Considering A 2 Year Move...some Questions.

Regarding safety: I live in Palermo and have not felt unsafe or insecure at any time and I walk around at night alone (I am of the female variety!). Of course I keep my wits about me and my bag firmly attached and only carry what I need. There are plenty of people about at all times on the main roads. Never been ripped off by a taxi driver: they put the meter on and that's that. Never been overcharged in a restaurant.

Many of the things a lot of us complain about (and we do;) won't even affect you with such a short term stay. Enjoy the adventure and go out and experience all the travel possible. Argentina is an absolutely amazing place and between trips to Mendoza and Patagonia and Salta and Missiones and, and and - you'll not get bored!

It is an amazing country but its also huge and transport isnt the best nor cheapest. Buenos Aires province alone is bigger than the UK, so the idea of a trip to the seaside isnt an hour away its 3-4 hours or the second city 10 hours drive or an hour or so on the plane. Going to these places are fine but travelling like the OP would be with a 1 and 3 year old i`m not so sure you`d get to see much. I recently went to Misiones with a 3 and 5 year old and that was tough, I think the waterfalls last 30 minutes before they were moaning to go home.
I`d suggest bring your baby bjorn and a spare set of shoulders if you decide to take a 1 and 3 year old travelling around Argentina.

I have a free website with lots of good info on it I've saved from different sources, no spam or adware, totally free.
http://www.argentina-info.net
I'm from the USA but have lived in Recoleta for almost 15 years now with my partner and we still love Argentina. This is an amazing country and a beautiful city with lots of culture, museums, night life, etc.., there are problems here, but there are problems everywhere in the world and I feel safer here then I did walking the streets of San Francisco.
Cheers and good luck!
Pete & Ron

It is an amazing country but its also huge and transport isnt the best nor cheapest. Buenos Aires province alone is bigger than the UK, so the idea of a trip to the seaside isnt an hour away its 3-4 hours or the second city 10 hours drive or an hour or so on the plane. Going to these places are fine but travelling like the OP would be with a 1 and 3 year old i`m not so sure you`d get to see much. I recently went to Misiones with a 3 and 5 year old and that was tough, I think the waterfalls last 30 minutes before they were moaning to go home.
I`d suggest bring your baby bjorn and a spare set of shoulders if you decide to take a 1 and 3 year old travelling around Argentina.

Good point - it isnt the easiest but it's doable. It's true you might not enjoy it in quite the same way as sans kids (maybe no wine tasting tours in Mendoza;) but there are lots of options. I travel with the citykids (who are 2.5) and have always and I know one of my expat mom friends who recently returned to the UK traveled all over with her kids. And yes, expensive but it's not like you can take the pesos with you or convert them to dollars/euros/pounds so might as well spend them ;)

There is an a group of expat parents on FB that your wife can join - it's great for meeting other parents. Will your kids be in school? Also easy to meet people through that.

Do you have the name of the group? Lots of groups with Buenos Aires in the title. I've joined the Expat Hub one but I presume the one you refer to is dedicated to parents.

Thanks

Hi I would recommend Recoleta as it is very safe and has lots of parks for your kids. Perhaps I am biased because my kid grew up in Recoleta while we lived in Buenos Aires. We are now back in Canada and are renting our 3 bedroom apartment both for short and long term.
Here is the link: http://www.bbiargentina.com/listings/bright-3-bedroom-apartment-in-recoleta
if you are interested you can contact me through the website.
Thanks.

Do you have the name of the group? Lots of groups with Buenos Aires in the title. I've joined the Expat Hub one but I presume the one you refer to is dedicated to parents.

Thanks

Sent you a private message with the info :)

I can concur with PretteJohn with pretty much everything, although food wise I had to go to at least an indian or chinese restaurant once a week to revitalise my taste buds.
Looks like it will be two less Johns in Argentina soon as we`re also going back to the UK in a couple of weeks :)

Good luck with it all anyway.

3 years ago we asked the same information to the forum here. We had a 2 year old and 3 year old at the time. We came on a 2 year contract and then extended it by another year. We are now returning to the UK at the end of the year. Having reread my original post I realise it quickly became a place which descended into a very polarised argument of lovers and haters. Argentina is a constant paradox but then it does make it an interesting place to live.

We live a long way out of the city in Hurlingham which is lovely for about two blocks but not very pleasant beyond that. This is significant. You'll be living in amuch more pleasant area than ourselves however we live in a house with a small swimming pool which is great however it is covered in bars from a security point of view.

We're returning for a variety of reasons mostly because we miss our family but also because we used to like going for walks in the beautiful English countryside at the weekend , not having to worry about our security each time we go out, ability to get post from Grandparents (forget about getting parcels - they don't get through), difficult to buy quality goods unless they're exorbitantly priced, the need to drive for hours to see anything of geographical interest (However there are some stunning sites to be seen but it's best to take a plane), bureaucracy, and the urban living can grind you down when you have kids . Also the economy really isn't great as I'm sure you're aware.

So why did we stay for longer than our original 2 years? Having young kids is an open invitation to meeting many lovely Argentine people who really love the family lifestyle. We can go to a parilla every weekend with friends if we wanted to. Also in the space of two years our children were bilingual and for us that has been really important as the benefits of growing up bilingual are significant. Also the food is good and you can eat out very reasonably but watch your weight and don't expect much variety. Pasta, malbec, meat, pizza, empanadas, milanesa, chicken. And of course the climate which is really pleasant most of the year.

We arrived with 8 bags on the aircraft and are trying to leave with 8 bags. It's the best way to go. Do not send over loads of stuff. You'll spend most of the first year trying to get it into the country and most of the second year trying to get it home again.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

Good luck!

Hi just to let you all know formally let work know that I'd like to be considered for a expat move to BA. Obviously nothing is guaranteed as budgets need to be approved and roles need to be available etc. But I'm given to believe there is much stronger chance of it happening than not.

Thanks again to everyone for their candid input it truly helped with our decision to progress.

Will let you all know when/if things progress as no doubt we'll need help with our packing list and preparation.

For now time to start brushing up my Spanish!

Back