... eg your pc is 192.168.1.XXX the last 3 numbers might change via DHCP but thats it.

Finally, why do you plug the modem into one of the 4 regular ports instead of the WAN port?
Because you are by-passing the routers auto setup, and turning the router into a wifi access point only, so it just becomes another attached network device.

These may be "stupid" questions or I might be mixing everything together! I do not know much about wifi installation. When I followed the steps on the TP-link setup CD, it didn´t work (the error was that the configuration didn´t work), so I reviewed your post.
Only stupid question is the one not asked.
The CD probably didnt work because the modem is setup in a NOT normal way. Thats why i have had to setup my wifi router as an access point only.
Maybe they do it on purpose so you have to buy their WIFI router and get them to set it up - i dont know.
Also reseting the wifi router a few times might help it, as it might be able to learn what the modem settings are.

Are you in the Palermo area? Would you be willing to come by to look at the configuration? I can pay 70 pesos for the hour (it will probably take less than an hour, I´m assuming).

Thanks!
Yes i am in billinghurst and cordoba, if you are not to far out of the way i can have a look for you.

Davo,

Mil thanks for your detailed response to my questions. I already arranged with a tech to look at it this morning, but if he can´t get it to work I´ll write you. When I explained to him your suggestions for setting it up, he didn´t agree. So we´ll see...

courtney

Back