Wireless Router

MnParaPalermo

Registered
Hey expats,

I am currently on the hunt for a new Wi-Fi router. The one that we currently have in the house has a limited signal and disconnects often.

A friend of mine is coming down in a few weeks and I was thinking of asking her to bring Linksys or Netgear brand equipment. Naturally I thought the electronics from the US would be cheaper and of better quality. I have a converter, so the outlet issue should not be a problem.

I naturally assumed that the router would be cheaper and of better quality from the US, but I am unsure if it would even work down here....Or get intercepted by customs.

Any thoughts?

Hey expats,

I am currently on the hunt for a new Wi-Fi router. The one that we currently have in the house has a limited signal and disconnects often.

A friend of mine is coming down in a few weeks and I was thinking of asking her to bring Linksys or Netgear brand equipment. Naturally I thought the electronics from the US would be cheaper and of better quality. I have a converter, so the outlet issue should not be a problem.

I naturally assumed that the router would be cheaper and of better quality from the US, but I am unsure if it would even work down here....Or get intercepted by customs.

Any thoughts?
The only issue is the voltage. If you have stepdown transformer it will work fine. But if anyone ever makes the mistake of plugging it into an outlet here ... Poof!

32009_Step_Up_Down_Transformer_IMG_0786.jpg

If all you need is an 802.11g, might as well buy a D-link or Netgear at Mercadolibre and save yourself any headache.

Normally routers come with a separate power adaptor. Just bring the US router, check the voltage and +/- and buy a local adaptor. Done.

Reactions: Joe
Most modern consumer electronics products are produced for the global market and thus work with 100-240V and 50/60 Hz.
I'm don't think that's true in North America maybe Europe.... Laptops yes, most everything else, no...

I brought a Motorola wireless router with me last year. Works fine. Just make sure it is 110 240. Also brought LG Wireless smart Blu ray DVD player. No problem with that either.

Reactions: Joe
what about the frequency 60/50 cycles?
Most modern consumer electronics products are produced for the global market and thus work with 100-240V and 50/60 Hz.

Routers come with included but separate power adaptors, like so:

Original-for-Cisco-font-b-Linksys-b-font-SPA500-CP500-SPA-900-SPA900-font-b-Linksys.jpg

If what it says is the same as what it says on this one, which is that it works with 100-240V and 50/60 Hz, then as thorsten said great - all you need is an adaptor for the plug and you're good.

If not, you simply check the voltage (in this example where it says OUTPUT: 5V), make note of positive/negative center, and buy a local 220v adapter with the same voltage and positive/negative center. Generally the plug size is standardized per the output voltage. I doubt it'll cost more than 100 pesos.

I'm don't think that's true in North America maybe Europe.... Laptops yes, most everything else, no...

Correct all the appliances TV sets and kitchen appliances I brought down here were 50 cycles,

Back