Cons to getting Argentine citizenship for Americans?

kurtdillard said:
Pursuing dual-citizenship would also make it much harder to succeed in politics. There may be other careers that would be impacted.

I wouldn't want to live off the public teat anyway. I'd rather make an honest living.

bradlyhale said:
In the Latin American countries I've visited, everyone I've spoken with has been able to differentiate people and politics.

Ditto (almost). There have been a few isolated incidences where I experienced obvious indignation for my country and it's polices. I've found that if you lead with respect, then respect follows.

As for Argentina, I've experienced almost nothing but a very high level of personal respect and kindness. To this day people I've known for years still insist on calling me "Sr. Yeffrey." That's accross 7 years of living here.

el_expatriado said:
Ever since Bush II, Americans are really hated abroad, including here in Argentina. I am going to be happy to have another nationality to use when travelling.

I actually don't agree at all with that. I travel all the time for work and have never had a problem being from the US. And I certainly am not "hated" in Argentina because of my country of birth and I would bet you aren't either.

And if people are going to judge you based on your nationality, it's not as though you get a passport and it automatically makes you sacronsant. Unless you are a skilled linguist and fit the physical mold, most people will still probably identify you as from the US or wherever, even if have a local passport.

However as Bradleyhale said - most people, in my experience, are well able to separate the person from the politics practiced in a country. Any people hating me generally do it for personal reasons;) Of course there are the random outliers of people who might judge on a place of birth but it's my experience that is the exception, not the rule.

Personally, I've not seen any compelling reason to have citizenship vs residency nor do I have any intention of obtaining citizenship here despite having assets. Maybe at some point in the future but right now, there is no need that I can see.

I will echo that having double citienship voluntarily obtained later in life, would most probably exclude you from security clearance or make it *very* complicated to obtain. Which may/may not impact someone in a professional capacity.

Outside of that, I can't think of any real negatives. I'm just not sure I see the real positives either.

I did not mean that the World hate the US americans. But the chances you are privately affected by the wrongdoings of your govt. (which you may even hate yourself!) is higher in the US/UK than in Argentina, as Argentina plays no meaningful role in the World politics -with the exception of the immediate neighbours.
I happened to be hiking in northern Pakistan just a few months before September 11th. There I traveled a bit with someone from Texas. Every time he said he was from the US he was harassed by young pakistanis who had Osama as their hero and were celebrating the recent attack on a US warship (don't remember exactly where that was, I believe in the Persian Gulf). Although from Texas, he was totally against Bush. The pakistanis could not care less: he was American and that was all that counted. After a few days he started to tell people he was from Argentina - as I said I was. That changed everything. People started to talk about football with us and not about politics.

Amargo said:
I did not mean that the World hate the US americans. But the chances you are privately affected by the wrongdoings of your govt. (which you may even hate yourself!) is higher in the US/UK than in Argentina, as Argentina plays no meaningful role in the World politics -with the exception of the immediate neighbours.
I happened to be hiking in northern Pakistan just a few months before September 11th. There I traveled a bit with someone from Texas. Every time he said he was from the US he was harassed by young pakistanis who had Osama as their hero and were celebrating the recent attack on a US warship (don't remember exactly where that was, I believe in the Persian Gulf). Although from Texas, he was totally against Bush. The pakistanis could not care less: he was American and that was all that counted. After a few days he started to tell people he was from Argentina - as I said I was. That changed everything. People started to talk about football with us and not about politics.

I believe you're referring to the USS Cole bombing while it was docked at port Aden in Yemen (October, 2000).

And your story about Northern Pakistanis speaks more about the Northern Pakistanis who supported Osama than it does about the US government and its policies.

In 2005, when the earthquake hit Northern Pakistan (the Azad Kashmir region), the Americans were the first ones not only to send supplies but also set up mobile clinics in the region. The Pakistani government was both incapable of getting the supplies to the affected region and also their convoys were looted countless times.

The US clinics worked round the clock and were very effective in the beginning but later the Taliban and Osama supporters spread rumors that "the Great Satan" was there to poison all the Muslims. And so a lot of people stopped taking the medication supplied by the Americans. There were anti American riots, in fact, and the government of Pakistan was accused of being traitors for letting the Americans into the country without a fight and for letting the Americans poison the Pakistanis.

Yeah, if you're going to be worried about people like that hating you, then you're probably better off just staying in your own country. Travelling isn't really for you.

Oh and how do I know this? I left Pakistan that same year in November (and that's all I'm going to say about that :)).

Side Story: The above kind of sounds like some of the Indonesians, when they blamed the tsunami on the Israelis. According to them, Israel set off a bomb in the ocean to kill Muslims. Just because a group of loonies creates an opinion in their head doesn't mean you should start worrying about your place in the world.

Hah, I remembered another one, recently there was an increased activity of shark attacks on some Egyptian beach. The Egyptian government blamed it on the Mossad. Yup! The Mossad apparently trained the sharks to kill Egyptians. At the same time, in Saudi Arabia, they caught a bird that had escaped from the Hebrew University (I think) and the Saudis claimed victory over the cunning Mossad by "arresting" their bird! Iranians likewise caught an "Israeli squirrel" a couple of years ago.

As for the topic:

Why is everyone worried about going to jail? I didn't know I was hanging out on this forum with a bunch of mafiosos who are always in danger of being arrested.

Are there cons to being an Argentine? Well not at the moment but seeing that Argentina is used to having fascist governments (current one is no different), you never know when they will decide to make their citizens ask for permission before they can leave the country. Kind of like Cuba does right now and the Soviet Union did before it went to hell.

Yeah, its highly unlikely but it could happen. Then you're screwed.

Get the citizenship if you don't have to worry about security clearance or becoming the next President or whatever. There's no real con to having any citizenship AS LONG AS you keep your American citizenship.

As for voting, well yeah, its an obligation but not like every single Argentine follows it as if it were an order from the pope. But I would suggest you respect the laws of the land if you're actually thinking of taking on citizenship (well, you should respect the laws regardless, but you know what I mean :D).

This can't get as bad a Cuba, can it? In Cuba they spy on everything you do and if you talk against the government then ... hold on a minute ... someone is knocking on my door. Be right back ...

GS_Dirtboy said:
This can't get as bad a Cuba, can it? In Cuba they spy on everything you do and if you talk against the government then ... hold on a minute ... someone is knocking on my door. Be right back ...

Haha. Nope. It isn't and like I said, its HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Missed that one, did ya? :D

Back